Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about bus "terminals" (which describe the downtown Greyhound Stati- er, I mean Greyhound Terminal). But I'm referring to places like the new North Star Mall Transit Center, Crossroads Park and Ride, Randolph PR, Medical Center TC.

A terminal refers to a place where the buses (or trains) remain overnight. A station is a place with an indoor facility (like a terminal) where you can buy tickets, passes, etc. And they usually have facilities like restrooms and vending machines at the very least.

So, my question is, why do people have to be all fancy these days and call them Transit Centers? I sort of prefer Bus Station myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,891,396 times
The Park and Ride "stations you refer to are more bus STOPS, not a station or terminal. I think VIA is trying to put lipstick on a pig.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The Park and Ride "stations you refer to are more bus STOPS, not a station or terminal. I think VIA is trying to put lipstick on a pig.
I disagree. What does a station have that these don't have?

A "stop" is just a place with a bus sign on a corner where the bus stops (only if necessary). The most a bus stop ever has is a bench, if even that.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:31 PM

"Lipstick on a pig." That's funny.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:49 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,877 times
i wasn't aware that "transit center" was a fancy term.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlorifiedMalcontent View Post
i wasn't aware that "transit center" was a fancy term.
Like it or not, it is. Most people can't even remember the term. But I doubt that they would forget "bus station."

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,877 times
transit center would make more sense if it involved multiple forms of transit (maybe it does? i am not sure, i've never been to one.) transit centers/stations were usually where multiple bus lines, lightrail, metro, trains, etc converged back home. though given that sa's public transportation is very lackluster they very well could just get away with calling these places "bus stations".

Old 06-25-2010, 01:20 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,049,067 times
Bus stations have graffiti. Transit centers are new and graffiti free, for the first 2 or 3 days.... then they become bus stations again. By the way, I liked your comment about lipstick on a pig. Very funny.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 06-25-2010 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Speeling

Old 06-25-2010, 06:08 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,392,627 times
Default It is a very old term,

The Pulic trans. system in S.A. used to be called the transit system
when I was a kid.
The Tower Life Building used to be called the "Transit Tower "
years ago.
A transfer ticket ,for two cents extra , would allow a cross town ride
for a grand total of 12 cents. I believe that is where the terminology
is derived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm not talking about bus "terminals" (which describe the downtown Greyhound Stati- er, I mean Greyhound Terminal). But I'm referring to places like the new North Star Mall Transit Center, Crossroads Park and Ride, Randolph PR, Medical Center TC.

A terminal refers to a place where the buses (or trains) remain overnight. A station is a place with an indoor facility (like a terminal) where you can buy tickets, passes, etc. And they usually have facilities like restrooms and vending machines at the very least.

So, my question is, why do people have to be all fancy these days and call them Transit Centers? I sort of prefer Bus Station myself.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The Pulic trans. system in S.A. used to be called the transit system
when I was a kid.
The Tower Life Building used to be called the "Transit Tower "
years ago.
A transfer ticket ,for two cents extra , would allow a cross town ride
for a grand total of 12 cents. I believe that is where the terminology
is derived.
It may be an old term, but from what I've read, a simple bus station doesn't really classify as one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio