Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:27 PM

314 posts, read 2,539,544 times

Advertisements

This thread is to post fun road trips with activities. They start in San Antonio, and return to San Antonio in 4 - 7 hours.

FREDRICKSBURG

I had to post this thread after the amazing afternoon drive I went on today. I went alone, only because the wife and kids are on vacation, and I was bored.

I left the house at 2:30pm with a plan. Drive to Fredricksburg, eat at Porkey's Hamburgers, and improvise (see the country) on the way home.

I drove past Boerne Stage Rd (I-10 West) for the first time since moving here 16 months ago. At Comfort, I took Highway 87 north, 22 miles to Fredricksburg. I pretty much had the road to myself, which was good, because I had a hard time staying in my lane while admiring the beautiful hill country. I arrived in Fredricksburg at 3:50pm. (1 hour, 20 minutes)

I heard Fredricksburg was a romantic, Bread and breakfast, shopping town, which really did not appeal to me, since we have children, but no babysitter. But I fell in love with Main Street. Historical buildings side by side for a mile, with charming shops and restaurants everywhere! There were lots and lots of people walking around the city, and they all looked excited to be there.

I arrived at Porkey's Hamburgers at 4pm. Unbeknownst to me, they close at 4pm on Saturdays, but they allowed me to be the final customer of the day. LUCKY ME!! Seriously, it was "THE" best bacon cheeseburger I've ever had ("The Porkey's Special").

After my early dinner, it was on to improvising. So I drove around town, and ended up at the visitors center. I grabbed a few brochures, and watched the Fredricksburg video. I then hit the road back towards home at 5pm. (1 hour, 10 minutes in Fredricksburg.)

Since I had never driven past Boerne Stage Rd, I had never driven through Boerne. So I took the Highway 87 business loop thru Boerne. Nice town, and I loved the Cibolo creek bridge area. I then hopped on the 10 for a minute before jumping back off to take the Scenic Loop Rd towards home. It was also a nice drive, but I was absolutely captivated thru Grey Forest! WOW, that little town is so mystical!! The forest was so thick, that it covered the road, blocking out the sun. The cottages along the road must have come out of some fairy tail. I can't wait to take the kids thru there after reading them Hansel and Gretel.

Scenic Loop took me to Helotes, from which I made my way home near Seaworld at around 7:20pm. (2 hours, 20 minutes driving home.)

The whole trip was just short of 5 hours, but it was SOOO GREAT!!

Note: If you replicate this trip, Porkeys is open 11-8pm Thursdays and Fridays, and 11-4pm the rest of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 08:52 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Next time, leave Fbg on 290, and take a right on some other road (there is a convenience store there called Stagecoach Stop--where you take the right), and come home through Luckenbach. Yes, Waylon and Willie and the boys' Luckenbach, TX. Don't blink, you'll miss it, but you can stop and have a beer and throw some horseshoes, and the drive home is great! Just google the trip--it's a "must-do."

Old 08-04-2007, 08:55 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,257 times
Thanks for sharing! We'll do this trip soon! Would tommorow but we are going to watch the Cowboys after church. I have heard about Porky's! My huby loves a good burger so it's on out to-do list, for sure!

Old 08-04-2007, 08:58 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,223,627 times
What a lovely post. I'm glad you had such a wonderful scenic trip.

Old 08-04-2007, 09:06 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
If any of you are pie lovers, here's a nice little trip for you. Head up 281 north all the way to Marble Falls. Once you cross over the river and into town, there is a place on the right called Bluebonnet Cafe. They make the best pie ever. Their food is pretty good, too! (The view coming across the bridge is really awesome, too!)

Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,257 times
Yep! I'm going ot have to dothis drive, too! We try to avoid dessert, but homemade pie? It's worth every calorie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,568 times
Go up Hwy 281 North to Johnson City. There you can visit where LBJ grew up. Take 290 West to the LBJ National Historical Park - Ranch Unit. LBJ and Ladybird should be resting there together now. Continue West to Stonewall for some good fruit preserves at the side of the highway. You can continue West to Fredericksburg, then take 87 South to I10 and back East to San Antonio.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 AM

314 posts, read 2,539,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Go up Hwy 281 North to Johnson City. There you can visit where LBJ grew up. Take 290 West to the LBJ National Historical Park - Ranch Unit. LBJ and Ladybird should be resting there together now.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Next time, leave Fbg on 290, and take a right on some other road (there is a convenience store there called Stagecoach Stop--where you take the right), and come home through Luckenbach. Yes, Waylon and Willie and the boys' Luckenbach, TX. Don't blink, you'll miss it....
OK, I mapped out my next afternoon drive combining Steel Man and Sapphire's suggestions. It is 163 miles round trip, and about 4 hours, and 50 minutes.

LBJ NATIONAL HISTORICAL PARK

Taking 281 to Johnson city, is 71 miles (1 hour, 25 minutes). Stop somewhere to eat (45 minutes, any suggestions?), then drive another 14 miles to LBJ National Historical Park - Ranch Unit, on Highway 290 West. Spend about 1 hour at the Park (is that enough time?). Then proceed West on 290 to Highway 1376 South, which takes you thru Luckenbach, and back to I-10. It's 78 miles home from LBJ National Hist. Park (1 hour, 26 minutes).

I'll have to wait for the wife and kids to get back from their vacation before attempting this drive, unless I get really bored again.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 AM

81 posts, read 332,552 times
Yee ha and I get to move to Fredericksburg soon. I've only been able to spend a day there once. Looking forward to getting back to check things out this week. And I guess I'll be going to Porkey's.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,275 times
My favorite drive is SH 16 (Bandera Road) up through Bandera and turn onto FM 3--? in Medina all the way to Vanderpool... then turn around and come back. I think this area has the prettiest hills in all of the Hill Country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio