Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2024, 06:02 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

My son has relocated to Utah. He's an Air Traffic Controller and a very capable young man (30's). Job opportunity presented itself and him and his fiancée moved from West Virginia. I'm in Florida and it's difficult to grasp the change in 'scenery' and was hoping some locals could give me some incite as to what he will experience... so when we talk on the phone "I'll get it".

He's VERY outdoorsy like me, hunts, fishes, ski's, etc so that's not an issue. He also has a class A license and has his own semi (tractor) that he operates on his days off. Classic over achiever and former Marine. More importantly I want to get a sense of the culture, the people, general living in the area. He's renting now until he has a grasp of the area. I think he'll eventually move to Ogden and commute. He doesn't mind driving at all and would prefer to live on some acreage. Recommendations for where to live and buy might come in handy too.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2024, 01:42 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Can you go visit now that he's moved to see the area for yourself and spend some time with him in his new home city?

Old 02-23-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Can you go visit now that he's moved to see the area for yourself and spend some time with him in his new home city?
Absolutely.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:22 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
My uncle was an air traffic controller in SLC for his whole career after the war. All I know about Utah is….he fathered a daughter by a married woman, and the cousin found us through dna.

This cousin was raised Mormon and has the most wholesome looking family with 4 great kids in their 20s. So, I think of Utah as full of scrubbed blond families, with plenty of lovely potential daughters in law for you.

Old 02-26-2024, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My uncle was an air traffic controller in SLC for his whole career after the war. All I know about Utah is….he fathered a daughter by a married woman, and the cousin found us through dna.

This cousin was raised Mormon and has the most wholesome looking family with 4 great kids in their 20s. So, I think of Utah as full of scrubbed blond families, with plenty of lovely potential daughters in law for you.
In my OP... I mentioned he has a fiancée.... but I'll let him know he has 'options'.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:33 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My son has relocated to Utah. He's an Air Traffic Controller and a very capable young man (30's). Job opportunity presented itself and him and his fiancée moved from West Virginia. I'm in Florida and it's difficult to grasp the change in 'scenery' and was hoping some locals could give me some incite as to what he will experience... so when we talk on the phone "I'll get it".

He's VERY outdoorsy like me, hunts, fishes, ski's, etc so that's not an issue. He also has a class A license and has his own semi (tractor) that he operates on his days off. Classic over achiever and former Marine. More importantly I want to get a sense of the culture, the people, general living in the area. He's renting now until he has a grasp of the area. I think he'll eventually move to Ogden and commute. He doesn't mind driving at all and would prefer to live on some acreage. Recommendations for where to live and buy might come in handy too.

Thanks in advance
Visited, couple times.
Specifically SE corner of Utah.
You won't get it, until you see it.
Sedona, Grand Canyon, ??

Old 02-26-2024, 07:51 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Good for him! We need air traffic controllers.

Based on his interests, I think he'll love it here. We have amazing skiing and hiking just over a half hour's drive from downtown Salt Lake. (You didn't mention where in Salt Lake he is currently living and whether his fiancee is here with him.) And in Southern Utah--which he'll undoubtedly want to visit--we have five of the most incredible national parks anywhere in the country.

He'll definitely notice that we have four distinct seasons in Salt Lake, which most people really like. For me, winter's too long, but then I don't engage in winter sports. Also, you may have read about our temperature inversions during the worst of the winter months (Dec-Feb). This is a negative thing about the city he'll have to get used to.

Check out Visit Salt Lake.com for some great info about the city and surrounding area.

Last edited by Katzpur; 02-26-2024 at 08:05 PM..

Old 02-27-2024, 03:49 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
In my OP... I mentioned he has a fiancée.... but I'll let him know he has 'options'.
Oh, whoops.

Old 02-27-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Good for him! We need air traffic controllers.

Based on his interests, I think he'll love it here. We have amazing skiing and hiking just over a half hour's drive from downtown Salt Lake. (You didn't mention where in Salt Lake he is currently living and whether his fiancee is here with him.) And in Southern Utah--which he'll undoubtedly want to visit--we have five of the most incredible national parks anywhere in the country.

He'll definitely notice that we have four distinct seasons in Salt Lake, which most people really like. For me, winter's too long, but then I don't engage in winter sports. Also, you may have read about our temperature inversions during the worst of the winter months (Dec-Feb). This is a negative thing about the city he'll have to get used to.

Check out Visit Salt Lake.com for some great info about the city and surrounding area.
He's renting a home in West Valley City/Alpine Meadows area.. close to the airport. He will eventually buy a home if it all works out. Definitely will need enough land to have a shop, garage for his semi, probably a garden/animals, but that is down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area