Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:30 PM

12 posts, read 84,655 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am an international student, from far away country, and I am moving to Texas to complete my graduate study.

Yet, I have three options:
UTSA: San Antonio
Texas State: San Marcos
Lamar: Beaumont

I am mostly concern about racism and how dangerous is the city.

I heard a lot about Texas, and I am afraid that I will get stacked in the worst part of it.

Where is the safest place of these three cities, and Where is the more accepted for forigner?

I appreciate your help.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:54 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Racism is not bad in the whole state of Texas, but if I had to choose one part to stay away from, it would be East Texas which is where Beaumont is located. I also heard that Beaumont has a high crime rate, but I don't know that as fact. San Antonio is a big city, so it has big city crime. There are plenty of parts in the city that are fairly safe, though. I don't know much about San Marcos, but I could imagine that it's the safest out of three and maybe the least ethnically diverse.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:11 AM
JNA

243 posts, read 735,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Damn_ View Post
Hi guys,

I am an international student, from far away country, and I am moving to Texas to complete my graduate study.

Yet, I have three options:
UTSA: San Antonio
Texas State: San Marcos
Lamar: Beaumont

I am mostly concern about racism and how dangerous is the city.

I heard a lot about Texas, and I am afraid that I will get stacked in the worst part of it.

Where is the safest place of these three cities, and Where is the more accepted for forigner?

I appreciate your help.
San Marcos as a whole is probably the safest of the three. As far as San Antonio, though fairly safe for a larger city, it has areas best avoided like most larger cities.

Fortunately for you if you choose UTSA, its main campus is located in an area considered very safe. When crime does happen in this part of SA, it is generally property crimes like breaking car windows to grab laptops, etc, that are left visible on a car seat. Most of the higher crime areas in SA are quite distant for the main UTSA campus.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
I'd go with UTSA.

Racism is not as bad here as you might think. It's true that when you go to some small TX towns, you might notice it. People in San Antonio are a lot friendlier than the ones in some of those small towns.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 PM

12 posts, read 84,655 times
Thank you guys for the helpful comments. I learned a lot from your comments.

Best

Old 10-16-2011, 10:00 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,101,439 times
id throw lamar out of it. i doubt you will ever acclimate to that area, i never like heading that way. i actually went to tx state and then transferred to utsa and finished my undergrad there. both are great schools. if you want more to do and a bigger city feel, i would go with san antonio. tx state though, has that college atmosphere vibe although utsa is catching up quickly. both are good schools, just depends what you want more outside your studies.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:10 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,738 times
Eliminate Beaumont, it is not a desirable location for many reasons.

Texas State will provide you a small town feel, large University experience, and proximity to Austin and San Antonio for exploration.

UTSA is still largely a commuter school and has little to offer as far as a campus experience. The academics are okay and you can live in a decent-sized metro area.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 AM

84 posts, read 217,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post

Texas State will provide you a small town feel, large University experience, and proximity to Austin and San Antonio for exploration.

UTSA is still largely a commuter school and has little to offer as far as a campus experience. The academics are okay and you can live in a decent-sized metro area.

You obviously dont know WTF you are talking about. UTSA has as many students that either live on campus, or near it as TSUSM does. Stop trying to belittle UTSA. Its a great U and has a great, great college atmosphere. The commuter crap is way old. I do know one thing............TSUSM students and grads have huge penis envy. I know that for a fact. Every single bit of news UTSA makes in education (Tier 1 goal) or with our football team or athletics, and here comes a kitty cat with the commuter term.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,991 times
TSUSM has a very good international business grad program.
Throw Lamar out of your mix.
UTSA is NOT considered a commuter school like it was in the 80's.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

84 posts, read 217,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
TSUSM has a very good international business grad program.
Throw Lamar out of your mix.
UTSA is NOT considered a commuter school like it was in the 80's.

Thanks............I didnt mean to go off, but a little respect goes a long way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio