Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 05:40 PM

464 posts, read 804,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markintosh View Post
I think Time-Warner offers both wireless routers for their regular wired service, but also now they are reselling Clearwire's wireless broadband under their name as well.
So if I understand your post correctly, you're saying that Road Runner Mobile is simply Clearwire repackaged with the Roadrunner label?

Time-Warner is really pushing this new Roadrunner Mobile service. I had a Time-Warner telemarketer constantly calling me the other week. When I finally answered the phone the person said they were promoting Road Runner Mobile and asked "How do you access the Internet when you're not at home?" I answered "I don't."

They said "OK, thank you." and hung up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 PM

11 posts, read 19,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
Our connection speed dropped from ~220KBps to ~28KBps about 3 weeks ago and hasn't budged since. We've been through all the trouble shooting routines and the problem is clearly on the provider's end. I'm reading on their forums that other San Antonio folks have had issue - how about anyone here? We're this >close< to dropping the service and fighting them on the cancellation penalty.

Exactly the same thing happened to us.

Same timeline, too - started about 3 weeks ago, after the last heavy rainfall. So we figured, it's probably a network problem from the storm, no problem. We gave them time, but things just kept crawling. Our box showed 4 out of 5 bars and yet our internet would crawl, especially at night.

Finally, we'd had enough. Speedtest.net clocked us at a low 0.29 MB (I'm not a techie, so my terms/acronyms might be off! ) Problem is, we're paying for 6.0! OK now I understand that 6.0 is a maximum, and that we're not in any way guaranteed to get that speed. But 0.29? Really?

So we called to see what's up. They had the following to say:
1) It's primarily a Netflix problem (yep, that's what they said - nevermind that the people streaming Netflix are simply using the broadband they're paying for), and so
2) THEY have been throttling the speed down for ALL of us (indescriminately), and
3) They're doing "system upgrades" to their infrustructure, and
4) They didn't know when it would be done (i.e. how much longer would we have to go on like this?)

My questions to them (they're lucky my husband talked with them and not me! Lol) are:
1) When exactly were they planning on telling us the above (we received NO communication from them at all, and from the looks of it, neither has anyone else), and
2) Are they going to give us a rebate/discount to cover the disparity between service paid for and abysmal service provided? (AT&T DSL and Timewarner Cable each did this for us whenever they had outages/subpar service)
3) What does that do to the 2-year contract we all got roped into?

Well, my first two questions didn't get answered, but here's what they had to say about my third question:
- Apparently, we MAY be able to get out of our contract at this point (this is coming from Clearwire directly), because they simply can't deliver what we've been paying for.
- Also, since we have Clear at both our apartment AND our office, we could merge the 2 accounts into one, maintain the same (theoretical) 6 MB service, and cut the bill in half.

I polled my friends about Uverse - they really seem to like it, and for those for whom it's not still available (because they moved or whatever), they lament that they can't have it.

My biggest beef with Clear is the lack of upfront communication. Sure, they attempted to kinda make things right, but that's AFTER we called. They could've avoided a PR nightmare by being more proactive/pre-emptive.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 19,994 times
Update:

About merging our 2 Clear accounts:
They're now backpedaling, saying "oh. We're sorry; when we told you that you could merge your 2 Clear accounts, we didn't know your accounts were at a2 different locations", when I KNOW my husband specifically told them the 2 accounts were at different locations.

So apparently we can't merge the accounts. OK, no problem.

As far as getting out of our contract? It'll cost us $40. Related to "the equipment" they said. To which I asked my husband, but they get the equipment back... And he said they called it a "restocking fee".

So, just so you know, you CAN break out of your contract if you're having this problem.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 AM

144 posts, read 360,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillcountrywinefan View Post
So if I understand your post correctly, you're saying that Road Runner Mobile is simply Clearwire repackaged with the Roadrunner label?

Time-Warner is really pushing this new Roadrunner Mobile service. I had a Time-Warner telemarketer constantly calling me the other week. When I finally answered the phone the person said they were promoting Road Runner Mobile and asked "How do you access the Internet when you're not at home?" I answered "I don't."

They said "OK, thank you." and hung up.
Yep, I'm pretty sure that's the deal. In fact, I think Clear is just reselling Sprint's 4G network to begin with, so it's just getting resold on down the line...

Old 09-30-2010, 01:09 PM

26 posts, read 66,066 times
So is this why I haven't been able to watch netflix movies between 7-9pm? I have clear also, thought it was a netflix issue.....

Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM

27 posts, read 43,540 times
Not a huge fan of TW, but they (imho) still manage to beat the pants off the competition. Currently have TW and have only had 1 problem with their service - it was fixed within hours. Same situation when I lived in Houston - when Comcast took over, prices went straight up and service plummetted. And ATT will nickel and dime you to death (plus, heaven help you if you ever need to get anything resolved through their customer service!).

Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM

229 posts, read 473,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalizedTexan View Post
Not a huge fan of TW, but they (imho) still manage to beat the pants off the competition. Currently have TW and have only had 1 problem with their service - it was fixed within hours. Same situation when I lived in Houston - when Comcast took over, prices went straight up and service plummetted. And ATT will nickel and dime you to death (plus, heaven help you if you ever need to get anything resolved through their customer service!).

Thank goodness we didn't go with Clear. The reception was just awful, so we declined. Instead, have gone with the naked DSL w/ ATT for 19.95 a month. It's not super fast, but unless you are streaming movies, it should be good enough. The price certainly rocks! And for whatever reason, there aren't any taxes, fees, or anything. Just 19.95 a month. I think it's called "DSL Basic"

Old 09-30-2010, 05:45 PM

472 posts, read 1,076,472 times
A friend of mine that worked with Clear told me that they were having trouble with the home service,.. too many customers to handle the network and it was gonna take till November- December to fix the problem,..yet they were of course not telling the new customers that were signing a contract the outages,..I know this cause I was gonna hook-up with Clear and had a chance to hook-up with AT&T, but stayed with TW,..didn't wanna take a step backwards with AT&T,...

Old 09-30-2010, 06:24 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
Thank goodness we didn't go with Clear. The reception was just awful, so we declined. Instead, have gone with the naked DSL w/ ATT for 19.95 a month. It's not super fast, but unless you are streaming movies, it should be good enough. The price certainly rocks! And for whatever reason, there aren't any taxes, fees, or anything. Just 19.95 a month. I think it's called "DSL Basic"
Currently, the $19.95/month promotional "naked" DSL service price goes to $45/month at the end of the promotion. Their lowest cost standalone DSL service (1.5 mbps) is $35/month, after expiration of promotional pricing.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:59 PM

36 posts, read 149,114 times
TW just hiked our DSL price, so last night we signed up for AT&T's DSL Elite. What do you guys think? Bad move? We watch a lot of Netflix Instant Play and that is my primary concern...that we can keep watching it.

Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio