Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 18,364 times

Advertisements

I am planning on opening a restaurant. Where would be better, Kansas City or Salt Lake City? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
What kind of restaurant? SLC has tons of restaurants, as I'm sure KC does. Which lifestyle would suit you better? I know my smallish town could use a good steak restaurant. We don't like driving to SL to go out to eat a decent meal all the time.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
You'll have to be a little more specific than that. What kind of food do you plan on serving and who do you see as your clientele? Do you have a price range in mind for your menu?

I'll give you what I think are some general rules for operating a successful restaurant here:
1. Plan on catering to families. There are so many here that if you set up a restaurant that only caters to single people, you'll be at a disadvantage.
2. Avoid more exotic foods. I won't call this a "meat and potatoes" culture anymore, but there are definitely some foods that would be out of favor.
3. Worry about costs, costs, and costs.
4. Don't assume you can get a liquor license. Only a certain number are available in given areas. Sometimes they have already reached the maximum.
5. Be prepared to keep prices down to some reasonable level. Per capita income in Utah is in the bottom quartile of states. There are a limited number of people willing to pay big prices to eat out.

Good luck, if you decide to come here.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Lightbulb This Could Be Interesting

Yes, please clarify what type of restaurant you envision.

Maybe you should open a famous K.C. barbecue type restaurant in SLC, one of the really, really good ones. Then in return you could open a SLC- style restaurant in K.C. and serve "Fry Sauce."

J/K.

Hope to hear more about your plans.

MSR

Old 04-01-2009, 08:28 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
While there are MORE than enough chains restaurants with the usual boring affair available, indeed SLC could sure use a higher quality barbecue place perhaps located more central or south in the Valley. About all we have are a few located in a few different spots, but by no means are there enough in my opinion. Just don't open up another burger joint. There is a true glut of those right now and we most certainly don't need more.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
I recommend a good NY City style deli...SLC sorely needs one of those. *drooling*

Old 04-01-2009, 10:12 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,973,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I recommend a good NY City style deli...SLC sorely needs one of those. *drooling*

Oh yeah! One of those! *wiping drool from my chin also*

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Yeah you know the ones with the 5" thick pastrami on rye sandwiches and the fresh cut french fries cooked in peanut oil. The Ruben's 10" long and the East Coast drinks. Yep I would go for that in a heartbeat. On another note I only WISH there was a restaurant that did NOT cater to families but rather to couples or singles. I'd also patronize that restaurant. I went to a high priced one a few weeks ago that was recommended (Tiburon) the food sucked and I couldn't even hear my wife speak because of the loud family next to us. I'm telling you Utah completely sucks in this regard. I have few of these problems just about in any other State. I have to wait till we go on a vacation out of State to enjoy a meal out without the din of brats screaming all over the place. I'm beginning to think they don't have a frigging clue what an "adult night out" is in this State. The problem is in their minds it's dragging the 6 kids out in the mormon assault vehicle (SUV) to just about every and anywhere regardless. You'd think they were attached at the hip. No wonder they completely lose their identity outside of the ch-rch as they have no life outside of it.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Try the New Yorker. I've never seen anyone under 18 in there at night.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
I've never seen kids in most of the places I've been. Where do you go? Red Robin? Or are you out in the burbs or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area