Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:52 AM

17 posts, read 58,006 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are considering moving to SLC from Northern Virginia. I have a couple of questions.
My boyfriend needs to have metro access to work. What neighborhoods are good for that. Somewhere that would get him to UTA quickly and reliably. He has a medical condition that does not allow him to drive. The company suggested West Valley but I have heard some negative things about it.

2. What is the pace like there he has lived in Boston, and New York and the pace of Northern Va is too slow for him. What is it like there. Are there things to do.
3. What is the downtown like I saw somewhere that the major malls there are being overhauled. Where do you shop in the meantime.

4. I am African American and he is Puerto Rican. Will we have problems finding acceptance. Will I have problems getting a job not being white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 220,116 times
1- Where does your boyfriend work? I assume downtown. You should know that Salt Lake is still primarily a commute-by-car town. The light rail (TRAX) system has one line that travels down the middle of the valley... It's not really walking distance for too many people, but most of the valley is within a 10 - 15 minute car ride of a TRAX station. That line will take him downtown or up to the University of Utah... but unlike the DC Metro system... there is only one main line... not multiple lines. As far as neighborhoods... I prefer the East Side of the Salt Lake Valley. Try Holladay or Sandy... great upper-middle class areas, low crime... near the city... lots of things to do.... closest to the beautiful mountains.

PACE.... where at in Northern Virginia did he live??? I assume you're referring to the DC metro area.... if that's the case.... Salt Lake City will definetely be too slow of pace. I lived in DC for a while and personally I think it's possibly the most over-worked place in the country. Salt Lake is much more laid back than the DC area... (40 hour work week is standard... not 55). Now if your talking about Richmond, Virginia that's a different story... but you should definetely know that Utahn's WORK to PLAY not WORK to WORK.

3- There are plenty of places to shop and socialize in Salt Lake... it's true the downtown City Center project will be going on for a couple of years... but the Gateway mall is located on the western edge of downtown and it offers wonderful high-end shopping. Trolley Square is on the eastern edge of downtown and it also has a plethora of shopping. Plus there are at least 5 suburban malls within 40 minutes of downtown Salt Lake... you'll have no problem finding places to shop.

4- I highly doubt you'll have any problem getting a job because you're not white... to the contrary... your ethnicity will likely HELP you get a job in Salt Lake... as there are fewer minorities around. It's true that Salt Lake is mostly white... but I don't think you'll have a problem being accepted... I've known several people that come from a different racial background and none of them have complained. I would avoid settling in a smaller town... but you should be find most anyplace in the greater Salt Lake -Ogden -Provo metropolitan area.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,881 times
Hi,

This is from my mother who has lived in SLC for 60 years ... uh oh, she says of West Valley "hoodlums, crime, vandals" - not a good sign, but then she said something about the good stadium???

Lots to do in SLC - a lot of clubs, dancing, guest artists ... (but in my opinion, wow, really not super fast paced living, but what do I know, it's been a long time since I've been there).

Easy to get a job because you're not not white. "People bend over backwards" (to hire non-white???). Something like that. My mother says no problem.

My mother says she is a member of a club called "servas" - people who have lived around the world, anywhere, are invited to a monthly club-party. She wants you to know in case you are intested.

best wishes, good luck ...

Old 10-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Ps

I forgot to mention that I just left Northern Virginia after 13 years. I guess the suburbs might be considered slow-paced, but obviously you're not talking about Adams Morgan or Dupont Circle, right?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:40 PM

214 posts, read 872,180 times
you should be ok in living in salt lake city and west valley city ain't that bad it's all hype to me but of course i use to live in near east oakland, and kick it with friends in south central los angeles so when i hear west valley city as being a thug city yeah right. i would not live in rose park on the west side of salt lake. but i would half to agree the life style is kind of slower but there starting to have alot of stuff to do since the last time i was there that was back in 1996. just to let you know the reason its more of a slower place city it's more of a family type of town. here are some stuff that i saw on the internet which you should view is Downtown Rising :: Home, www.cottonwoodmall.com,www.marketstationliving.com (broken link) these are some site you should view these places will be under construction for the next's few years should be finish 2011-12 but i could be wrong. i hope you fine what your looking for in salt lake city.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:09 AM

Thanks so much for all of your replies, It has eased alot of my fears about Salt Lake. It sounds like you are all pretty happy living there. I like the work to play concept. Work schedules in Northern Va are grueling. I think we will do fine there

Old 10-25-2007, 05:19 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
My friend who is originally from Salt Lake moved to Centreville, VA about 7 years ago to get married. She can't wait to move back here. She doesn't like the area she's in now.

Welcome to Utah.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:14 PM

So funny, I grew up in SLC, moved to Northern Virginia in my 20s after college and living abroad (lived in Arlington, McLean, Manassas). Now I just moved to Lexington, KY in the last 3 months.

It is lovely to be back visiting in SLC - you can actually get in the car to go to the store and be back home in 20 minutes. The scale is wonderful compared to Northern Virginia and DC. {Lexington is the same}. SLC is a lovely place. My childhood friends who stayed have not fared well, but that's a conversation for another time. It's not something I entirely understand. Those who at least left for a time (for college, etc.) fared better. But all of that is neither here nor there - it's a nice place.

PS - wwwkelley, it's me again, just thought the comment about Centreville was so interesting so I had to comment!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:19 AM

How funny, I lived in Lexington for a short time. I am also very close to Centerville. We will be going out to SLC shortly to visit and ck out the areas. My attitude at this point is that I will have to wait and see. Thanks for the post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area