Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 12:46 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times

Advertisements

Fiesta will keep you plenty busy for 2 weeks. Even if you aren't a drinker, there are tons of events to choose from. If you can't find anything to do during Fiesta, I don't know what else to tell you.

Oh...and don't forget First Friday art walk in Southtown every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 12:55 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Take up the shooting sports - there are matches galore each weekend around the area. If that isn't in your repertoire as you come from a nonshooting sport area, like NYC, then watch Seinfeld reruns.

Now, I can say this with a grin as a bit of personal history.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM

27 posts, read 39,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Do you have children? If not, the hubby and I are in the same boat!
We don't watch any type of sports or go to Fiesta events or pool or sports bars but we keep ourselves busy with other activities that catch our eye.
We filled our days with doggie related activities and also continuing education (he is studying for a computer certification and I'm taking accounting classes).
Many cool groups on Meetup.com on whatever your interests are. I'm in Amigas in the City and San Antonio Professionals and the Arts plus I have a small dog group on Facebook. The Amigas are always coming up with new and unique events to go out to.
If you can't find it, make it! (That's what I did with a small dog meetup group!)
I've tried meet ups before and I've never really clicked with the people in the groups. If texas is where we will be I will start school. Maybe I'll try meet ups again.

To whoever said I need to google..Im sure 85% of the people on this site LEARNED about this site from google...

I do have children yes but im not worried about doing family friendly things with them. I work with kids, I looking to doing some relaxing, yet interesting things with my husband. We are NOT bar people the closes we will get to a bar is one at a nice resturant and even then we sit at a booth. We like going site-seeing, comedy clubs, coffee shops uptown urban type of person.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Ok, I'm from New England originally. Fiesta is nothing more than a crowd of fat drunks pushing up against each other. Go to an art walk on Tobin Hill on Second Friday or First Friday on King William. Chain restaurants can get depressing. St. Mary's has a few funky bars and restaurants. Riverwalk=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Gruene, Fredericksburg, SPI, Houston, DFW, Lost Maples, wake up and GET OUT OF SA FOR A WEEKEND!!!!!!! It's a bunch of cookie cutter suburbs rolled into one, but it's in as great location!

Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,623,472 times
Take a day trip and check out Kerrville and Fredericksburg if you already haven't both are quaint Hill Country towns not to far from SA and have quaint shops and restaurants another town to check out is Wimberley it's smaller than Fredericks but but also a nice little town with shops and restaurants. Corpus Christi is close enough to San Antonio to go for the weekend take your kids to the beach.

Fredericksburg Texas Convention and Visitor Bureau Events, Lodging and Activities

Kerrville Convention and Visitors Bureau

Welcome to Wimberley

Last edited by bgrn198; 04-06-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 07:29 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam143 View Post
I've tried meet ups before and I've never really clicked with the people in the groups. If texas is where we will be I will start school. Maybe I'll try meet ups again.
Keep trying different groups and different events within the same group especially if you see different folks attending on the RSVP. Check out their profiles for those attending beforehand and see if there's a nugget of info. that help you find common interests with others. It does take a while...hope you find a group you like!
There's also Women Of WoW which is more of a Junior League type of organization.
Good luck!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:21 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Here's the bottom line - if you don't like what's in the area - it isn't for you. I grew up in high concentrated urban but live here now. I found things to do. I know folks who live in Alamo Heights are are terrified to go anywhere outside of the Heights. Damn, there are Texans out there.

Yes, you can't ski 45 minutes away. So what, adapt or just be miserable.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:39 AM

168 posts, read 530,107 times
I feel you. It gets boring to me too. Check out that show "Daytripper", I think with Chet Garner...you can watch on web too. He shows you all the places you could go in a day around Texas. We've gotten a few good ideas off there. Prayer Mountain was cool outside Wimberley as in a lil thing to check out. Not too hard to get up there. And free, and can do with the kids.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:44 AM

168 posts, read 530,107 times
PS- a cool lil thing you can do is look up wherever you're thinkin about goin on Youtube, cause it seems like most places someone has went and posted a video of, so you can see what it's like to decide if you even think worth it. Very cool.

Old 04-07-2011, 12:03 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam143 View Post
I do have children yes but im not worried about doing family friendly things with them. I work with kids, I looking to doing some relaxing, yet interesting things with my husband. We are NOT bar people the closes we will get to a bar is one at a nice resturant and even then we sit at a booth. We like going site-seeing, comedy clubs, coffee shops uptown urban type of person.
Then get to the uptown urban area. Pick up a Current to find out what's going on. There is always so much happening every weekend - and midweek - it's overwhelming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio