Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times

Advertisements

Verdict? It's now open. Requesting recon team insertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM

81 posts, read 188,569 times
I noticed they are open for business, however I have yet to try them. They are on Leslie Rd between Shaenfield and Culebra at the entrance of Bridgewood.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:50 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
We're close, and noticed today that they're open; but they're not high on the target list just yet.

Still, with Krystals and Mr Cod closed, we might get by there in the near future. But with Rudy's just up the street, it'll be tough to stop there instead...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
MMM, KRYSTALS?? I thought I counted you as a reliable food connoisseur, but with Krystals I'm gonna have to dock off some points...

Old 11-20-2010, 01:15 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
MMM, KRYSTALS?? I thought I counted you as a reliable food connoisseur, but with Krystals I'm gonna have to dock off some points...
Sorry Nick, I hate to disappoint ya but it's what I grew up with as a teenager.

Back then I used to eat 20 or more of those things in a single sitting; these days ten give me indigestion but I still love those little sliders!

Max nix now, no more Krystals in SA...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-21-2010, 12:03 AM

35 posts, read 92,484 times
Stopped by there on Friday. The chicken was great, brisket good, the sides (green beans and potato salad) not so good. Will definetly go back for the chicken and brisket. Will have to try some different sides too.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,013 times
Stopped by on Sunday, potato salad needs improvement, it was just potatoes and mayo, green beens were from a can, coleslaw was watered down, brisket was baked and they had no seasonings, they were out of chicken, sausage was ok. They tried to season the brisket with a ton of sauce. Not good enough to give a second chance.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:26 AM

94 posts, read 361,131 times
Two bros. BBQ on west ave is awesome. They have a jug of grape koolaid plus a huge playground for kiddos.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:51 PM

276 posts, read 970,125 times
If there's not a lot smoke spewing out of a brick chimney, happy people quietly chewing at picnic tables covered in white butcher paper, lots of smiles between bites, and some old dude adjusting his belt while a toothpick is stuck firmly between his teeth as he climbs into his pickup truck --- it ain't a real Texas barbecue joint!!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:54 PM

24 posts, read 60,229 times
We noticed immediately upon pulling up that there was no smoke nor smell of BBQ. A bad sign.

The location itself is very spartan, but I'm there for the food, not the atmosphere. The people working there are friendly enough, but it seemed very overstaffed when we showed up.

The food can best be described as cafeteria BBQ. The sausage is "cooked" in an oven, not smoked and the BBQ may not even be prepared on site. We saw them scooping it out and putting it into crock pots behind the counter. Not once did we ever see or smell a pit in action. The brisket wasn't bad, but wasn't anything worth writing home about. I'd say overall it rates somewhere behind Bill Millers (and I'm *not* the kind of person who considers Bill Millers a legitimate BBQ establishment.) I think there is a distinct possibility the BBQ itself is prepared off-site and unwrapped on location.

My wife had the chicken but didn't finish it. I hate to be negative towards what might be a family business, but it was pretty bland. The portions were tiny as well, leaving us hungry despite the fact the quality was less than stellar.

Some suggestions for the owners:
1.) Larger portions. Your portions were embarrassingly small.
2.) Put a garbage can out were customers can find it. I make it a habit to clean my own table after eating at a BBQ establishment but couldn't for the life of me find any place to put our garbage, we had to leave it on the table, which felt wrong.
3.) You need to smoke your meats, chicken and sausage on site, if you can't or won't, Rudy's, which is pretty middle of the road for BBQ, is right down the road.

Just sayin...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio