Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:44 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times

Advertisements

When is SA going to honor ot most famous movie star -Joan Crawford. I believe the movie star was born in the St. Paul Sqaure area of San Antonio. There is not even a plaque to honor her anywhere in this city. The same could be said for Carol Burnet. They could at least name a street after them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 07:34 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
The house Carol Burnet grew up in was recently moved to a new location. She was offered the house and refused it. She did not have a happy childhood and wants to forget her growing up years. She lived with her Grandmother here in that house and does have happy memories of it. She likes SA, but not that house and does not want her memories of growing up perpetuated.
I don't know about Joan Crawford.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 AM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
My half brother and Carol Burnet's mothers were best friends and both moms moved out to California. They were drinking buddies. Carol's grandmother brought Carol and my brother back to SA on rail one year. My dad and mom met them at the railroad depot.
My brother lived here half the time and the other half in California. He got married and has lived in San Diego ever since.

As far as Carol is concerned I would think living in SA would be happy memories vs. early Calif. memories, I know that is the way my brother sees it, except maybe for school. He was the California kid and didn't fit in, he was bounced back and forth.

Here are a couple of pics of Joan Crawford on tour in Dallas with Hoblitzelle's Interstate Theatre Circuit Office.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ieCrawford.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...awfordwHob.jpg

Last edited by gy2020; 04-06-2008 at 08:04 AM..

Old 04-06-2008, 07:53 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Crawford, IMO, is much more of a legendary star than Burnett: Maybe I'm only saying that because I am obsessed with 'Baby Jane' and the rest of the shlock-o-riffic films she did.

Now, I'd easily say that Burnett was more connected to her audience, as she came into people's homes on a weekly basis.

In any event: They're both impressive women... And they both deserve SA recognition.

BN

Old 04-06-2008, 09:29 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,026,285 times
You rarely hear about celebs that were born in SA. The celebs your hear about in SA are those that live here: Eva, Tony, George, Tim, Tommy, etc.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:09 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
We should write to city hall but they are so busy thinking about toll roads. Crawford and Burnet at least the city could name a street after them

Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 PM

73 posts, read 123,412 times
Honor them? For what? Simply being born here? Come on, what have those two ever done for San Antonio? Exactly, nothing.

Why doesn't Cole High School rename themselves to Shaquille O'Neal High School while we're at it. I mean, he lived here for a few years and went there...

Old 04-08-2008, 12:14 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,776,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
You rarely hear about celebs that were born in SA. The celebs your hear about in SA are those that live here: Eva, Tony, George, Tim, Tommy, etc.
who's Tim?
thx

Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,776,315 times
Did they find any hairbrushes or hangers in Joan Crawford's house?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:42 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradyFan View Post
Honor them? For what? Simply being born here? Come on, what have those two ever done for San Antonio? Exactly, nothing.

Why doesn't Cole High School rename themselves to Shaquille O'Neal High School while we're at it. I mean, he lived here for a few years and went there...
Exactly. Those stars did not honor our city and we should not honor them. Our city usually has had some collective desire to have a claim to fame in Hollywood and the like but we should let it go and highlight our best features instead of imagining ones that do not exist.

No more wire hangers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio