Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM

18 posts, read 70,216 times

Advertisements

This is what I would LOVE:

-open minded community. We are a non-LDS couple
-walkable places - like quaint shops and coffee houses
-Tree lined streets
-people on the early 30's to 40's
-We are adopting from a different country and expecting our baby to arrive within 2 years. Therefore we would love to live in a neighborhood that is the most diverse.

So far it looks like Sugarhouse is for us. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:27 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Sugarhouse would be an excellent choice. The lower Avenues or possibly the Marmalade District might also be place you'd want to consider. I'd say Downtown, but with a child, you'd probably want a yard.

Good luck on the adoption, by the way. My sister had two international adoptions fall through. I'm hoping things will work out better for you in that regard.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Thank you Katzpur,

I had not heard of the Marmalade District, I'll have to check that out.
You are right that we would want a yard. Until the baby arrives, our
4-legged baby needs some romping room.

side note: Sorry to hear about your sister. Adoption is a rollercoaster and our 12 month wait has turned into 2 years with 2 more to go!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdk View Post
Thank you Katzpur,

I had not heard of the Marmalade District, I'll have to check that out.
You are right that we would want a yard. Until the baby arrives, our
4-legged baby needs some romping room.
The Marmalade Distinct is made up of mostly quite old homes, some of them with historic significance. I mentioned it specifically because you mentioned being left of center and wanting diversity. The Marmalade District is commonly considered to be the most gay-friendly area of the city. I'm judging from how you described yourselves that that wouldn't be an issue for you.

The yards are not all that large. How big is your 4-legged baby?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:24 AM

139 posts, read 501,591 times
Sugarhouse is great, but Cottonwood Heights, Holladay, and Murray are also good bets. Not quite as walkable as you may like, but lots of parks, tree lined streets, families, and diversity....well, diversity by Utah standards anyway.

Seriously though...good schools, nice family neighborhoods with lots of transplants such as yourselves...they'd be good fits based on your post.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM

Our furry boy is a dingo/cattledog and a slightly chubby 50 pounds

Thanks for all the neighborhood suggestions, I will start to check them out. If we can not find a neighborhood where we can walk to restaurants, coffee shops... I'd love to live walking distance to parks or on a street with lots of big trees. Which of these neighborhoods has that and are the most open to a non-LDS family?:

The Marmalade Distinct
Sugarhouse
Cottonwood Heights
Holladay
Murray

Old 04-19-2010, 11:43 AM

74 posts, read 202,009 times
When I think of family friendly, big trees, coffee shops/walkability, and fitting your description of wants, I think of the surrounding areas of the 9th and 9th area, the 15th and 15th area, near Sugarhouse Park 2100/2100 and maybe near Liberty Park. The aves are also a great choice but the lower aves are a mix of students, young professionals, and isn't quite as family concentrated as my favorite 15th and 15th area. Not sure what your budget is or if you are looking to buy or rent? If you are looking to buy, then really look at the schools closely as well. If you are renting, you can learn more for later regarding schools. There are some great dog walking parks in most of the areas I mentioned. As you narrow down your move, I would be happy to give you more information on parks. There are some obvious large ones that you can't miss but then there a few smaller ones that I just discovered by walking through my old neighborhood or exploring with my dog. Welcome to SLC.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:15 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,167 times
Sugarhouse area is great. Good parks, good shopping. Houses aren't cookie cutter. I guess its a little more diverse but we are talking Utah here so thats all relative.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Our furry boy is a dingo/cattledog and a slightly chubby 50 pounds

Thanks for all the neighborhood suggestions, I will start to check them out. If we can not find a neighborhood where we can walk to restaurants, coffee shops... I'd love to live walking distance to parks or on a street with lots of big trees. Which of these neighborhoods has that and are the most open to a non-LDS family?:

The Marmalade Distinct
Sugarhouse
Cottonwood Heights
Holladay
Murray
You might want to consider something close to Liberty Park. None of the neighborhoods listed are really within walking distance of Liberty Park, but Sugarhouse is the closest. On the other hand, nobody (including me) has suggested yet that you consider looking near the University of Utah. I'm thinking it might also be a good option for you, maybe the best one yet. Personally, I'd stay away from Cottonwood Heights, Holladay and Murray. All are nice areas (I live in Cottonwood Heights myself and absolutely love it) but it may not be quite what you're looking for. Also, may I respectfully suggest that you not get too awfully hung up on the LDS versus non-LDS thing. I'm LDS and honestly, we don't bite. It really is kind of hard for us to see thread after thread started by people who are chomping at the bit to move to Utah but seem determined to avoid living by LDS neighbors. If you come here with the mindset that it's going to be us verses them, you won't be happy here. Some areas are more heavily LDS than others, and might be a better fit than others, but if you're going to move here, you've just got to get your mind around the fact that we Mormons are everywhere! The city is just crawling with us!

Have you been out to Salt Lake City yet? You really should try to make a trip out to look around to get a feel for the area before focusing in on any specific neighborhood.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Quote:
This is what I would LOVE:

-open minded community. We are a non-LDS couple
-walkable places - like quaint shops and coffee houses
-Tree lined streets
-people on the early 30's to 40's
-We are adopting from a different country and expecting our baby to arrive within 2 years. Therefore we would love to live in a neighborhood that is the most diverse.

So far it looks like Sugarhouse is for us. Any other suggestions?

Thank you!
This is totally my profile (hoping for a referal before the year is over)!!

We've lived in N Davis Co for 6 years, and can't say enough good things about it. Where we are we do not have the walkable shopping/coffee you're looking for though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area