Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:17 PM

4 posts, read 39,049 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are relocating the the SLC area. We are wondering where the safest places in Salt Lake and the surrounding cities are and what areas we should avoid.

I've heard not so desireable places are West Valley and Rose Park (where is Rose Park?).

We ARE looking to buy a house, so we're not just looking for a "safe enough" place to live for a few months or a year.

Where should we look? Where should we avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 PM

515 posts, read 2,324,245 times
Almost every where is safe, even parts of West Valley. Rose Park is sort of near the airport, north of West Valley City. Generally speaking, the farther East you are the better. Safety is really not much of a concern in Utah.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Being from So California I feel like Daybreak in South Jordan is great.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:01 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Until I saw Daybreak for the first time a few weeks ago, I would never have considered living on the west side. (Yes, I am an unabashed east side snob.) Daybreak, however, was incredibly beautiful and the view of Salt Lake City from there was simply gorgeous. I absolutely loved the architecture of the homes and the layout of the neighborhoods. To me, the biggest drawback to living there would be the commute (assuming you will be working in the downtown area).

I live in Cottonwood Heights and have for 27 years. I love it and am not even thinking of moving elsewhere. I grew up in Sugar House. It's also a great area, although the homes are considerably older and almost none have an attacked garage -- which, to me, is an absolute must. Holladay is also nice, as is Draper (but again, Draper has the disadvantage of a long commute to downtown).

Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Hi Katz,

I am lucky I don't have a commute since I telecommute to CA. I have driven to SLC several times but I haven’t really noticed much heavy traffic, even at rush hour. I sure it happens but nothing can compare to the 405 at the 101 in CA.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 PM

762 posts, read 2,119,088 times
To me, Daybreak is like a community out of the Stepford Wives. Fake, plastic, and... ick!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:28 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,762,145 times
Zionide, it seems we may actually agree on something for a change. Indeed it's conception was one of a perfect community with a perfect lifestyle and ideal setting and extras. Too bad it's sitting on basically a toxic waste watershed and property remains the property of Kennicott (Rio Tinto) for perpetuity. You merely lease the land your house sits on for 100 years. Yeah they got one heck of a setup there. Nothing like a little greed to make things right. It's also amazing how much money talks. They must have one heck of a payoff going to keep their dirty little secrets of pollution to the valley under wraps. Oh yeah, they employ so many that they are essential to the economy of the area, so we look the other way. Nice deal for them. Too bad about all the cancer clusters that go buried in the statistics and paperwork. Ever notice all the younger people dying of cancers in this valley? Yeah I know it's morbid but I can't help looking at the obituaries as i read through the papers. It's really scary I tell ya. I have dual tank filtration PLUS a reverse osmosis filtration on the water that comes into my home. I wouldn't trust it for second. As I look at that toxic abomination of a denuded mountain they've raped for over 100 years I just shake my head. Yes indeed greed rules here............

Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,888 times
For the last five years I've lived directly east of Trolley Square. I feel safe there, very safe. It is in the city , but I don't feel like I need to take extra steps to protect myself, even while walking home from downtown at night. I was on the way home the night of the shooting, noticed many things that night, that was the craziest I've even seen "the hood."

I did hear a friend of a friend did get mugged while walking around the U area (2nd S, around 13th E) but it was fairly late and he was a smaller guy that was flashing some electronics. So, I'd say if your going to live downtown, try not to be too flashy.

I would also stay out of Green Street after say 9pm.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM

835 posts, read 2,077,135 times
That is pretty funny Milehiguy! I agree with Dcisive on the whole Daybreak thing. When we arrived in Utah in 1992, we were looking in SLC and Park City for the "right place". There is an area in PC, Prospector, that was built on a tailings pile. It ended up in the EPA Superfund clean up also. Yikes, why would anyone take a chance and choose to live in any area that has that sort of history? There are plenty of other areas that are not built on waste/dump zones that are nice and "safe". I guess that safety is also an environmental consideration!

Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,601,130 times
Rose Park in relation to Salt Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area