Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:38 PM

214 posts, read 872,180 times

Advertisements

with the ban of malt flavor drinks so call "alco-pop" from the grocery store and to be sold in the state liquor stores i would like to get your feed back on this from
non-mormons
mormons

do you feel the state of utah went overboard on this issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Their views/laws on alcohol are asinine at best. The private club laws are absolutely hypocritical, since you can essentially drink any way you like once you pony up the money.

I'm not Mormon, and I do not drink alcohol.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:49 AM

i got to agree with you on that 110% utah alcohol laws are very stupid

Old 03-03-2008, 12:49 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
As long as the products in the grocery store are 3.2% alcohol, they should be allowed to be sold there regardless of packaging or flavor. If the alco-pops are > 3.2% they should be sold in the liquor store. - Non Momon, Utah native.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 AM

just reading everything online on desnews,sltrib with this new law with this flavor malt liquor beer 3.2% which is being pull from the grocery stores the utah government and the mormon church is going to take alot of heat on this bill they just pass today.....your governor don't have any balls to stand up against the mormon church leaders. they just sent the state of utah backward

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM

61 posts, read 318,767 times
Agreed,
My family and I went out of the state of Utah for the past 5 days, and it seems like everyone that asked where we were from asked 2 questions.
1. Are you mormon?
and
2. What is the deal with the alcohol laws there?!?!
Utah is a very nice and safe place to live when you leave the state its easier to see, but the laws are just backwards and in the dark ages.
Utah born and raised, Non Mormon.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:06 PM

yeah very much i half to agree with you on some of your points mawilson. i used to live in salt lake city utah for a few months i didn't have a problem with the hard liquor in state liquor stores but to pull off some malt flavor beer just was joke by all means. there is a lot of things i respect utah to keeping things safe.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
I don't drink the stuff, I am a beer, wine, spirits, kinda gal. However, I disagree with taking the 3.2% alcohol and moving it to the state stores and marking it up 80 some %.

Ridiculous. The more you hide stuff away, the more appealing it will be. One of my coworkers told me how she is totally for it because it will prevent all the teenagers from buying it. IF teenagers are able to buy it from the grocery store... penalize the grocery stores who are selling to a minor... not just remove the stuff from the store.

Plus, now there is a whole new issue of storage at the state stores. Guess they need to give permits to open new state stores to hold all this new "contraband".

I am liking this state -- you can't beat the hiking, biking and skiing. But man, I have never seen such ridiculous laws.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:21 PM

here is the thing these teenagers are buying the drinks but there with big brother or big sister or with there older friends getting this stuff for them so they can have a good time during the weekend. now that these drinks are heading into the state liquor drinks like zima,mike's hard lemonade,bacardi breezer,smirnoff ice,bartles&jaymes alcohol will go up from 3.2% to 5.0% now the drinks will be even stronger. these people who are sitting up in capital hill are thinking oh we did a great job by banning these drinks. i say the great state of utah need to vote and get these moron out of office and start electing non mormon people who understand things for the common people.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Unfortunately, moving it to state stores, won't keep in out of teenagers hands. Big brother/sister/friend/mother father can still buy it for them there.

Now what we should protest is the elimination of the "side car". Or at least allow us to order a double at the bar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: