Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times

Advertisements

NuStar ranks pretty high as one of the best companies to work for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,455 times
Default Jobs in SA

I am moving back to SA as fast as possible. I took a job in Ohio, for almost twice what I was offered in San Antonio for the same job. Cold weather, high taxes, and food that costs a lot more (cheap loaf of bread $1.00), certainly offset the higher wage. If people are complaining about how the city is not bringing in enough companies that pay the higher wages, what is their solution to bringing them in. Companies will move to where it makes the most sense economically. If we don't have a base of people with enough education, whose fault is that? It is not the cities.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 AM

The taxes are pretty much the same throughout the state, the cost of food is about the same, and the weather is pretty much the same. If I decide on law enforcement, APD pays $16,000 more than SAPD after the probationary period. I think the only major difference is that the median home price is higher in Austin. I wouldn't pay an extra $16,000 a year though on rent, so I would end up coming out ahead.

You are right. Employers who need educated people go where the educated people are.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM

81 posts, read 218,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The taxes are pretty much the same throughout the state, the cost of food is about the same, and the weather is pretty much the same. If I decide on law enforcement, APD pays $16,000 more than SAPD after the probationary period. I think the only major difference is that the median home price is higher in Austin. I wouldn't pay an extra $16,000 a year though on rent, so I would end up coming out ahead.

You are right. Employers who need educated people go where the educated people are.

When comparing Austin to San Antonio, you are wrong to believe housing is the only thing you will pay more for in Austin. The COI is 91 in Austin and 77 in San Antonio, over 15% higher. Everything from gas to food is more expensive.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 05:04 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 07:40 PM

There is a one point difference for food costs. Housing makes up most of the difference. It's still cheaper to live in Austin than the national average. I highly doubt I would spend $16,000 more a year just to live in Austin.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:01 PM

According to this list from May 2010, there is only a one point difference overall.

Kiplinger.com

According to Bankrate (which uses ACCRA), there isn't even a 1% difference in cost of living.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
According to this list from May 2010, there is only a one point difference overall.

Kiplinger.com

According to Bankrate (which uses ACCRA), there isn't even a 1% difference in cost of living.

You can shop it and someone will always have a spin to reinforce your opinion. I do not believe there is a one-point difference between San Antonio and Austin. Bankrate shows San Antonio cheaper in the majority of cases. The instances they do not, in most cases, are probably the result of faulty data or computational errors. Examples are housing cost 10% more, homes and apartments, in San Antonio or a man’s shirt costing over 50% in San Antonio. The mistakes are the cause of the misleading COI results. It is a well-known fact Austin is the most expensive major city in Texas and it is not just housing.[/SIZE]

Old 03-26-2011, 01:22 AM

From the Kiplinger website, it listed these as the sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau, The Martin Prosperity Institute. I'm still trying to find the source for the Cost of Living website you posted. ACCRA is pretty much the only reputable place one can get a cost of living index. The federal government has the consumer price index, but only specifically provides information for several cities and the information does not include housing. San Antonio and Austin are not specifically listed.

Cost of Living Index - Federal, ACCRA

As far as housing costs, one would have to find a site that compares comparable houses. The median home price is much lower in San Antonio, but it doesn't tell you whether or not San Antonians are opting for cheaper homes or that they can't afford more expensive homes. With a 20 point difference in the percentage of people with bachelor degrees, I would assume that many San Antonians have to buy cheaper houses.

San Antonio's median household income in 2009 was $43,087. Austin's median income in 2009 was $50,236. That is over a 16% difference. I used Pay Scale's cost of living calculator and it also said there would be an overall 0% change in cost of living.

San Antonio city, Texas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Austin city, Texas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

The differences are greater when looking at median family incomes and income per capita which are 23% and 40% respectively.

Last edited by L210; 03-26-2011 at 01:33 AM..

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
From the Kiplinger website, it listed these as the sources: Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Census Bureau, The Martin Prosperity Institute. I'm still trying to find the source for the Cost of Living website you posted. ACCRA is pretty much the only reputable place one can get a cost of living index. The federal government has the consumer price index, but only specifically provides information for several cities and the information does not include housing. San Antonio and Austin are not specifically listed.

Cost of Living Index - Federal, ACCRA

As far as housing costs, one would have to find a site that compares comparable houses. The median home price is much lower in San Antonio, but it doesn't tell you whether or not San Antonians are opting for cheaper homes or that they can't afford more expensive homes. With a 20 point difference in the percentage of people with bachelor degrees, I would assume that many San Antonians have to buy cheaper houses.

San Antonio's median household income in 2009 was $43,087. Austin's median income in 2009 was $50,236. That is over a 16% difference. I used Pay Scale's cost of living calculator and it also said there would be an overall 0% change in cost of living.

San Antonio city, Texas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Austin city, Texas - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

The differences are greater when looking at median family incomes and income per capita which are 23% and 40% respectively.
On the other hand, the data is faulty. You sited Bankrate as using ACCRA, well the housing and clothing data is from the Bankrate calculator.

I build houses in Houston and before starting my company, I worked for a large regional builder here. They build in all major Texas markets and the price of homes is more in Austin. Same plan, same standard features... just more, period.

From your comments, I believe it is also your opinion San Antonio has a inferior stock of housing.

This is what I believe, if this is the type of data being using to rank Austin many of high poll rankings are also wrong.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:13 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I do not trust those calculators. They said it was about the same living in Canton, Ohio as it was to live in Virginia Beach, VA. HAHA! Yeah right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio