Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,542,608 times

Advertisements

very sad for this officer.

SAPD Officer Mike Thornton Loses Leg In Overnight Wreck - San Antonio & Texas News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/26584061/detail.html - broken link)

from the article it was not the drivers first arrest for driving drunk either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:24 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,617 times
*sigh*

Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,617 times
This drunk driving crap needs to stop.......

Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
It is very sad. I was driving to work a few hours ago and I saw someone swerving and nearly hitting a few cars. I was thinking, "Where are the cops when you need them?", and then I saw a police car speed by at about 90mph without the sirens on. I then saw him or her stop at the scene of an accident where there was already another cop car. I wonder why it was enough of an emergency to speed, but not enough of an emergency to have the sirens on or EMS respond. I also wonder why two officers had to respond. My guess is that one of the drivers was drunk, but I don't know.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
We all know it needs to stop.

The question is when are we going to do something about it?

Want to get serious about stopping these people?

~ First time offense, $500.00 fine, the person's car is impounded for 30 days and the license is revoked for 30 days,

~ Second offense, $1,000.00 fine the car is confiscated and sold at auction and their license is suspended for 60 days.

~ Third offense, $10,000.00 fine and whatever car they are driving is confiscated and sold at auction. and their license is suspended for 60 days.

The bleeding hearts who say: "how will they get to work?" can drive the convicted person to/from work or the store....

Obviously all our laws and the cutesy commercials on TV are not getting the point across, it's time to get tough.

It's about time we turn the tables on these DUI folks and cause them major grief and hassles...

Building alcohol sensing equipment into cars penalizes all of us, in many ways.

Confiscating their transportation and collecting hefty fines will put a dent in the habitual drunks who drink and drive. Taking away ANY car he legally drives DUI on a second offense and his car is auctioned off, state gets the money.

It's time we put our strength, our resolve and our mettle to the test. Are we the same stock as our Texas for-fathers? Will we stand up for what is right and just or whimper the PC sayings that got us in this disaster.

It's time for the whiners, bleeding hearts and Politically Correct crowd to do the right thing. We all join together attack these convicted DUI drivers where it hurts them. And if they are stupid enough to get stopped for another DUI, the car is history and you owe the state a pile of money.

Last edited by plwhit; 01-23-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
I agree with confiscating the vehicle, but I think the license suspension should be longer on the 3rd offense; maybe 180 days. Maybe it should be permanently revoked on the 4th offense.

License suspension from 180 days to 2 years is already an option for the 3rd offense. I just wonder how many people get the maximum penalty.

Texas DUI | DWI Laws | Drunk Driving Laws, Penalties, Fines | SR22 Insurance | drivinglaws.org

Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
The car they are driving might not even be their own.

This is how I would do it.

1st time offense: Take away license for five years.

2nd time offense: Take away license forever and deport them to an oil rig out in the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The car they are driving might not even be their own.
Undoubtedly, a significant percentage of the vehicles on the road at any given time are being driven by someone other than the registered owner. It could belong to another family member, a relative, a friend, an employer, a rental-car company, a girlfriend's mother's cousin, or it could be stolen.

I strongly support stiffer penalties for DUI offenders, but I don't think auctioning off the vehicle they were driving is fair to owners who did not commit the offense.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 AM

615 posts, read 1,523,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Undoubtedly, a significant percentage of the vehicles on the road at any given time are being driven by someone other than the registered owner. It could belong to another family member, a relative, a friend, an employer, a rental-car company, a girlfriend's mother's cousin, or it could be stolen.

I strongly support stiffer penalties for DUI offenders, but I don't think auctioning off the vehicle they were driving is fair to owners who did not commit the offense.
In Europe they just take away your license. Why not do the same? Driving is a privilege not a right. Just take away their privileges to drive. We do 3 strikes for drug possession (a smaller crime in my opinion) but we're so lax on DUI's.

Hell, the Navy has a 1 strike, you're out rule for DUI's now.

1st offense - 30 days
2nd offense - 180 days
3rd offense - forever

Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,042,880 times
People drive without licenses all the time. Taking it away is not going to solve anything. These people need to serve time, first offense. Huge fines, vistis to probation officers, daily monitoring of alcohol/drug use, any way their lives can be messed with is fine by me. In my opinion, they don't have any regard for MY life, why should I give a damn about some disruption in THEIR life? At least they are still breathing.

Second offense, multiply the first offense penalties by 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio