Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:00 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times

Advertisements

Here's why I think is .... kind-of progressive. Besides having a lot of "Made in Canada"

Here's the description that Qubo gives of its channel:

About qubo
qubo® is a groundbreaking bilingual, multi-platform entertainment destination for children that focuses on literacy, values and healthy lifestyles while celebrating the unlimited possibilities of a child's imagination. Most of qubo's shows are associated with popular children's books, and the network's interstitial programming continues to reinforce messages about early literacy and healthy living. Beyond its quality television offerings, qubo utilizes its interstitial programming, website and outside partnerships (with the U.S. Olympic committee, Reading is Fundamental and KaBOOM!) to promote messages about healthy living and literacy. qubo also recently adopted a set of nutritional guidelines for acceptable foods that can be advertised on air.

Description of Ion Life on their webpage:

ION Life
ION Life is the country's first television network dedicated to promoting active lifestyles, personal growth and wellness. The programming slate includes such topics as health, fitness, diet and nutrition, purposeful living, competitive and lifestyle sports, "best of" travel, shopping, family activities and personal adventures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Now that we are talking about this...
I forgot to mention Channel 9 has three (3) PBS channels and a channel in Spanish called "V-me"
KLRN :: San Antonio: Home

Here's the 3 ION channel on channel 26

Old 10-11-2010, 12:11 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times
I still don't see how this is progressive. Bush was for literacy and he lived a healthy and active lifestyle, but I wouldn't call him progressive. I don't think encouraging your children to learn at an early age and promoting a healthy, active lifestyle has anything to do with political affiliation. Otherwise, thanks because I find Canadians interesting. As far as bilingual programming, we have plenty of that in S.A. If the bilingual programming in Canada is French and English, it pretty much has to be that way because of Quebec.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:47 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,880,866 times
Progessivism is not just politics but also values and ideals the like which can be found in progressive education.

Also Qubo's bilingual programming is in Spanish and not French. Bilingualism is pretty progressive. Most conservatives are against it especially in education.

When President Clinton encouraged schools to adopt uniforms is was progressive because:

Quote:
he knew that parents resented the heavy marketing of expensive sneakers and designer-label clothes to their kids -- not to mention the violence sometimes sparked among clothes-conscious teens. He knew that the competition for this pricey gear sent the wrong message to kids about what was important in school. By endorsing school uniforms, he put Democrats on the side of parents.

Siding with the people against powerful interests is populism. But what makes it progressive is the core belief that rearing children is not just a private responsibility for parents to bear alone. The public has an interest -- and the state has a role -- in supporting parents and in leveling the playing field.
PPI: Close the Parent Gap by Barbara Dafoe Whitehead (http://www.ppionline.org/ppi_ci.cfm?knlgAreaID=114&subsecID=144&contentID=2 53357 - broken link)

Qubo does not allow marketing forces to influence their child viewers by not allowing advertisement from unhealthy food products like fast food. That is progressive because most conservatives would be happy to sell you unhealthy food believing it is your choice but really just protecting their industries.

Quote:
Qubo programming is not only fun, it teaches right from wrong, the importance of non-judgment, how to form friendships, and how to be respectful and kind.
Qubo | Scholastic.com

Non-judgment = tolerance and acceptance, hallmarks of progressivism and usually anathema to reactionaries and conservatives.

Quote:
I can't help noticing that a lot of "Qubo Block" Shows for kids on NBC contain themes of royalty, feudalism, and the 'morals' and 'values' that are inherent in such systems of rule.
Is "Qubo" Subversive // General Discussion

The above blogger noticed programming on Qubo question the morals and values of royalty and feudalism. A conservative worldview would find no shame in history or the traditional use of power to sustain social inequality. A progressive worldview questions those things and wants to move forward.

Jane and the Dragon is about a girl who instead of needing rescuing herself is the one who rescues the prince. Some of Qubo's other shows are sponsored by The Carnegie Corporation which maintains as part of its mission "the advancement of minorities and women in pre-college and higher education."

It is also places importance in science which to some conservatives (especially fundies) is all psycho babble. As known progressives place a high priority in science to form their worldview.

PBS is also considered similarly. Before Kenneth Tomlison resigned from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting he claimed it had a liberal bias. NPR is also a target of some conservatives who would rather not see it funded at all.

So progressive television might not be purely politics, or ranting and raving like right-wing radio which is all fear based. It instead is based on education, the environment, equality, and healthy living among the more purely political issues and causes one might first think of when they think of progressivism.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 AM

You are probably going to make a lot of people mad on here. Hahahaha!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
You are probably going to make a lot of people mad on here. Hahahaha!
Why are they offended? PC?
I already underlined on a previous post why I wrote that title.

No reason to keep on talking about it.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,799,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
...Non-judgment = tolerance and acceptance, hallmarks of progressivism and usually anathema to reactionaries and conservatives...
Unless it's an opinion contrary to the self-described progressive. Then you'll get plenty of judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Some of Qubo's other shows are sponsored by The Carnegie Corporation which maintains as part of its mission "the advancement of minorities and women in pre-college and higher education."
I've got a better idea. Why not promote those who are best qualified.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I've got a better idea. Why not promote those who are best qualified.
Qubo's phone number should be on their webpage.
Let us know what they tell you.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why are they offended? PC?
I already underlined on a previous post why I wrote that title.

No reason to keep on talking about it.
I was referring to Merovee's description of how the station is progressive.

scuba steve, how did you get affirmative action out of that statement? Maybe they are dedicated to helping the underserved so they can fairly compete.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,799,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Qubo's phone number should be on their webpage.
Let us know what they tell you.
Yeah that'll work well. I've got a problem with the mission from an organization that sponsors some shows, so do something about it.

meisha210 It's right there in their mission. Why not just promote education instead of singling out any group in particular?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio