Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 15,792 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I recently accepted a job offer in Park City (woohoo!) and I'm wondering if I would be completely insane to consider driving from SLC to Park City. I would only need to get up there 2 days a week, maybe 3 days a week max on some weeks, but do you all think that the 80 would just be a disaster in the winter? I have a great old Jeep with 4WD that has gotten me through 5 Utah and 3 New England winters, but the climb up the Parley's pass would be a brand new commute for me. The job itself is over by the high school and I was thinking I could find a place somewhere in Sugarhouse, near the highway, and it would be loads cheaper than getting an apartment in Park City and more convenient too. What do you all think, crazy or doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 09:19 PM

85 posts, read 289,683 times
Two days a week is doable. If there's more for you down in SLC and you won't need to be in PC on the other five days of the week, you might as well live in SLC. It sounds like you have an appropriate vehicle and winter driving experience, which are definite pluses, as sometimes there are 4WD/chains restrictions. Even though things can get sketchy as far as weather, it is a major interstate, and they do a pretty good job of keeping it passable. UDOT's commuter link website is a great resource to check for closures and delays before you head out.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the info nyllie. I've got family and weekly school commitments at the hospital in Salt Lake, hence my preference for wanting, and needing, to live there. I figure whether or not the highway is passable will be a bit of a crap shoot during the winter, but I wanted to see if people who actually make the drive would ever recommend it to someone else!

Along those lines, does anyone have any information about the commuter bus from SLC to Park City? I just recently read about it and was wondering if anyone has used it and how reliable/convenient it is to use.

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2014, 05:54 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
Jeremy Ranch may be a nice option in the middle or somewhat closer to PC but cheaper.

IMO it would be a good balance of each.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times
My wife commuted from about Highland (~1100 East in Salt Lake) to PCMR for a little over a year in a late 90's FWD sedan without snow tires, chains or any issues. I have a handful of coworkers who commute to our office (downtown Salt Lake) from Park City every day and have for years. It's a major interstate. As long as you get a few sick days to use on the days it's actually dangerous to make the drive (maybe 2 or 3 times a year) you'll be fine.

Personally I'd recommend a set of winter and summer tires regardless of what you drive (even if it's a Subaru or Audi) but if you drive safely and give yourself plenty of extra time on days when it snows, the drive isn't scary by any means.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll look into any housing options in Jeremy Ranch/Kimball Junction area. Does anyone know if there are any longterm apartment rentals in those areas? And I'm thinking the commute will be possible most of the time and on those days when it isn't due to snow, I doubt any of my patients will be coming in themselves! And I think I will invest in a good pair of snow tires this go around. Oddly enough, I've never had any before, despite living in cold weather locales for nearly 10 years!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:38 PM

85 posts, read 289,683 times
Actual apartment complexes in Park City are usually low income, so if you don't fall into that category you'll basically be renting from a private owner or management company that they use. This is a good time to find something because it's not ski season, and there are definitely longer term rentals to be found. Craigslist will be where you find them in PC. I still think that you can make the commute from SLC if it's only two days a week. Where are you living now? PM me if you end up needing a short-term housing solution in Kimball.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:19 AM

I'm actually living in San Diego right now, but I did my undergrad in Utah and grad in CT, so I'm also looking for housing from a distance. Not super fun. But, I think I'm settled on living in Salt Lake and making the commute up to PC those few days. I was actually able to speak with a family friend who does the reverse commute and he let me know it's totally fine 99% of the time even in his little Prius! Thanks for all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area