Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,348 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from Manhattan about a month ago. When I got to San Antonio I was excited to live in a new city. As time is going by, I'm feeling very much out of place here. I long for New York, I never thought it was going to be like this. Everything is so different,the people, the buildings, the transportation. I still haven't gotten used to not been able to walk everywhere I want, as I please. I hate the fact that you need a car here for pretty much everything. I have tried using public transportation, but it is nowhere comparable to NY public transportation. The people are so different.. the buses are always packed and they take forever to get to your location. I miss the subway system, it was packed as well too, but at least you got to your destination faster. One last thing..is there anything else besides a car that I can use to get around? Is a bus the only option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 05:15 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
Suburbia = car. Is this the first time you have moved out of state? That is always a difficult adjustment no matter where you move from/to.
While there may be things you gave up when you left the big city, look for the things that you gain here.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:22 PM

Yes it's my first time.. I love New York, but I had to move here because I wanted to be closer to my family. San Antonio is lovely, dont get me wrong, it's just so different. I'm really not used to driving, maybe that's the thing, but the bus is just impossible. I have been trying getting used to the city, but I'm having a hard time.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:28 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
Do you have a car? If so, it really is your best bet. Not sure what area you live in or work in.

Yes, there are great things about San Antonio. I don't blame you about the bus. I am originally from NY, and though I've been in the south for over 35 years I still recall the transportation here vs there.

Each week try to find one thing thats a new plus to living here. It will make the stuff you gave up easier to take.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:33 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,864 times
Did you ever come to San Antonio before you moved here to scope out the area? We moved from NY 3 years ago but had visited many times before we decided to make the move.

Give it a little time to get to know San Antonio, the people and the diversity of the city and I hope you will come to love it as much as I do. Yes, I do understand how you may miss mass transit. A car is generally needed here to get around.

Even though we are in a drought, it is still nice to get up most days and see the sun shining. Something I didn't see in NY. Be patient

Old 05-06-2011, 05:42 PM

Hi thank you for the responses! I live in the san pedro hills area and work near the medical center. When I was in new york I never was in need of a car... When I moved down here I realized that it was going to be impossible to move around in the bus, so I decided to lease one. The thing now is getting used to the huge streets and well DRIVING..LOL. I never came down here, before moving here. Maybe that was my mistake, i just thought i was going to be ok, afterall I was going to be closer to my family, but I was wrong. I love the people here.. I guess i just need to give it some more time. I'm just scared to have a car accident..driving makes me nervous. It's really hard for me getting used to the whole driving thing, and when I'm off from work I try using the bus to kind of get used to it, but it's no use. I've alrady gotten lost twice and the bus drivers are no help.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 PM

434 posts, read 1,123,864 times
I found I could not live without a GPS. It has gotten me where I needed to go. So my advise to you is if you don't have one, purchase one. Venture out on your days off. There is so much to see and do!

Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
There's no getting used to our buses...unless you get used to seeing them through your windshield as you drive past I've lived here most of my life and I can't get around town on our buses...for example, if I wanted to go somewhere that takes 15 minutes by car, it takes three hours on the bus.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:28 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
SA isn't Manhattan and it never will be. This place is 180 out. I've lived in DC and there are similar discrepancies between the two. You are just going to have to grind through this and adjust. It can be done! There are some serious upsides to living here over Manhattan...not the least of which is that the people are friendlier. Think of this as a different country. You will do fine.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_ny_mack View Post
I'm just scared to have a car accident..driving makes me nervous. It's really hard for me getting used to the whole driving thing, and when I'm off from work I try using the bus to kind of get used to it, but it's no use. I've alrady gotten lost twice and the bus drivers are no help.
I would suggest becoming acquainted with driving during non rush hour traffic times to ease the nerves. Too many drivers get nervous out there and don't want to cause an accident but cause one because of the nervousness! GPS is a good tool...much better than Google Maps or Mapquest at time because sometimes the streets cut off and the map doesn't show it. From my experience, GPS is much more reliable. The bus can be helpful only if you're using one bus route...say Deco District to Medical Center for example. Bus drivers assume that either you're local or have already used the route planner map online from my experience.
A month is still very new...I'm sure you'll acclimate slowly but surely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio