Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 PM

225 posts, read 1,092,789 times

Advertisements

Hello all i'm currently living in iowa and will be leaving for the air force basic September 1. I've already made out my "dream sheet" of places i'd want to be based at. I put Utah and Colorado at the top of my list.
I know i'll have 4 years before i'm done with the air force but i'm curious as to what the salt lake city pd or the ogden pd is like? I'm wanting to go into law enforcement when i'm done with the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 PM

36 posts, read 102,471 times
Check out officer.com, goto the discussion board via career forums. Ogden PD and SLC PD both will hire you and sponsor your academy. Both are good departments and actively recruit. Although with the economy right now most PD's are pretty quiet in the recruiting department. With that being said in four years you should be good. Try to get your bachelors while enlisted. The process can be quite competitive and education can really help you. With your military you will be awarded veterans points. Stay out of trouble, watch your drinking and don't get any tickets.

You can self sponsor yourself in a academy as well. Check out Weber State Police Academy. Sometimes it is good to sponsor yourself as you can choose your own department you want to be on. There are tons of good agencies in SLC.

You mentioned Colorado as well. Colorado is pretty tough right now, you usually need to self sponsor yourself in CO as well. If you want anymore info on any agencies pm me. I'm on officer.com as well. Take care and enjoy basic training. Try to get into security forces in the AF.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 PM

DallasJoseph- Thanks for the advice

Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Ogden PD has a poor reputation and LE jobs anywhere around here are in high demand. Expect a lot of competition. Lots of people here actually pay to put themselves through the police academy to give them a better shot at a job.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:27 PM

idk if i'd be able to pay for myself to go through the academy since i'll be coming right out of the air force

Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM

Most likely you would... you'll have your educational benefits for your service. If your not stuck on Utah or Colorado check out other states. In four years you would be perfect for Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Oakland, SF, etc. I've lived in 8 states and been in LE for quite a while. When the economy is better Arizona and Nevada will still hire like crazy. Just hope our economy changes.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM

I'd say Ogden is a good agency. Ogden itself just has a poor reputation. Compared to other cities in other states Ogden is nothing.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:21 PM

i'm not stuck on utah or colorado was just told that those were the ones i'd mostly likely get if i put them on my list. And there's a good chance that i'll stay at my first permanit duty station all four years. So thought i'd get a head start on lookin things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area