Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:59 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
As an outsider coming in to San Antonio, there is one thing I never understood and maybe a true San Antonian can put it into perspective for me. Most San Antonians seem to complain and say they HATE HEB. I've heard it for the 3 years I've been here. Yet when other stores, such as Albertsons, were here obviously noone shopped there. If they had, Albertsons would have remained in this area. Why is it other stores can't survive here? HEB only owns the market so long as YOU shop there......
Albertsons pulled out of the San Antonio market in 2002, after having a presence here for probably 30 years. At the time of their closure, Albertsons market share in San Antonio was a distant #2 behind HEB. They moved up to that #2 spot from the #3 position when Kroger exited the San Antonio market in the 1990s.

As has been mentioned, Albertsons prices were higher than HEB, albeit by as little as a penny on some items. Word at the time was that Albertsons recent acquisitions led to the closing of their stores in less profitable markets.

HEB has been a major player in the San Antonio market for decades, and started pulling away from competitors in the late 1970s, when they adopted a more aggressive marketing, pricing, and expansion strategy.

FWIW, Albertsons also pulled out of Houston in 2002.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 AM

191 posts, read 454,374 times
I wish there was a Whole Foods option in the north or west part of town. I don't feel much like dragging 3 small kids downtown for groceries. When we lived in DC I did all my shopping at Whole Foods, and I really liked them. Then in San Diego I shopped Henry's and Vonns (Henry's owns Sun Harvest) because Henry's has such a small selection. In Cen CA I shopped at the Commissary, and had my produce delivered because the produce there sucks. Now I don't know where to shop. I spend literally 2 times as much at HEB when I shop there compared to Target. But, Target has stocking issues, and often doesn't have what I need.

When I do shop at HEB, I go to the one on Bandera and 1604. It looks pretty ghetto. It's always packed. The "bulk foods" section is nothing but granola and snack mixes. The produce is really limited. Where on earth do people here buy arugula and blood oranges? At least the butter at HEB is way over priced, so I can use it to justify to my husband why we are making our own butter (look, honey, it's cheaper AND it tastes better!). One of my biggest complaints about San Antonio is the lack of grocery options. Grocery shopping here sucks.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,946 times
simply put, you will never be able to please each consumer. if they honored all of the customer requests, the store would look like one huge flea market with no flow whatsoever.

the changes being made aren't just on a whim, it's tons of data mining to determine what fit would be the best....again, can't please em' all.

I really don't think people understand what all HEB does for the consumer and the community, but there will always be "haters".

And to the person speaking of Wegmans. They are a great retailer, hence they have a great relationship with HEB. They study HEB, and HEB study's them. But if you don't like HEB and would rather have Wegmans, then by all means go on up north and pay those 30% higher prices.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 AM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
I'm familiar with the Albertsons history. Hubby was a store manager for 15 years and we went all over the south. Ironically they still have the one Kerville store open. They did regroup early 2000s that is true.

Houston still has Randalls and other mom/pop, at least choices exist.

still everytime I go to HEB, (I personally love the store) the store is packed. maybe its just the store everyone loves to hate.

I've mentioned this before, many times store brands are made from big name brands and just relabled. Just because it doesn't say "Kellogs" or whatever doesn't mean it's not equal.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 16,876 times
Noticed here as well... Unfortunately some of the "items not moving off the shelves" had become staples at our house. Fresh ground peanut butter (those things were always empty), Cascadian Farms "cheerios" (the CM version is higher in sugar) and most of the Nature's Own bread selection vanished over the summer. In fact, HEB Plus now devotes an aisle and a half to the joys of bread - and most of it is either HEB bakery or Hill Country Fair. As an avid label reader, these options are higher in sugar and lower in fiber than Nature's Own.

I've also noted spoilage issues and have returned milk, cheese, chicken, pork and steaks - all within the sell by date range and all after checking to make sure our refrigerator was cooling properly. I've noticed more than once that the "New Lower Price" sour cream specials have a little caveat; a historical sell by date. Just last weekend I completely annoyed a stocker by doing the milk maid (Clerks? Anyone?) and shoving aside about 20 cartons of sour cream to find one with a date sometime in the future.

I spent two hours there yesterday, and like another poster will be taking my business to Culebra (the prices are in fact lower for many items) or Lincoln Heights (the produce there is out of this world). If I wanted to feel like I was at Wal-Mart, I'd be at Wal-Mart.

Oh, and I highly recommend greenling.com for anyone wanting organic and/or local produce. We've had them deliver few times and love it!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
I've noticed the decline at the Potranco/1604 HEB Plus as well, and it's sad. There are plenty of "regular" HEBs to shop at if someone isn't interested in the "upscale" products, but it was nice that they had a store that offered more selection. If the reasoning given is true, it makes me wonder what the new HEB Plus at Marbach & 410 is going to end up looking like. If that is the case, that the product line caters to the poorest clientele in the area, then there really is no reason to make it anything more than a "regular" HEB.

In fact, it almost appears that the objective of the HEB Plus stores has changed from being a step above their normal stores to something trying to compete with Walmart Super Stores!

Speaking of which, are there any "regular" Walmarts left?!?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:48 AM

464 posts, read 804,389 times
Grocery stores, as with most retailers these days, are in a huge state of flux. The economically-induced shift in consumer spending habits is forcing a move back to private label brands very similar to what happened in the 1970s. Simply put, private label brands offer more profit to the seller and a greater value to the consumer.

As a kid I remember these white boxes of cereal with black lettering simply labeled "Cereal." Quite disappointing when you wanted Captain Crunch or Fruity Pebbles, but as kids we had no concept of inflation. Retailers turned to private brands to offer customers the basics, albeit at rock-bottom prices in comparison to name brands. And they weren't always the best in terms of taste.

Today private label goods still offer a better value to the consumer and the quality and taste have also made improvements. Retailers around the globe are making a shift to move private label brands on their shelves, not only with the basics but with items targeted to foodies too.

That H-E-B is placing more private label brands onto the shelves is no surprise, like any merchandiser they will use the available shelf space as profitably as possible. For those of you interested in learning more about private brands, check out this interesting blog : myprivatebrand.

I appreciate finding otherwise impossible-to-locate items, particularly cheese and other imported things at Central Market. I buy such things on occasion because like any other consumer these days, regardless of your demographic, I'm watching the bottom line.

I don't consider myself a hater of H-E-B, I'm glad they're here and serve the community in the way that they do, however I do believe in the free market and would LOVE to see competition. H-E-B does offer some good prices on some items, while on others I feel they could be more competitive. I've been to the Fiesta Marts in Houston and in Austin and wish they'd open a location here. I've written them and received the "no current plans to expand into that region" form reply.

The free enterprise system has a Darwin-like effect in ensuring only the best businesses survive and I think as San Antonians (and Texans in general), we'd benefit from more competition. Anyone agree on that point? Anyone differ in opinion? If so, why? I'd love to hear your point of view.

One retailer, Soriana, a grocery chain I first visited in Piedras Negras, MX, has an interesting approach to competition and low prices. Soriana actually post circulars from competitors like Walmart and H-E-B in their stores showing that Soriana's prices are cheaper than the advertised specials at their competitors. I love international foods and places like Soriana and Fiesta Mart deliver those hard-to-find items at a fairly good price.

There were several posts about the variance in store cleanliness depending on the location of the store (the poorer demographic areas being reported as not as presentable vs. the more wealthy demographic area being cleaner.)

For me, it's about obtaining the best possible product at the lowest price. This often means I have to do some extensive research to avoid driving around to different places and in the long run the product actually costs me more (having spent on the fuel.) I also want a safe environment in which to shop. And most importantly, I want the hygienic conditions where food is handled and prepared to meet safety standards. I believe that's a fundamental right of any consumer, regardless of your zip code's demographics.

Currently I am finding the competitive niche being filled by some very tenacious entrepreneurs, your small ethnic grocery stores. I have found typically expensive staple items (for example Olive Oil) at bargain prices. Recently I bought a large bottle of Capers for $1.99 when at Walmart and H-E-B a bottle of Capers one third the size cost $3.99. I have found some produce at cheaper prices at these little grocery stores also.

So it pays to be aware of your choices, they are out there. The only draw back is you do have to make multiple stops and this may put off some folks.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:14 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
We've discussed an upscale market like Whole Foods or CM in the North before. Self-proclaimed business experts have opined that only the Alamo Heights crowd can support such. The N and NW upscale areas are not seen as 'worthy'.

Given HEB's obvious demographic genius - the Potranco story and the failed CM at 410 and Bandera - maybe they should take their decision process and multiply by -1. I think a CM with good items and quality takeout could work around Stone Oak.

However, they seem to be building a new store at Huebner and Babcock. If you look at the crowd at the current story at that intersection, it is not the gourmet minded.

However, I read that CMs are out and only Plus stores are being built. Blue cheese and crap clothes? Big video section when video stores are dying?

Went to Whole Foods yesterday, what a crappy store compared to the others in the country.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:58 PM

191 posts, read 454,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emvs73 View Post
Noticed here as well... Unfortunately some of the "items not moving off the shelves" had become staples at our house. Fresh ground peanut butter (those things were always empty), Cascadian Farms "cheerios" (the CM version is higher in sugar) and most of the Nature's Own bread selection vanished over the summer. In fact, HEB Plus now devotes an aisle and a half to the joys of bread - and most of it is either HEB bakery or Hill Country Fair. As an avid label reader, these options are higher in sugar and lower in fiber than Nature's Own.

I've also noted spoilage issues and have returned milk, cheese, chicken, pork and steaks - all within the sell by date range and all after checking to make sure our refrigerator was cooling properly. I've noticed more than once that the "New Lower Price" sour cream specials have a little caveat; a historical sell by date. Just last weekend I completely annoyed a stocker by doing the milk maid (Clerks? Anyone?) and shoving aside about 20 cartons of sour cream to find one with a date sometime in the future.

I spent two hours there yesterday, and like another poster will be taking my business to Culebra (the prices are in fact lower for many items) or Lincoln Heights (the produce there is out of this world). If I wanted to feel like I was at Wal-Mart, I'd be at Wal-Mart.

Oh, and I highly recommend greenling.com for anyone wanting organic and/or local produce. We've had them deliver few times and love it!
I wish I could use them, but they don't deliver to my house! Very disappointing. I've been e-mailing with them trying to figure out a way to get their food, but I guess it's not going to work out. All they offer is "have it delivered to your husband's work!" Deliveries aren't allowed at his work because of the infection risk. He works with a very vulnerable population, plus his work hours are all over the place, so that's not possible.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:24 PM

203 posts, read 561,422 times
What do you expect when so many damn people live of the govt these days. They shouldn't be allowed to buy expensive food with my tax dollars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio