Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:39 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
UT11, the hospital's heli-port, is an FAA documented facility.

It is in a very high aviation traffic area, under the approaches to SLC's main and secondary airports which effectively limit the helicopter egress/access routes to a very narrow area around the hospital. The alternative routes suggested by the OP may simply not be safely available to the heli-port due to other traffic.

As a known active heli-port facility, along with the other airports in the nearby area, it was incumbent upon the buyer to do their due diligence about the aviation activity near their prospective purchase and how it might impact their quiet enjoyment of the property. The heli-port has been there for a long time and the buyer had the ability to not buy in the area if that activity was an issue for them.

This is not a hidden defect in the property that would otherwise have been unknown to a buyer unless disclosed by the seller via a Real Estate Disclosure Form.

Sorry, but these types of buyer's remorse noise complaints aren't a new issue. In all the cases I've seen, legal action by a buyer has been without merit against a seller. What I have seen is residential groups get together to file a complaint with the FAA regarding flight noise to be adjusted in various ways ... sometimes by flight paths noise abatement procedures, sometimes by limiting flight activity. But that's a whole 'nother realm to pursue rather than a suit against a seller and RE broker/agent.
Well, it took ten posts, but somebody finally came up with an answer that ought to put this whole matter to rest. Thank you, sunsprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 10:36 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
Lol some things are up to the responsibility as the “buyer’s due diligence”... Just like when we looked up in Layton you could feel the houses rumble when the squadrons took off from hill air force base. I would never have the nerve of saying it was somebody else’s fault or that the AFB should limit their training exercises. It’s just part of living in an area and built into the cost of housing.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:00 PM

272 posts, read 270,382 times
I think common sense trumps due diligence in this situation. If you're looking at properties near the largest hospital in the entire state, how can you not expect helicopter (and ambulance) traffic?

Old 12-31-2020, 11:33 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
To be fair, the OP is simply pointing it his/her experience for the benefit of the future buyer or renter. Whether the OP is a property owner or renter is not clear, neither is there a claim of trying to contest a sale by the OP. The feedback from OP might help a potential buyer's (or renter's) due diligence when considering living in this area. I am unclear as to what issue is to be put to rest here.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:08 PM

234 posts, read 221,010 times
I once did a purposeful survey of the area and walked Murray with a notepad for a day. There was one heli flight, and I don't think it went to IM. I also did not hear one siren, and only saw one police car.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:38 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
IMC is a Level I trauma center servicing an extremely large area. Nothing short of establishing more Level I trauma centers will reduce the amount of noise.

Old 02-07-2021, 11:22 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Obviously, I'm not suggesting that the hospital leave seriously injured patients (from car wrecks, for example) to die just so they don't have to fly them over residential areas near the hospital. But perhaps they could adjust the routes that they take to fly less over the residential areas and more over the commercial areas or over the I-15, for example.

I do question if all of the trips by helicopter are medically necessary, or if patients could just as easily be transported by ground ambulance to the hospital. Think about how much it costs to be transported by a traditional ambulance, and then how much more it must cost to be transported by a helicopter that has to be staffed with trained pilots and medical personnel, and the fuel it costs to fly those copters around. One has to wonder whether the hospital might be overusing the helicopter as a way of increasing its revenue stream.

I have never lived this close to a hospital before, and certainly not near one that had a helicopter to transport patients. I posted this thread to give people who are considering moving to Murray a heads up about what to expect if they are looking at areas near the hospital.
Part of the problem is, Utah (as well as other western states) is just so darned big, with so many miles between trauma centers. My Aunt's life was likely saved about a decade ago by a helicopter transport. We were spending the day at Wendover, and she was unaware she had developed a bleeding ulcer, and it went from "weeping" to "flowing", maybe from having lunch. She started vomiting blood and passed out due to blood loss. The medical center in Wendover stabilized her and got her loaded into an ambulance, and a SLC hospital chopper met us at about the 1/3 mark (based on the helo being able to travel about 3/2 the speed of the ambulance, and believe me, the ambulance wasn't wasting any time on I-80, I was right behind them).

It obviously wasn't their first rodeo, all parties responded very professionally and expediently, and her life was saved, she spent a few days in hospital upon return to SLC. I don't know for sure whether the additional hour or so the ambulance would have taken would have cost her life, but I'm glad they played it conservatively. So while you are correct that folks looking to live near a trauma center should be advised on the potential noise, maybe the blow would be softened if they realized that lives are likely saved by having air transport, hopefully it never happens to one of theirs. God Bless those folks.

Old 02-09-2021, 09:34 AM

293 posts, read 563,456 times
Comes with the territory I think. To some extent, you get used to the noise. I worked right next door to Hill AFB for about a year and didn't even notice the jets after a few weeks. Nothing a white noise machine can't help with if it's bothersome.

Old 02-09-2021, 05:32 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
To be fair, the OP is simply pointing it his/her experience for the benefit of the future buyer or renter. Whether the OP is a property owner or renter is not clear, neither is there a claim of trying to contest a sale by the OP. The feedback from OP might help a potential buyer's (or renter's) due diligence when considering living in this area. I am unclear as to what issue is to be put to rest here.
I agree fully.
The original post was to 'warn' potential buyers and not post about complaining and how to get it rectified.

The hospital has been there a very long time and many people have lived with the 'problem'.

I live smack 'under' the SLC airport flight path (at 54 south and 27 west area) and can hear the planes when I am outside the house.
Inside the house, I do not hear anything, so I went ahead and bought the property.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:47 AM

234 posts, read 221,010 times
Brings up a good question: How is Murray's noise level in general, compared to other areas?

I'd like a comparison to Millcreek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: