Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 03:15 PM

54 posts, read 89,986 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen a thread like this that's recent so I thought I'd start one.

Can someone explain to me why so many people wish to build ridiculously large houses that are $700K+ right next to mega developments or major roads? The lots these people build homes on are also minuscule.

I'm worried about the future of the South Valley, mainly South Jordan, Riverton, Herriman, and Bluffdale. Many people moved here thinking that it would be secluded for a long time and now face the risk of having low-income residential development being built right next to the open area they once desired. If these people built within the last 5-10 years, I don't really have a lot of sympathy...They should have seen this coming. But it is different for people who built here before that. There wasn't quite as much development happening aside from the Mcmansions with decent sized lots. Now every open parcel is being converted into walkable communities, townhomes, or massive apartment complexes. The income disparity will become really evident in the coming years.

I'm about ready to run away somewhere but I'm also convinced the land prices will skyrocket and the houses on normal-sized lots will become very expensive. The housing and rent prices will become inflated because of the economic development in the area as well. I almost foresee similar circumstances as the Silicon Valley is currently facing coming for us several years in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
We're running out of land. It's only gonna get more expensive and the less desirable sites are what's left to build on.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:50 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
OK so I'll give you my perspective. I won't guarantee it will be in agreement with most that live out here as frankly I do NOT meet the typical demographic. What is the demographic in Herriman for example? I'll try this for starters.

* Average age 25-35
* Typically 2 SUV's in each oversized garage with ATV's Pocket Bikes and other toys for adults as well
* On average 4-6 kids per household hence the "McMansion" need to accommodate the brats.
* Average income between $50k-$70k with mom staying at home to raise the brood.
* Average attitude, "I'll do as a dang well please because I'm in Utah
* Taxes hiked each and every year to accommodate the burgeoning brat population

I and my wife built back in 2003 when things were just getting started here. I even attended the City Council meetings back then to see what was happening in the growth patterns. Basically the mayor and his cronies lied through their fat cat teeth all those years telling us the hills would not be built on and growth would be monitored and maintained at a sustainable level. Oh yeah, that lasted till around 2007 when that mayor was gone and another one came in. Now they've just revealed, after turning land loose big time, allowing for thousands of new homes to be built towards the hills, that those hills were sold to private investors, who, will now proceed to rape...er I mean reap the profits selling them off for MORE homes and even possibly a gated community to be built way up on top of those hills for those that can shell out for the land. The city is more than happy to accommodate said greedy bas%$rds in their overtaking what was left of any kind of scenery to be had here, let alone hiking trails and open spaces one could actually try to enjoy the area for.

The entire concept of uncontrolled growth here has become like a giant burr in my butt. My demographic is I'm stuck helping with the overpopulation of the area and said school system, that is coming after the homeowners (ALL regardless of their age and child status) for more $$ each and every year. They are tightening the squeeze on us older folks that have not had kids nor any in their system from the start. Yet the wide brush of taxation without representation continues. So those of us struggling in our 60's and now underemployed due to the faked great economy have to think about us being thrown under this rather large tax bus. Somehow it seems impossible for any government officials to have a clue how to "CONTROL" growth, as they'd rather just let it run it's course till ALL open space and beautiful land is gone to mega housing, which are typically now stuffed next to each other. I'm keeping an eye on this so called great economy and looking towards a opportunity to sell and get OUT of this pressure cooker town and it's typical money driven city council and mayor.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
OK so I'll give you my perspective. I won't guarantee it will be in agreement with most that live out here as frankly I do NOT meet the typical demographic. What is the demographic in Herriman for example? I'll try this for starters.

* Average age 25-35
* Typically 2 SUV's in each oversized garage with ATV's Pocket Bikes and other toys for adults as well
* On average 4-6 kids per household hence the "McMansion" need to accommodate the brats.
* Average income between $50k-$70k with mom staying at home to raise the brood.
* Average attitude, "I'll do as a dang well please because I'm in Utah
* Taxes hiked each and every year to accommodate the burgeoning brat population

I and my wife built back in 2003 when things were just getting started here. I even attended the City Council meetings back then to see what was happening in the growth patterns. Basically the mayor and his cronies lied through their fat cat teeth all those years telling us the hills would not be built on and growth would be monitored and maintained at a sustainable level. Oh yeah, that lasted till around 2007 when that mayor was gone and another one came in. Now they've just revealed, after turning land loose big time, allowing for thousands of new homes to be built towards the hills, that those hills were sold to private investors, who, will now proceed to rape...er I mean reap the profits selling them off for MORE homes and even possibly a gated community to be built way up on top of those hills for those that can shell out for the land. The city is more than happy to accommodate said greedy bas%$rds in their overtaking what was left of any kind of scenery to be had here, let alone hiking trails and open spaces one could actually try to enjoy the area for.

The entire concept of uncontrolled growth here has become like a giant burr in my butt. My demographic is I'm stuck helping with the overpopulation of the area and said school system, that is coming after the homeowners (ALL regardless of their age and child status) for more $$ each and every year. They are tightening the squeeze on us older folks that have not had kids nor any in their system from the start. Yet the wide brush of taxation without representation continues. So those of us struggling in our 60's and now underemployed due to the faked great economy have to think about us being thrown under this rather large tax bus. Somehow it seems impossible for any government officials to have a clue how to "CONTROL" growth, as they'd rather just let it run it's course till ALL open space and beautiful land is gone to mega housing, which are typically now stuffed next to each other. I'm keeping an eye on this so called great economy and looking towards a opportunity to sell and get OUT of this pressure cooker town and it's typical money driven city council and mayor.
I agree wholeheartedly with all of this. The only cities which have somewhat capped their growth seem to be Riverton and Bluffdale, however I suspect that it is only so that they can sell the land at ridiculously high prices in a few years once South Jordan and Herriman run out of room. By that time only medium density development will be constructed. The only reason I am somewhat safe from overdevelopment is because of the Jordan River and completed but sparse suburban development around me.

Honestly...If houses will be built on those hills in Herriman then they will all be burnt to shreds by the careless idiots over at Camp Williams with their "test incendiaries" and "shooting ranges" (There are already annual fires there anyway).

While all of this is being done we still haven't seen Traverse Mountain Cement Plant recede their efforts at tearing up the point of the mountain. The dust that place kicks up in the summer is unbelievable. I also don't see the hype for Daybreak as it definitely seems overcrowded and the view of Kennecott is wonderful. Somehow these houses go for really high prices despite having no yards and being crowded in like a factory farm.

The recent building of a Walmart grocery store in my area shows how careless these fools in the city government are. It would be cool if people in this region cared about good quality food and stores instead of a bunch of fast food. I guess it's just due to the high youth population.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
There is growth here because there are jobs. Many locals may it appreciate how good (relative basis) that jobs are here. You don't have Cali cost of living but you're getting similar wages. You'll continue to see upward pressure on housing for some time. The city really needs to look at more build up to improve population density if they want to sustain it.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 AM

128 posts, read 267,976 times
I love the example of Daybreak, it's trying to create a more walkable community in the middle of car centric suburbia. If Daybreak was further north I would think of buying something there.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:00 PM

388 posts, read 549,256 times
I chuckled at the Herriman mcmansion owners' hysterics about further building in Herriman. Buffdale's bucolic nature was always going to be raped and pillaged once the prison plan became a go, the real question is whether there will be another crash in the property market due to oversupply.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
I chuckled at the Herriman mcmansion owners' hysterics about further building in Herriman. Buffdale's bucolic nature was always going to be raped and pillaged once the prison plan became a go, the real question is whether there will be another crash in the property market due to oversupply.
I think that most of the excess land from and around the prison will be commercial, thus having little to no effect on the land/home prices (Except possibly raise prices).

Besides, plenty of land is still available west of Daybreak...Heh.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:41 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
The plan is to build up ALL that portion of unused land just West of SR-111 all of which is already tainted by Kennecott for many years now. Those that build in Daybreak already have to sign a document acknowledging that they should not grow food upon that land (as it was tainted with tailings and chemicals by Kennecott over the last century. Bluffdale folks are pretty feisty so my hats off to them for not putting up too much with government bullying. Herriman's city council and mayor have been in governments (and private land owners) hip pockets for over a decade now, they aren't about to stop now. It's not just the housing prices themselves, it's the taxes that are going to grow exponentially from now on. The gov't had learned all they have to do is levy the tax and the people will keep their mouths shut. Well not mine, but I'm a minority to say the least. What will shut them all up (and down) is the next financial crisis. Dozens in our neighborhood lost their homes the last time, the next time won't be so generous. And it's well known Utah companies pay LESS than most. With the financial bust of the mid 2000's now they an purposely pay less and get away with it, let alone offer little to no medical coverages. Welcome to our GREAT economy.....NOT

Old 03-17-2015, 02:57 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
The plan is to build up ALL that portion of unused land just West of SR-111 all of which is already tainted by Kennecott for many years now. Those that build in Daybreak already have to sign a document acknowledging that they should not grow food upon that land (as it was tainted with tailings and chemicals by Kennecott over the last century. Bluffdale folks are pretty feisty so my hats off to them for not putting up too much with government bullying. Herriman's city council and mayor have been in governments (and private land owners) hip pockets for over a decade now, they aren't about to stop now. It's not just the housing prices themselves, it's the taxes that are going to grow exponentially from now on. The gov't had learned all they have to do is levy the tax and the people will keep their mouths shut. Well not mine, but I'm a minority to say the least. What will shut them all up (and down) is the next financial crisis. Dozens in our neighborhood lost their homes the last time, the next time won't be so generous. And it's well known Utah companies pay LESS than most. With the financial bust of the mid 2000's now they an purposely pay less and get away with it, let alone offer little to no medical coverages. Welcome to our GREAT economy.....NOT
If it makes you feel better the apartment market is booming... gee, wonder why?

Utah Local News - Salt Lake City News, Sports, Archive - The Salt Lake Tribune

I do feel slightly bad for those people who are gonna spend huge amounts of money on tainted industrial land out in the SW valley area... not a good sign when you have to sign a disclaimer stating your shouldn't eat anything grown in your own dirt. That should be a sign that maybe you shouldn't be spending your life there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area