Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times

Advertisements

If that's the case, then why aren't these people successfully suing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,514 times
The people/towns that are highlighted in the movie are from poor, rural areas seriously in the middle of nowhere that are facing huge powerful gas/oil companies. Yes, it brings in money, jobs, etc but at a serious cost. When I watched the movie it didn't seem like scare tactics to me. But apparently to some it did. I highly suggest watching it. I saw it randomally one day on KLRN, but you could most likely get it from Netflix. Redbox won't have it. Or watch clips on youtube such as this one:

YouTube - ‪GASLAND Trailer 2010‬‏

Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM

And as far as the EPA is concerned at one point in time they said DDT was okay and we all know how that turned out. You can still find that junk in the soil and it has been outlawed since the mid 70's!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:24 PM

DDT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry forgot the link

Old 06-13-2011, 05:51 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default Effects long term?

IF the E.P.A. says it is OK I guess it is alright?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Let us hope our environment does not become irreparably harmed. It will be harmed to some degree nonetheless since people cannot resist being lured by the economic incentive but once the industry moves on it will be our (native South Texan) heritage that will have been destroyed. This of course is hapenning in other places as well besides South Texas so hopefully there will be a collective effort to counter the harmful effects of fracking.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Now that we have the loser pays law in place, very few people are going to want to go up against the oil companies and their high dollar legal teams.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth. Great documentary. There is a part in the doc where people are lighting their water on fire due to high levels of methane. Come to find out these huge fracking towers are already in place around the Ft. Worth area. My sister tried it at her place up there and sure enough her tap water caught fire. Point being how is that beneficial to our community if the water is contaminated? Furthermore, I am not quite sure how towns in that movie that were full of cancer patients/victims due to fracking is considered a scare tactic???
Except gasland was not true.

New Ledger » Gasland’s False Fire Water Claims

Now it is possible for gas to escape a bad well casing and get into the water supply, but it is extremely unlikely that would happen because of fracking. And they have been doing fracking for decades...

Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
And as far as the EPA is concerned at one point in time they said DDT was okay and we all know how that turned out. You can still find that junk in the soil and it has been outlawed since the mid 70's!
OF course DDT was made out to be far worse that it was.

The ban of DDT caused millions to die from malaria. That is good right?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:18 AM

Well shoot if T. Boone Pickens (who is already making alot of money of fracking along with other multi-billion dollar oil/gas companies) says that fracking and natural gas is okay then now I can soundly say I trust this in SA. But I don't. Surely Pickens wouldn't tell the American public fracking is okay when he is making money behind the scenes? My questions is have you seen the movie or did you just google for an article questioning Gasland's claims? Yes methane is natural and found all over the world. However, the alarming rates at which it is found in drinking water in some areas is extremely high. I am sorry but tap water is not supposed to be flammable. And you are right they have been fracking for numerous decades, but just recently did they start to discover the environmental/health effects this has on animals and people. The same way the did with DDT which was not blown out of proportion when you look at it's effect worldwide. I agree with leessening our dependence on oil and such, but I do not agree with this practice being brought to South Texas. Not to mention those towers are eyesores. They're everywhere in North Texas. It'll definitely take the "rural" out of places south of Somerset.
Hydraulic fracturing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Flamable tap water has been around for decades,linked to pockets of gas underground leaking into water reservoirs way before fracking was ever invented; now that it has, it's a target for this phenomena.
For the most part land from Dilley south to the border is barren land, not even sutible for cattle because of the heat and low underground water reservoirs and is used primarly for hunting, big game hunting where hunting leases known worldwide go for big bucks; now these ranch owners, who for the most part don't live in that area, are leasing or have leased to oil companies.
The oil has been known to be down there for decades,not extractable because of the shale formation, but until the fracking process which is relatively new, the oil now can be extracted.
This is wonderful for South Texas including San Antonio as it's producing many jobs, commerce for the area. Many oil companies are already setting up offices here in town promoting many jobs. Ex., Chesapeake Energy has set up an office of of IH 10 and Huebner area, now starting to contract with smaller local oil companies in S.A., shipping companies, construction pipeline companies, contracting with vendors here to set up housing in South Texas towns to house their employees, etc.... The trickle down effect keeps going and going and going......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio