Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times

Advertisements

I might have several people over, so I think it would be cheaper to just buy a whole meal and I'll even have leftovers for a couple of weeks. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:57 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
Heb

Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM

I think I might go with Luby's. I don't know if they have one of the better tasting dinners, but it seems likely they'll give me the most bang for the buck and I will have a lot more options.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:39 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,503 times
Rudy's!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:39 AM

74 posts, read 175,974 times
We tried Luby's last year and for the price it was not enough food. The Turkey was way small and we didn't have enough food for 5 people.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:23 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
We've used Luby's, but we tend to avoid the package holiday meals, just ordering certain items a la carte. Haven't had a whole turkey that was too small from them. One Luby's did make a mistake and gave us a raw turkey loaf instead of a whole roast turkey. Pissed me off...didn't see it until the holdiay when it was too late! They ended up paying us back for the whole order later, too! I avoid that location...and I personally check every single item at pickup time. Also, better to order too much of something than to run out during dinner.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:49 PM

123 posts, read 288,089 times
does marie callenders do this type of stuff? i just noticed one last week as i was wandering around town. didnt know there was a marie callenders in town.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:00 PM

I have yet to call Rudy's and there is no information available online. I will call them on Monday. I did, however, check out all of the other suggestions and this is what I found.

Marie Callender's Restaurant & Bakery Holiday Guide

Marie Callender's cheapest feast is $99.99. You get a turkey with trimmings (Apple-Sage Stuffing • Fire-Roasted Yams (with cranberry streusel topping) • Cranberry Sauce
• Fresh Mashed Potatoes • Turkey Gravy • Chef's Vegetables • Fresh Baked Cornbread
Whole Pumpkin or Apple Pie • Marie's Special Blend Coffee). I don't want half of that stuff. I can order an oven roasted turkey a la carte and order the sides that I want, but I do not want apple-sage stuffing or fire-roasted yams with cranberry streusel topping. I just want the plain, traditional stuff.

Shop Whole Foods Market Online | WholeFoodsMarket.com

The Whole Foods dinner is $129.99 and I don't want pecan cornbread stuffing or creamed spinach. It comes with a pre-roasted, smoked turkey and sides (Classic Mashed Potatoes, Turkey Gravy, Pecan Cornbread Stuffing, Macaroni and Cheese, Creamed Spinach, Wheat or Plain Dinner Rolls and Pecan Pie).

Central Market | Stores | In Stores Now | Holiday Catering

Central Market's Traditional Turkey dinner is $129.99. Free-Range Oven-Roasted Turkey, Turkey Giblet Gravy, Traditional Cornbread Dressing, Green Beans Amandine, Whipped Russet Potatoes, Fresh Cranberry-Orange Sauce, Brioche Rolls.

http://www.qsrmagazine.com/articles/...SS_Syndication

La Madeleine has the worst website in terms of finding their holiday menu. They posted it on their site on Nov. 5 because it was advertised on the home page and now I can't find it. I found their menu on another site though. Holiday Turkey Feast - The perfect take-home holiday option. Enjoy a ready-to-heat feast of roasted turkey breast, homemade mushroom stuffing, potato gratin, green beans almondine, tangy cranberry relish, mushroom sauce, seven-grain petit rolls, a pecan tart, and traditional pumpkin pie. This special-occasion meal is also available in half size and one-and-a-half size Holiday Feasts. Priced to accommodate your holiday crowd serving four to six for $64.99, eight to 10 for $94.99, and 12 to 14 for $149.99. I don't like those choices either.

CAFE FUN | PROMOTIONS

Mimi's is $79.99. You get a turkey, cornbread stuffing, whipped sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, vegetables, cranberry relish, and a seasonal bread basket.

Holiday Meals - HEB

I don't see the price for H.E.B., but I'm sure it's probably much cheaper than the other places. I would have to buy or make the desserts separately.
Holiday Turkey Dinner: Serves 6-8
H-E-B Fully Cooked® Turkey (9-12 lbs.)
Cornbread Stuffing (40 oz.)
Creamy Mashed Potatoes (40 oz.)
Green Bean Casserole (32 oz.)
Turkey Gravy (24 oz.)
Cranberry Relish (16 oz.)

Grady's BAR-B-Q & Catering

Grady's is $59.99. There are only 4 pies to choose from and they are $11+.

HOLIDAY FEAST Serves 8 - 12
Choice of one:
Smoked Turkey (12 to 14 lbs raw) or Spiral Ham (8 to 10 lbs)
with 1/2 gallon dressing,
a quart of mashed potatoes,
a quart of green beans and
a quart of turkey gravy

http://www.lubys.com/en/TH10_brochure.pdf (broken link)

I'm avoiding Luby's packaged meals because the options are limited. I'm ordering a deep fried turkey for $38. You can also get it roasted or smoked. I'm getting the Complete the Feast Package for $26.99 which includes 3 quarts of holiday sides (choose from mashed potatoes, candied yams, fresh green beans, macaroni au gratin, buttered corn, peas and carrots, and corn bread dressing), 1 gallon tea, 1 dozen dinner rolls. I'm ordering the pie separately for $10 (pumpkin, apple, cherry, chocolate ice box, sweet potato, pecan). I would also have to order the giblet gravy separately for $4.99. That will all come to $79.98 before taxes.

The main things I wanted was a whole turkey (getting it deep fried is a plus), traditional cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes or yams cooked in a traditional way, regular mashed potatoes, gravy, dinner rolls, and a dessert that's not apple or pumpkin pie. The sweet potato pie at Luby's is a bonus because it's hard to find and the two I've found in stores were disgusting.

Last edited by L210; 11-07-2010 at 11:25 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 PM

For those who might be interested in Bill Miller's, it was okay for the price.

:Bill Miller Bar-B-Q - Holiday Meals

Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Awesome post meisha, I am sure that research will help others tremendously.

I need to keep spreading rep around or I would have repped you on some other posts as well.

I had to lol when you said you did not want 'apple-sage stuffing or fire-roasted yams with cranberry streusel topping' but I think that it is just a fancy way of saying candied yams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio