Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

I used to think San Antonio was a lively city with tons of things to do. I moved back to Florida 2 years ago and then I came back to SA this past September. Every since I've been back, everything has been stuck in time. Not much has changed and it seems there is nothing to do. I mean, when you take out the low quality nightlife, downtown, and parks, what is there to do? I've been to Six flags six times already. I've never been to SeaWorld here but I've heard it was pretty wack. Parks are lame to me. The riverwalk is overrated. What exactly does anyone do for fun around this city besides clubbing and smoking weed (which I don't do)?

Btw, I hope no one thinks I am bashing SA. I love this city. I am simply bored with it.

Last edited by allenk893; 02-25-2011 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 07:54 AM

615 posts, read 1,523,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I used to think San Antonio was a lively city with tons of things to do. I moved back to Florida 2 years ago and then I came back to SA this past September. Every since I've been back, everything has been stuck in time. Not much has changed and it seems there is nothing to do. I mean, when you take out the low quality nightlife, downtown, and parks, what is there to do? I've been to Six flags six times already. I've never been to SeaWorld here but I've heard it was pretty wack. Parks are lame to me. The riverwalk is overrated. What exactly does anyone do for fun around this city besides clubbing and smoking weed?
Drive outside the city into the hill country, the wine country, fishing, boating, the beach, hiking, geocaching, camping, The Alamo, yadda yadda yadda.

We've been here a year, and haven't barely scratched the surface of things to do in San Antonio and the surrounding areas.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
There's Fredericksburg, the roadways in the Hill Country, New Braunfels and Schlitterbahn, etc. Last I looked, cities and life doesn't exist to entertain us - it's up to us to create it.
For me, that means gun shows, shooting at the range, ridin' the Harley through the hills, fishing w/the grandkids, BBQ's here or w/friends, etc. When you let someone else create your entertainment, you also create your own walls and barriers.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:00 AM

87 posts, read 330,668 times
Approach your query from a different angle: What do you WANT to do?

What are your interests? What new thing do you want to try? Look beyond the obvious, right-there-in-the-open options. Some activities require a bit of hunting to find.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:22 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Ok. I like everyone's responses so far but a lot of you are suggesting hunting? Let me establish the fact that I'm black. We do NOT hunt. Lol. For entertainment purposes or to eat. We buy our food at the grocery store.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:37 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Seaworld is "wack"?? Maybe it is just me but I can watch those shows endlessly and they take on a whole new meaning once you have the beer stand locations memorized!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Paraphrase "When you take away all the fun stuff, what is there left to do?"

For starters, Beer Rally at Main Plaza today. Oops, that's downtown. Tons of art showings. Oops, also mostly downtown/southtown. Poetry events. Ooops, downtown again. Nature walk on the Mission Reach of the Riverwalk. Oops, riverwalk, parks. Can't tolerate those. Bike ride on Mission trail. Ooops, ditto. Every restaurant in Southtown. ooops, downtown.French Festival (Feb 27-Mar 31). Next month is the Dognowity Hill Pushcart Derby.

I kind of wish there was nothing to do some weekends, I'd like to have a rest without feeling like I'm missing out on tons of fun.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:49 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Like I've said a hundred times before, if you're bored in San Antonio then maybe it isn't the city that's to blame!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 AM

374 posts, read 982,884 times
Many of the small towns up and down 281 are full of antique shops. Wimberely will be starting up the market days again the first weekend in March and that will take you a whole day to walk thru. Boerne and Gruene both have market days but also have great main-street stores to explore. Mason has blue topaz hunting. Out east you have Round Top with it's antique shows. Above all, the state parks and hiking were always a pleasure - Lost Maples, Guadalupe, Pedernales Falls, Government Canyon, etc.

I also recommend Fredericksburg for it's main street shopping and dining!

Market Days - Wimberley, Texas - Lions Club - Visit our Outdoor Market in Wimberley
Marburger Farm Antique Show :: Roundtop Texas :: National Antique Dealers
Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Welcome
The City of Fredericksburg, Texas Official Web Site
Historic Gruene Texas
Topaz & Arrow Heads

Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,732 times
@allenk893 I totally sympathize with your issue. This city can get really boring really quick if you do not have a group of friends to help keep you entertained.

After you have hit all the touristy spots (if they even appeal to you) the entertainment is pretty sparse.

This isn't a city for young black professionals, unless maybe you are raising a family. While I enjoy outdoor activities like fishing, canoeing and camping these aren't activities I do day in and day out. Most people suggest parks and what not for things to do, while that is refreshing and a great chance to reconnect with nature it just isn't the same.

Live music here is pretty non-existent if you are into R&B, neosoul, hip hop, and jazz. There are however a couple of thriving spoken word venues, both featuring some really good talent. You have 2nd Verse (2nd Friday of every month) located at Continental Cafe over on the east side near Ft. Sam Houston and also Soul Sessions held in Tost Bistro every Thursday evening which is north central. There are black clubs here, but the variety is lacking.

There is a large cultural adjustment to make moving here. The black population is rather small and it's reflected in all aspects of entertainment. There are a few small (I mean it when I say small and few) festivals throughout the year...

I would check out the two spoken word spots listed above if poetry is your thing. If not, you still may want to come and socialize and see where and what other black people are doing in the city. You HAVE to absolutely network here to find things to do, as they are far and few in between. You have the Carver Cultural Center as well, they have some really good performers there. Grammy winner Esperanza Spalding was there last year (if you are into jazz), the great Savion Glover stopped through and many other great shows take place here...the Carver Center is a definite jewel. I don't know your gender or age, but check out Meetup.com for some groups specifically geared toward black people.

Sneaker Palooza is coming up on March 13th over at the Witte. If you like hip hop the consummate performer/lyricist Talib Kweli will be in attendance. There will be a b-boy/b-girl competition as well, so throw on your Adidas track suit and practice your uprock .

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio