Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:14 AM

163 posts, read 318,531 times

Advertisements

Here's my perspective: Two kids attended the U, one graduated there and another transferred out. My third and youngest kid attended community college in northern California, and is now transferring to the U. California's UC schools are some of the country's best, but the community college system is an overcrowded mess. It felt like my kid completely missed out on most of the "real" college experience. Making the jump into its impacted 4-year schools if you haven't gotten your 60 credits in yet is a real challenge, and even for in-state students, tuition costs are incredibly steep. BTW, we are not LDS.

I think your parents are pointing you in a smart direction, and you should seriously consider it. I also suspect that some well-meaning respondents have no idea what the situation is like for California kids who get off-track in the college system, so they may not fully appreciate your situation.

Keep an open mind, and I hope you have a great visit to Salt Lake City!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 AM

388 posts, read 549,256 times
I suppose my question is considering the drop out of 4 yr college and community college by the ripe old age of 19, do the parents think that Utah is going to party proof such a student? At 19, the idea of impacted classes probably wouldn't have been the issue in the 4 yr school or even the CC if it is to be assumed this student is a freshman aged uni student? As a transfer from OOS tuition in Utah is over 40K a yr inc housing. If the student stays at home in cali, persists through CC (and repairs academic damage) and transfers back into a more reputable 4 yr it would still save money. Really, a kid that gets off track is probably better served by getting a job and having a breather and reassesing priorities.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:25 PM

403 posts, read 597,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcee499 View Post
Here's my perspective: Two kids attended the U, one graduated there and another transferred out. My third and youngest kid attended community college in northern California, and is now transferring to the U. California's UC schools are some of the country's best, but the community college system is an overcrowded mess. It felt like my kid completely missed out on most of the "real" college experience. Making the jump into its impacted 4-year schools if you haven't gotten your 60 credits in yet is a real challenge, and even for in-state students, tuition costs are incredibly steep. BTW, we are not LDS.

I think your parents are pointing you in a smart direction, and you should seriously consider it. I also suspect that some well-meaning respondents have no idea what the situation is like for California kids who get off-track in the college system, so they may not fully appreciate your situation.

Keep an open mind, and I hope you have a great visit to Salt Lake City!
Thanks for understanding! I go to the biggest community college in California. It's a complete disaster here.

I will definitely keep an open mind. I am excited to visit!

Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM

403 posts, read 597,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
I suppose my question is considering the drop out of 4 yr college and community college by the ripe old age of 19, do the parents think that Utah is going to party proof such a student? At 19, the idea of impacted classes probably wouldn't have been the issue in the 4 yr school or even the CC if it is to be assumed this student is a freshman aged uni student? As a transfer from OOS tuition in Utah is over 40K a yr inc housing. If the student stays at home in cali, persists through CC (and repairs academic damage) and transfers back into a more reputable 4 yr it would still save money. Really, a kid that gets off track is probably better served by getting a job and having a breather and reassesing priorities.
So you're basically saying I'm a **** up? Gee thanks, I know I ****ed up, not everyone can have their life go perfectly at all times. I'm not asking people to rub it in my face. And when did I say I dropped out of community college? I said I dropped out of a 4 year college. I am still in community college, getting great grades. And Utah offers the Western exchange so I think I could get that. I need to do more research on it though. My grades are good enough to get at least a little merit scholarship.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
So you're basically saying I'm a **** up? Gee thanks, I know I ****ed up, not everyone can have their life go perfectly at all times. I'm not asking people to rub it in my face. And when did I say I dropped out of community college? I said I dropped out of a 4 year college. I am still in community college, getting great grades. And Utah offers the Western exchange so I think I could get that. I need to do more research on it though. My grades are good enough to get at least a little merit scholarship.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that SLC itself doesn't sound like a good match to begin with, given your interests and lifestyle.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:54 PM

534 posts, read 1,533,495 times
My kid is attending Westminster College just a few miles away from U of U. She is also an atheist.

Absolutely no problem on the religion front in SLC or at her college. The Sugar House area has a great college town vibe. She happens to love the outdoors, so being close to Park City to snow board, and near the Cottonwood Canyons to hike are big bonuses for her.

We love that her school is so small - an average of about 15 students in class. She will graduate on time. She was a transfer from Cali community colleges with just one semester of transfer credits.

Westminster has a great business school, by the way! And - a great sense of entrepreneurship.

Housing is reasonably priced; lots of basement apartments for WAY cheaper than you'd pay for an apartment in Cali.

Best wishes to you!

Old 03-25-2015, 04:33 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
abrandnewme18,
I'm a transplant atheist, so I'll weigh in. As an Atheist, making friends isn't going to be that tough in my opinion. I've made a lot, and my social circle has gotten quite large in a short period of time. Only 2 people in our group are LDS. Furthermore, Mormons are generally nice people. No one has given me a hard time for being an Atheist and I’m not shy about letting that info out. The people here are generally nice, to a fault. In my 1.5 years here, it’s reached an almost irritating point at how, rather than state truth, most would rather smile, grin and bear it as to avoid rocking the boat. And even though most of my friends are no longer Mormons, most of them grew up Mormon. If you've ever been in religion, you would know it takes years to shake off the mental constraints of religion period. So while some “run wild” that I've noticed, others still live a very conservative lifestyle with very conservative view points. I haven’t been to any U of U College parties or gatherings, so I can only speak of the 20 and 30 something parties and gatherings I've been too. But, it’s not going to be like California…at all.

And know this, although SLC is more progressive than the rest of Utah and more liberal, it’s still in a bubble. Whether it’s pop culture, politics, whatever, doesn't matter. It’s hard to explain. It’s changing, but things to take time, and SLC has a ways to go before it reaches that point. To me, the biggest thing this City has to offer is it’s outdoor amenities and their proximity. It’s a city with a reasonable cost of living very very close to skiing, hiking, etc. If you don’t care for those things, you are not going to like it here. Personally, I don’t think you’d like it here.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:11 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,974,602 times
Well, I don't like hiking, skiing or ANYTHING to do with the outdoors other than basking in the sun during the awesome summer months and I like it here. I am older though, with older teens. I moved here when I was 23 and still liked it. Was never into the whole party scene however.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 AM

388 posts, read 549,256 times
Bummer that the WUE doesn't exactly reciprocate on equal terms on the Cali end. Decent 4 yr UCs are out of reach for really great Utah students because of cost. I don't get why the Utah gate is so one way.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Bummer that the WUE doesn't exactly reciprocate on equal terms on the Cali end. Decent 4 yr UCs are out of reach for really great Utah students because of cost. I don't get why the Utah gate is so one way.
No doubt it's my fault for not knowing the jargon, but I can't understand the meaning of this at all. Maybe you could rephrase? thx!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area