Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Was it Aunt Julies? or just Julies? I'm thinking there was a Julies on 410 and Walzem. That location was owned by the Hasslochers(named after his daughter I think) and pretty much Jim's fare and they served alcohol...
It was called Aunt Julie's Kitchen, or Aunt Julie's Country Kitchen. There was another one near Wurzbach and I-10, where the Texas Land and Cattle is now. We used to eat there a lot after church or on weekends with visiting family. They had a weekend breakfast buffet that had some of the best Chorizo and Egg I can remember. I don't think it was a Hasslocher operation, I am not sure who owned it. I think there were some others located through-out the state as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 01:31 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default That was 1604 @ 281 North 1986 ?,

That was The Stone Oak National Bank at the Northeast corner of that blinker light intersection. A very cute girl named Lourdes was the drive- thru Teller there.
County Line Bar-B-Que was around two or three hundred feet west
on the south side of the divided highway, 1604, near some sort of dinner theatre
and I cannot remember the name of it any more. I banked there at Stone Oak Bank when I lived in Spring Branch. It was the only bank up that way back then even all the way out past Bulverde to Spring Branch. Not much else was out there on 1604 either, until you made it to Universal City.
There was an ice house near Bandera and 1604 on just east of Bandera Rd
on the outside of the loop, where locals sat and drank beer on the outdoor picnic tables but I cannot remember the name of that one either.
Mary Denman, an announcer from WOAI radio was at the theatre near 281 quite a bit as Master of Ceremonies or some such part. I can also remember John Wayne's son, Patrick Wayne made an appearance there.
Yea, San Antone has been very much the boom town and the transformation has been remarkable to witness and when one thinks back about it there seems never have been a time when the building of the city was not going on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Instead of working here at work, I'm playing around on Historic Aerials! This is freaking me out! It's unbelievable how much this town has changed!

My question is: does anyone know what sort of gas station (or whatever the heck it was) sat on the NW corner of 281/1604 in 1986?

Here's a pic of it: http://www.historicaerials.com/featu...aspx?poi=13997

Last edited by huckster; 12-02-2010 at 01:48 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 01:52 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,905,884 times
A bank it was - my brother had an account there when he was attending UTSA.

If y'all don't mind, what was the name of the BBQ place on West Avenue (on the right side as you went north) somewhere between Blanco and Bitters?

Last edited by Danbo1957; 12-02-2010 at 02:44 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 02:41 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Those that said it was probably a bank are correct. It was the First Republic National Bank that came to San Antonio in the late 1970's. I actually worked at a temporary location right by the Pearl Brewery during summer vacation. (281 downtown was not completed). The bank had a short lived history with the Savings and Loan Melt down. To be sure, I traced the property ownership back and found where The First Republic Bank sold that property to Midway Development Co. in 1988...two years after the photo was taken. It's possible that location had already closed, or the photo was taken on a Sunday.

General Information
Document Number: 1525723 Book Type: OPR
Book Number: 04221 Page Number: 1499
Filed Date: 1/20/1988 Filing Time: 12:00 AM
Instrument Type: PARTIAL RELEASE Instrument Date: 1/8/1988
Consideration Amt: $0.00 Market Source:
Comment:
# of Pages: 4

Grantor - FIRST REPUBLICBANK

Grantee -MIDWAY DEV CO

Bexar County Clerk Deed Records

Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM

(**looks like a couple more bank confirmations while I was researching. Makes total sense for it to become Stone Oak Bank after First Republic went under.)

Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
That was The Stone Oak National Bank at the Northeast corner of that blinker light intersection. .
Just making sure...you did mean NW corner, right?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:27 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,390,063 times
Default I sure hope,

I was right about that being a bank , otherwise I don't know where
all that money came from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Those that said it was probably a bank are correct. It was the First Republic National Bank that came to San Antonio in the late 1970's. I actually worked at a temporary location right by the Pearl Brewery during summer vacation. (281 downtown was not completed). The bank had a short lived history with the Savings and Loan Melt down. To be sure, I traced the property ownership back and found where The First Republic Bank sold that property to Midway Development Co. in 1988...two years after the photo was taken. It's possible that location had already closed, or the photo was taken on a Sunday.

General Information
Document Number: 1525723 Book Type: OPR
Book Number: 04221 Page Number: 1499
Filed Date: 1/20/1988 Filing Time: 12:00 AM
Instrument Type: PARTIAL RELEASE Instrument Date: 1/8/1988
Consideration Amt: $0.00 Market Source:
Comment:
# of Pages: 4

Grantor - FIRST REPUBLICBANK

Grantee -MIDWAY DEV CO

Bexar County Clerk Deed Records

Old 12-02-2010, 07:12 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
According to the following link County Line BBQ first opened in SA in 1982.

mikemcguff.com blog: The County Line barbecue restaurant owner Randy Goss found dead

The following link states Fiesta Dinner Theater was sold and turned into a church (HFCC) and does not mention it being County Line BBQ at any intermediate stage.

Debora Daniels (http://voices.mysanantonio.com/deboradaniels/2010/05/remember-when.html - broken link)

This fellow SA-CDer remembers visiting the theater and County Line BBQ also being out there (at the same time I am assuming).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11448842-post4.html

Finally, the wiki link for Earl Holliman states his dinner theater closed after 1987.

Earl Holliman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
County Line was located about a 1/2 block inside 1604 between what is now Stone Oak Parkway and 281. I think the street is either Afton Oaks or Sterling Browning maybe. This space is now Clear Springs Restaurant(or something like that)

The church was the second occupant of Hollimon's Fiesta Dinner Theatre(after it was vacant for a while). It was never County Line BBQ.
The last year that Fiesta Dinner Playhouse was listed in the phone directory was 1983. It was at 1270 N loop 1604 W. The first year County Line BBQ was Listed was 1982, also on N Loop 1604 W, but no street number. Harvest Fellowship didn't show up at the former dinner theater address until 1995, but County Line was still listed as having their location out there then.

So, it is apparent to me now that County Line BBQ and Fiesta Dinner Playhouse/Harvest Fellowship were two separate buildings. I'm pretty sure the dinner theater was out of business, or at least closed the one and only evening around 1986 that I visited that County Line location, because I remember the BBQ place being a hub of activity in an otherwise desolate area. It sounds like County Line opened up just before the dinner theater shut down, then closed that location just after Harvest Fellowship took over the dinner theater property.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:01 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,861,079 times
I ate at the County Line on Afton Oaks (which is now Clear Springs Restaurant) in 1983. It looks exactly the same inside as far as I can remember.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,837,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Instead of working here at work, I'm playing around on Historic Aerials! This is freaking me out! It's unbelievable how much this town has changed!

My question is: does anyone know what sort of gas station (or whatever the heck it was) sat on the NW corner of 281/1604 in 1986?

Here's a pic of it: http://www.historicaerials.com/featu...aspx?poi=13997
My guess is that it is a temp. building put up by John Santikos. He owned that land about that time and was going to build a shopping center plus a 16 screen theatre. He owned the nw corner of the intersection. He wound up selling the chain to a theatre company that later sold it to Regal. In 2002 he took back 6 theatres from Regal.

I didn't read all the post, I see that it was a bank, but that does not preclude Santikos from owning all the land around it. He owned that tract plus a tract around 1604 and Bandera and also another tract on 1604 further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio