Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,961 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating to SLC and need some help figuring out where to find a decent apartment. Here are some complexes I have been considering: citifront, sky harbour and cobble creek! I am a 24 Sf starting a new job at U of U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:01 AM

714 posts, read 749,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie416 View Post
Hello, I am relocating to SLC and need some help figuring out where to find a decent apartment. Here are some complexes I have been considering: citifront, sky harbour and cobble creek! I am a 24 Sf starting a new job at U of U

I had a tough time finding an apartment in SLC. All income related. I was under the impression that rent was REALLY low in SLC compared to where I was living (Seattle). Turns out that's only if you factor in low income/section 9 on the UT end... I kept finding apartments on craigslist/KSL and thinking "SWEET!" just to read on and find out my income, which isn't that high, was too high. I ended up renting a crappy place by the U then moved a month later to Holladay where I found a good living situation.

From what I can tell after living in SLC for a year is that living downtown wouldn't really be worth it. I like downtown, but it's not worth the high cost to live there compared to other downtown areas in large metros. If you do find something decent and affordable in downtown/Aves/Sugarhouse, please let me know. I'll be looking to find a new spot next summer

Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,673,759 times
Other than Citifront, neither of those other two are really "Downtown" as you've mentioned in your title. Cobble Creek is super suburban. Sky Harbour is out in a working class neighborhood by the airport and Citifront is.. kind of in a bit of a ghetto. A revamped one that is certainly improving and has a nice train line by it now, but... still not exactly a "safe" part of town.

Were I you I'd personally focus my search between maybe 200 W and 700 E and no further south than 800 S (Sunnyside). The closer you can get to the intersection of Main Street and South Temple, the more "Downtown" you will be. If you're okay with suburban-ish living, look to Sugar House area for a younger crowd. That'll be "Easts" between about 700 East and 2300 East and "Souths" between 2700 South and 1300 South.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,770,990 times
If one wished to paint with a large brush, a general rule of thumb would be to East and South, and the more of both the better the safety and quality of living. The higher the $$ as well.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:28 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,673,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
If one wished to paint with a large brush, a general rule of thumb would be to East and South, and the more of both the better the safety and quality of living. The higher the $$ as well.
And I would completely disagree with this. The quality of life is better further north - unless you're Mormon, have 4+ kids and long for Suburbia. OP is young and single. Moving to Draper or Bluffdale as a 24 year old SF would be miserable, especially if you were working at the U.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 PM

762 posts, read 2,120,947 times
Yes, a single young person working at the U should not be considering anything south of 2700 South... and the closer to downtown, the better!

OP, I'd look among the dozens of smaller, historic apartment buildings (generally 6-24 units) in downtown/central city/east central/university areas rather than a large complex. Or maybe an apartment in a converted house in the Avenues or Marmalade. While there are a couple large, modern complexes downtown (east of Trolley Square, for example), most apartments in the areas of town you will likely enjoy are standalone buildings.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:14 PM

9,380 posts, read 7,001,704 times
Just had a coworker move into an upscale apartment complex downtown. He parks in an enclosed garage and on the second night somebody busted his driver side window. They didn't steal anything so must have just been vanalism. Regardless this type of property crime can happen anywhere.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:03 PM

163 posts, read 319,193 times
Congratulations on the new job and welcome to Salt Lake! Location-wise, I expect you can do much better than the 3 complexes that you've found so far.

I agree with those who advise you not to consider anything south of 2700 S. Others may not agree, but I'd be concerned about personal safety for a young single female living downtown.

My suggestion would be to go for place in the Avenues (zipcode 84103), University (84108), or Sugarhouse (84105 and 84106) neighborhoods. There are a number of large (100+ units) newer complexes with fitness centers and pools, but they tend to be pretty pricey. Best value is usually for the older and smaller complexes. If you are arriving within the next month or so, the rental market will be competitive due to the influx of students.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:45 PM

914 posts, read 975,325 times
If you need a hand I have a friend who is a property search company and is fantastic, helped us when we moved and took all the groundwork out of it. covers all of salt lake and suburbs but can match your brief to what is available. Has already helped us and also two other couples find somewhere since they moved and knows the market well. message me if want their details x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: