Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:55 PM

354 posts, read 712,908 times

Advertisements

I too live on the NW side, right in the medical ctr. If I rack my brain for all types of things that can make a place 'ghetto' I have yet to find it here. This is considered one of the better areas of town. Considering that I teach on the Southside, and that I have been to places like Watts and Compton(lived in L.A. and am moving back next year--though thankfully not to any of those areas) and I think I have a pretty good ideas as to what 'ghetto' can look/be like. 'Ghetto' is a highly subjective term, depending on what your'e used to, but 'ghetto' to me is:

1. Proliferation of drug activity/suspected drug activity--Drugs are everywhere, but outward wheeling and dealing here? No.

2. High crime
a. Prostitution-I have yet to see congregations of 'streetwalkers'
b. Theft-ditto
c.Property--There is some property crime, as anywhere, but not of epidemic proportions

3. Lack of options/choice in certain types of venues, for example
plenty of liquor stores, but lack of grocery/supermarket--Considering that the NW side has plenty of Starbucks, Sun Harvests, Panera Breads, etc, it is disqualified from this.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,544,535 times
To my ghetto neighbors Alamo and Skeet, lol...I tried to rep ya for your posts but I wasn't able to.

Seriously though, ghetto to me is a place you are afraid to drive around in, night or day, windows down being a no no.
I don't consider areas with brand new homes/schools/stores/shops/colleges as ghetto.

So it was said that it's the people that make it ghetto here. I am not seeing that either. I see alot of military, alot of educated people in this side of town. Not sure how they are ghetto.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,421,569 times
Well, traffic is relative. Being a Houstonian for most of my life, I know what traffic is. I know what it is like to sit on the Katy Freeway (pre-expansion) and go 4 miles in 40 minutes because some engineer wasn't thinking too far ahead in 1972.

Having said that, I can see where traffic does suck in different parts of this town. I mean, 1604 and Guilbeau/Braun is absolutely hideous, and this joke of a "superstreet" doesn't even have the foresight to predict the population boom that is currently ongoing, let alone 10 years from now.

Stone Oak Parkway at 5PM is pretty awful. Yep, indeed. Pretty awful.

So it's all relative.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:28 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times
I won't mention anything about the "ghetto" NW side. It has its pockets, not gonna lie. There are streets I'd rather not go down. But so do most cities.

As far as traffic is concerned on 410...it's really NOT that bad. I drive it every day from 10/410 to pretty much 410/35. The other areas I drive pretty routinely as well (aside from the area south of 90 and 37...but who really drives down there anyway? ) Unless there is an accident or they have a lane shut down for some reason I can get from Perrin Beitel to 10/410 in about 15 minutes. And the only area left full of contruction is the area from Nacodoches to Perrin Beitel. Everything else is pretty. The other area is coming around. It won't be too long until it's all done. That being said, I'd much rather drive on 410 than 1604 (especially the area between bandera and 151..that area gets crazy..imo) at least you get 3 lanes in most areas. 1604 you're lucky to get 2.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,133,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
The other areas I drive pretty routinely as well (aside from the area south of 90 and 37...but who really drives down there anyway? )
Hubby uses 410 in the South area (WW White, Pleasanton Rd., etc.) to get home as a alternate route from work near 35 & Walzem if traffic is way too heavy. It sure is smooth sailing, he says he doesn't feel like his blood pressure is going up!

Old 07-30-2010, 03:26 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,006,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
When I have personally experienced it, it is a fact. Choosing to believe it is up to you. I have NEVER driven west on 1604 from Braun westward and waited less than two traffic lights, EVER. My worst was at least 10 lights waiting for the light at Shaenfeld.
Well, considering that I actually live in that area, and drive south on 1604 from Braun almost daily, I disagree. I've consistently gone from Braun to 151 without stopping, but I guess I just have to take your word for it!

And there is no way on God's green earth that you've waited 10 lights for the light at Shaenfield, but since you claim to have seen 300 cars waiting at Culebra and 1604 I tend to think you over-exaggerate.

Oh, and I would like to see pics of the community you currently live in that makes all the neighborhoods on the north and northwest sides such "ghettos!"

Old 07-30-2010, 03:38 PM

10 posts, read 29,985 times
Man, I wish Alamo Ranch hadn't turned into the ghetto so quickly...I mean all of these Lexus' and Hummer's out here look like gang bangers for sure...

Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 PM

72 posts, read 165,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Well the area that the OP moved to is beautiful. And close(ish) to 35 outside of 1604 and nowhere near congestion. I'm just happy they found a great place to live so quickly.

YES!!! Thank you for pointing that out!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my neighborhood and surrounding parts!! I'm originally from San Jose California and lived in San Diego, California for 9 years, so I know what traffic is all about. We decided on this city for fun, excitement and culture. This city actually reminds me of some parts of San Diego, so it mixes very well with us. Colorado Springs although very beautiful, it also lacked on a lot of other things. Regardless, you make the best of life and if you don't like it there, then move the heck out! I can say a lot of bad things about other cities I've lived in, but in the end they all had their amazing parts, you just have to go out and look for them.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM

72 posts, read 165,417 times
Quote:
One last comment for the original poster:
Go to Google Maps and search for San Antonio. Then click the Traffic button on the top right of the map. Check it during rush hour and you'll see, very objectively, how bad the traffic can be in different parts of town.
Yes, you are right, but thank goodness it doesn't apply to us. This is why we stay away from certain parts of town at certain times.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,626,316 times
Quote:
It depends on your definition of nice and how much money you have. Personally, I find the NW side pretty ghetto. It has many new houses, but they are of poor quality, with small lots, and are often multi-family. Ditto for Stone Oak, although at higher prices. Traffic is horrible in these places.

Your money goes a lot further in San Antonio in terms of real estate, so if you have $300k, look at Shavano Park, Deerfield, and that general area. If you have $500-600k, look in King William/Monte Vista/Alamo Heights, and $1M check out The Dominion. No traffic problems from any of these places.
shavano park is on the NW side. how can you call the NW side ghetto and then say to look into shavano park?

im confused. the NW side is absolutely amazing. everything is within a 5 mile radius. need tools? lowes and home depot are 2 miles apart. need groceries? HEB, wal mart and target are all within 5 miles of each other.

need something to eat? TONS Of places open late night. like i said, i would not venture into any other part of town without a gun or big burly males accompanying me cept on the NE/NW side.

the NE side is starting to get crappy with the influx of katrina refugees who decided to stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio