Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 09:23 AM

570 posts, read 1,286,640 times

Advertisements

Sometimes when I try to close it, it will start to close and then get stuck.
I've checked and there is nothing blocking the sensors on each side.

Bottom line is.... I need to have a Service Repair person check it out.
It was purchased from Sears.
I would sure appreciate opinions of who would be a good HONEST person to call to fix this.
I am thinking about calling the Sears Repair/Service Department.
But wanted to get advise from some of you. Especially if you have first-hand experience of having done business with a good one. Or maybe even who to avoid using.
Thanks in advance for recommendations, opinions or advise.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,119 times
I had a garage door issue recently that bugged the snot out of me that I think I have resolved. I was having issues closing the garage with the remote after backing out. Well I found out if I turn off the garage motor light before backing out, then the remote will close the garage. I don't know why in the hell that works. But it does. Not sure that helps at all. Sometimes it is just trial and error.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I've used Affordable Overhead Door Co. about 3 times and have always been satisfied. If you decide to use them, don't miss the 10% off coupon on the web site.

If you're handy and want to try a DIY fix first, get a can of silicone spray lubricant, put the concentrator tube on it and spray every hinge on the door. Then run the door up and down a few times.
It might solve the problem more cheaply than a service call.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Bowie may be on the right track - lube the hinges AND the wheels. Look for anything binding. Disconnect the drive unit and manually run the door up and down while feeling for anything binding/hanging. That's 90% of the problem - most openers today have a circuit to test for "load" that's designed to shut it down if it meets a given resistance.
Oh.....speaking of that - IT could be the problem as well. That circuit is adjustable, and sometimes it'll need to be "tweaked" over time. Get out the owners manual and look for information on adjusting it. If you don't have a manual, google it online with the model number - you'll likely find it.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,750 times
We have a Craftsman GDO from Sears and have used their repair service with the service contract. If you have more than one Sears appliance, you can bundle it together and save some money. As for their service techs, I have never had a problem with them. They have been prompt and courteous and have fixed the problem quickly. Sometimes when you call the repair center, they will ask you to go through some steps to see if it you can fix it yourself or if they have to send someone out. Had that happen when our GDO had an issue. We were able to fix it using the tech's directions. Some may feel service policies are a rip-off, but for us, it's been a lifesaver and well worth the money invested.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
For someone that's not a "Handyman" type, yeah - service contracts can be handy. Problem for folks like me is that I can usually figure it out myself - and I'm a tightwad!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Blame NSA and send the government a bill. No, wait; it broke when a Thunderbird hit Mach III+ over your house during last weekend's airshow!

Or maybe it's some of those black helicopters flying overhead; or those big USAF jets whose contrails are really secret mind-altering fairy dust made from dead aliens from Mars!

Now, where'd my tin foil hat go?!?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Blame NSA and send the government a bill.
I'm surprised that you are making fun of that, since we had a long discussion here about the NSA affecting garage door openers on the West side of the city.

KSAT: NW Residents Garage Doors Won't Budge

Old 11-08-2010, 06:28 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
I remember the discussion, which it why I posted my comments satirizing it.

Some folks were blaming NSA for the problem (when it was the military radio system that Federal law states has priority in that bandwidth), much like the guy who claims the F-16s at this past weekend's air show caused the roof of his business to collapse.

Just trying to add some levity to the thread...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:42 PM

147 posts, read 310,008 times
I'm having the same problem. I push the remote and the door goes up half way and stops. One morning, it took me 8 trys before it worked. Every now and then it sticks. I have a Chamberlain GDO. Should I 4in1 oil the GDO track?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio