Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:32 AM

340 posts, read 642,539 times

Advertisements

Signs Nailed To Heritage Oak Trees, Taken Down After Complaints (http://www.ksat.com/news/24615899/detail.html - broken link)

Not surprised that campaign staffers would screw signs to anything and everything. I'd have to say that bandit signs are #1 on my list of pet peeves...whether it is for discount Rx, campaigns, buy your house, "AKC" puppies, etc. Garage sale signs are iffy, but they're put up and taken down (9 times out of 10) by the end of the weekend.

I'm not sure if campaign bandit signs are permitted in the city code (places like Houston have exemptions for them) but I do know that TXDOT does not permit them on highway ROWs. The City of Fort Worth spends quality time with those illegal signs, removing approximately 30,000 per year. If they show up in my neighborhood, I pull them myself, as we live in the county.

Anyone have any comments, rants, or otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:02 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
Signs Nailed To Heritage Oak Trees, Taken Down After Complaints (http://www.ksat.com/news/24615899/detail.html - broken link)

Not surprised that campaign staffers would screw signs to anything and everything. I'd have to say that bandit signs are #1 on my list of pet peeves...whether it is for discount Rx, campaigns, buy your house, "AKC" puppies, etc. Garage sale signs are iffy, but they're put up and taken down (9 times out of 10) by the end of the weekend.

I'm not sure if campaign bandit signs are permitted in the city code (places like Houston have exemptions for them) but I do know that TXDOT does not permit them on highway ROWs. The City of Fort Worth spends quality time with those illegal signs, removing approximately 30,000 per year. If they show up in my neighborhood, I pull them myself, as we live in the county.

Anyone have any comments, rants, or otherwise?

Oh man, I HATE bandit signs of any kind! I am about to start going around the Westover Hills area and pick 'em up. The builders are the worst!

Here's something interesting: http://www.sanantonio.gov/news/NewsR...=1024&ver=true

Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,890,638 times
Wow, where do you live that the garage sale signs are removed 90% once the weekend is over? It seems like up here in NW SA I see them leftover all the time. I hate them, as well as the other "bandit" signs and the city/state should make more of an effort to stop them, such as stiffer penalties for each one found.

And I include those obnoxious builder signs the litter the streets as well. If you want to advertise, do it through other means (billboards, ads, etc), not those crappy signs along the roadways!

But actually expecting the city to take action is dreaming, considering what little has been done about illegal panhandling, reckless driving, etc; I don't think it is a high priority...

Still, you can always filling out the complaint form online!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 AM

872 posts, read 1,847,673 times
Bandit signs (I hate them too) are allowed at on "weekends" by COSA. Here is a bit of the COSA law... Find more at Municode Library

Sec. 28-152. - Signs on roads and highways maintained by the city.
(a)
No person may place a sign on the public right-of-way of a road or highway maintained by the city.
(b)
Temporary weekend signs are permitted to be placed on the right-of-way of a road or highway maintained by the city provided that the following regulation of time, place, and manner are observed and appropriate fees have been paid.
(1)
Schedule: Temporary weekend signs are permitted from Friday until no later than 9:00 p.m. the following Monday. If a federally recognized holiday falls on a Friday, then the signs are permitted from the preceding Thursday until no later than 9:00 p.m. the following Monday. If a federally recognized holiday falls on a Monday, then signs are permitted from Friday until no later than 9:00 p.m. the following Tuesday. Signs may not be either placed or picked up between the hours from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. or from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. on weekdays.
(2)
Size: Signs shall not exceed twenty-four (24) inches by thirty-two (32) inches in size. Irregular shaped signs shall fit in a twenty-four (24) inches by thirty-two (32) rectangle. The total height of the sign may not exceed three (3) feet above the ground measured from the base of the sign. Signs may be two-dimensional only and shall have a non-reflective surface.
(3)
Spacing between signs:
a.
A minimum of five (5) feet must be maintained between each temporary weekend sign of different advertisers.
b.
The signs of each advertiser must be spaced so that no two (2) signs advertising the same good, service, business, political campaign, or particular piece of real property (for sale or lease), are closer than two hundred (200) feet from each other measured in a straight line. If a new residential subdivision or development is being advertised, no sign of any advertiser may be closer than two hundred (200) feet from any other sign of the same advertiser.
(4)
Sign location:
a.
Signs must be self supporting and placed into the ground by a single stake. No temporary weekend sign shall be permitted on a utility pole, street light pole, sign pole, fence, tree or other manmade or natural feature.
b.
No sign may be placed closer than twenty-five (25) feet from a street intersection or median opening. Any temporary weekend sign determined to be in a location that causes an immediate hazard to public safety may be immediately removed by the city.
c.
Signs shall be placed no closer than three (3) feet from the edge of the sign to the street curb or, if there is no curb, the edge of pavement. Signs shall not encroach on either the sidewalks or streets.
d.
No sign may be placed on any esplanade or island that is located between a road or highway or otherwise divides traffic.
e.
Except for political signs, no sign shall be placed further than three miles from the property, location, or business that is being advertised.
(5)
Registration, permits and fees:
a.
An annual permit fee of fifty dollars ($50.00) must be paid by each advertiser. Where an advertiser wishes to advertise multiple locations, a permit must be obtained for each business location subdivision location, or service location to be advertised by temporary weekend signs.
b.
Upon payment of said fee, the permittee may purchase annual temporary weekend registration decals. The cost of each decal shall be one dollar ($1.00). A temporary weekend sign shall not be placed on the right-of-way of a road or highway unless an annual temporary weekend decal is affixed on the face of the temporary weekend sign.
(6)
Map, listing, and state department of transportation approval:
a.
In addition to payment of the appropriate fees the advertiser shall provide a map and listing identifying the street and block number where each sign shall be placed.
b.
The department of building inspections shall submit the application for review by the Texas Department of Transportation to insure the location identified in the map and listing for sign placement is not within the state highway system. If the department of transportation fails to respond within ten (10) working days after receipt of plan, it shall be assumed that the site plan is conforming to state law.
[LEFT]Note: Application of section 28-152(b)(6)b. is contingent on the state department of transportation's cooperation in providing such confirmation. The director of the planning and development services department may accept confirmation from another governmental agency where appropriate. [/LEFT]
(c)
Confiscation, notice, and public auction.
(1)
Any sign placed in violation of the provisions of this section is hereby declared a nuisance to the public health, safety and welfare and may be confiscated.
(2)
If the owner of a confiscated sign is known, he or she shall be notified by certified mail, return receipt requested, not later than the tenth (10th) day after the date of the confiscation. If the owner of the sign is not known, notice of the confiscation shall be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the county not later than the 10th day after the date of the confiscation.
(3)
A notice must:
a.
Include a description of the sign and the location from which the sign was confiscated;
b.
Include a statement that the owner may reclaim the sign before the twenty-first (21st) day after the date the notice was mailed or published if all fines that are imposed under this section are paid; and
c.
State the date, time, and location of the public auction where the sign will be sold if the sign is not reclaimed.
(4)
A notice by publication mad contain multiple listings of confiscated signs.
(5)
The city may sell a sign at public auction if, before the twenty-first (21st) day after the date notice was mailed or published, the sign has not been reclaimed. The city shall sell the sign to the highest bidder at the auction.
(6)
The city shall remit the proceeds of an auction under section 28-192(c)(6) to the general fund.
(d)
Exemption from notice requirements.
(1)
City council hereby determines that any sign that is of similar size as a temporary weekend sign is unlikely to be reclaimed if confiscated.
(2)
Such signs are exempt from the notice requirements of section 28-152(c).
(3)
Such signs shall be held for twenty-one (21) days after the date of confiscation and shall be made available for reclamation by the owner. After that period, the sign(s) may be discarded. Before reclamation, the owner shall pay five dollars ($5.00) per sign for storage and administrative costs.
(e)
Placement of unauthorized sign: Criminal offense, penalty. This subsection may be enforced by the departments of building inspections, police, or other departments designated by the city manager against any violator of any provision of this section who is not a holder of a valid annual temporary sign permit.
(1)
A person commits an offense if the person places a sign on the public right-of-way of a road or highway maintained by the city in violation of this section. The presence of a sign in the public right-of-way creates a rebuttable presumption that the person named on such sign is the person responsible for the placement of such sign. If more than one person is named on a sign, there is rebuttable presumption that each person is individually and severally responsible for the placement of such sign.
(2)
There shall be a rebuttable presumption that the person in whose name a telephone number displayed on the sign is listed with the telephone company is the person responsible for the placement of such sign.
(3)
An offense under this section is punishable as follows:
a.
First offense by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100.00) and not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00);
b.
Second offense by a fine of not less than two hundred dollars ($200.00) and not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00); or
c.
Third offense or thereafter by a fine of not less than three hundred dollars ($300.00) and more than five hundred dollars ($500.00).

Old 08-13-2010, 11:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,393,696 times
There should be a law to ban any signs (garage sales, sales/marketing, lost dog, found dog) on ALL utility poles anywhere in the city. It looks tacky!

In and around my area, I usually leave the garage sale signs up if I seem them, but I always take all marketing and sales crap down. And I'm not shy about it either. I rip it off the utility pole if I see it.

As far as the campaign signs, they shouldn't allow it either. They never come back to pick them up and just leave them littered all over the place.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
I think there are still builder signs up around De Zavala and 10. I always wonder where they're pointing to since there's nowher else to build new homes in the area.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I think there are still builder signs up around De Zavala and 10. I always wonder where they're pointing to since there's nowher else to build new homes in the area.
Call COSA code enforcement, TXDot, and the builders and insist they remove them. I took that approach with a new small sized billboard that appeared on the far west side and it was gone in a few days.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,585,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Call COSA code enforcement, TXDot, and the builders and insist they remove them. I took that approach with a new small sized billboard that appeared on the far west side and it was gone in a few days.
It's honestly one of the last things on my list of worries in the area. Staying alive while driving on De zavala is top priority. It's just plain ole silly. I'll let someone else do the dirty work for me.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 PM

464 posts, read 799,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post

Not surprised that campaign staffers would screw signs to anything and everything.
I'm not surprised. Typically the constituents get the same treatment the signs are getting!!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It's honestly one of the last things on my list of worries in the area. Staying alive while driving on De zavala is top priority. It's just plain ole silly. I'll let someone else do the dirty work for me.
You brought it up. Don't call while driving...call after you get home. Its a little thing to help clean up the looks of the city. Get-er-dun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio