Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:00 AM

546 posts, read 1,500,064 times

Advertisements

i seriously lol'd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 AM

74 posts, read 148,756 times
yes, was sleeping, woke up, then went back to sleep. im from california, used to quakes, and as long as its a small shake your safe..lol.

the scary ones are when they start out shaking lightly...then get violent. luckily this one shook lightly and stopped, always good

Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM

258 posts, read 323,836 times
Default 4.8 earthquake felt in the sa area

It's been upgraded to a 4.8 per the USGS.GOV site who monitors earthquakes. This reading would be a record for our area in terms of the strongest felt thus far. Looking at the various comments out there on media outlets it appears that a huge area felt it. Reports of chairs moving and buildings swaying we sporadic in the Medical Center area and downtown SA area. I would imagine that there will be some damage to structures closer to the epicenter. This quake was I believe the same size of the DC area quake that hit recently!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 AM

78 posts, read 199,486 times
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/313434_2324828952427_1000729696_32368267_109088000 3_n.jpg (broken link)

Never forget.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-20-2011 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted pictures require links only

Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM

11 posts, read 15,570 times
Strongest one I have ever experienced. I thought was having a dizzy spell.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:19 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,610 times
slept right through it (or didn't feel it on the far westside). dogs didn't feel it either. but having lived in an earthquake prone area, i think i also learned to sleep through benign waves

i'm enjoying these news reports, hehehe.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,584 times
I was not aware that we were in a seismically active region, although technically no part of the Earth is really ever inactive. I'm sure there is a geology aficionado somewhere on this board so would you mind explaining what is going on.

What fault caused this event and what type is it?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ault_types.png

What is the seismic history of this region? Was there ever a big one?

I did not feel a thing even though I am very familiar with lots of small ones having lived in the San Francisco Bay area for almost a decade. Does sitting on a big chunk of limestone out here north of 1604 buffer you from seismic wave effects? I'm thinking this would be the opposite effect of the great damage caused by the 1985 Mexico City earthquake due to the ancient soft lake bed the city was built on.

Anyway, I could research all these things, but I'm hoping there is a knowledgeable person out there who wouldn't mind sharing with me/us.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
78209 here, up since 6am, felt exactly nothing

Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffutsa2001 View Post
It's been upgraded to a 4.8 per the USGS.GOV site who monitors earthquakes. This reading would be a record for our area in terms of the strongest felt thus far. Looking at the various comments out there on media outlets it appears that a huge area felt it. Reports of chairs moving and buildings swaying we sporadic in the Medical Center area and downtown SA area. I would imagine that there will be some damage to structures closer to the epicenter. This quake was I believe the same size of the DC area quake that hit recently!
lol a 4.8 isnt going to cause much damage. maybe a few knocked over chairs, MAYBE some damage to older foundations, but that would be it. we have building codes for a reason

Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 PM

78 posts, read 199,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
I was not aware that we were in a seismically active region, although technically no part of the Earth is really ever inactive. I'm sure there is a geology aficionado somewhere on this board so would you mind explaining what is going on.

What fault caused this event and what type is it?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ault_types.png

What is the seismic history of this region? Was there ever a big one?

I did not feel a thing even though I am very familiar with lots of small ones having lived in the San Francisco Bay area for almost a decade. Does sitting on a big chunk of limestone out here north of 1604 buffer you from seismic wave effects? I'm thinking this would be the opposite effect of the great damage caused by the 1985 Mexico City earthquake due to the ancient soft lake bed the city was built on.

Anyway, I could research all these things, but I'm hoping there is a knowledgeable person out there who wouldn't mind sharing with me/us.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Historically, an earthquake this large is rare for the region. Some are attributing this event to deep injection wells from the Eagle ford.

We have the Balcones Escarpment:
Balcones Fault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also believe there is an outcrop of the Edwards around Falls City. Not sure if it is active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio