Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times

Advertisements

The current 40mph is ridiculous. 55mph would be an easier sell I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 06:22 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I'm sure GLAD to hear about the light. I'll sometimes take Wiseman to Talley and then onto Westcreek. It can get pretty messy sometimes with all the traffic. I think.... that some Folks are using that route as a shortcut to Potranco to head west.

I really wish like you that there would be a lot more BCSD on Patrol out there since it never seems like the speed limit is being followed.
If the speed limit isn't being followed, that's a sign that the speed limit is too low.

I'll drive out there one of these days and check it out when I can. Don't have much time, though.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
Sadly no matter what the speed limit is only a few will drive it. Usually when I travel Talley from Culebra (FM 471) to Potranco it is due to work and having someone on my ass is not uncommon.

Does anyone remember what happen years ago to reduce the speed limit to 40 mph and make the entire stretch a double yellow line? You used to see BCSD out after the accident all the time but that came to a halt. Since that accident there have been a couple others but I don't know the details. However you will see the memorials that have been put up.

Last edited by wellguy; 11-15-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM

314 posts, read 832,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Sadly no matter what the speed limit is only a few will drive it. Usually when I travel Talley from Culebra (FM 471) to Potranco it is due to work and having someone on my ass is not uncommon.
Sorry

But seriously, sometimes I have a cop following me down Tally and it takes every ounce of will power to stay at 40...that is just to slow for that road.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
If I remember correctly, there was an accident about 15 years ago, a high school girl was passing on a terrible blind spot and hit another car. There was something about her father suing the contractor that built the road because there were no yellow lines at the time.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:56 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
I think that the argument that if you pop the speed limit up, then people will only drive EVEN FASTER is truly incorrect.

Most people are decent drivers. Not excellent, but certainly decent, and they get by every day safely. Obviously, this excludes the lunatics and incompetents.

Speed limits, when appropriate, reflect the speed that most people are driving on a particular road during average density levels. Decent drivers won't endanger themselves by driving any faster than they are comfortable with.

This means that if MOST people are "speeding", then they're not really speeding. The speed limit is just too low on that stretch of road.

Speed limits should be appropriate for maximum safety. Not too low, and certainly not too high.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:53 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,842,502 times
As I remember the young girl was the daughter of a Judge here in Bexar County.

Maybe in time the speed limit will be changed with the help of a 21 million dollar project (2009 Federal Highway Funding Bill)

Talley Road: Galm to Potranco Phase I
Project Scope: Expands an existing two-lane roadway into a divided 4-lane road with two 12' travel lanes in each direction and 8' multifunction use pedestrian path on both sides......

Isn't there a short stretch of Galm right past West Oak Estates?

Last edited by wellguy; 11-16-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio