Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:25 AM

3 posts, read 67,799 times

Advertisements

My daughter is only 2 years old, but we're already researching the school system since we hear some schools have lengthy waiting lists. For a myriad of reasons, we're leaning towards private education. Which schools are considered the top private schools in San Antonio? Strong academics is our #1 requirement and would consider a Christian school if the academics are very strong. I've heard a lot of good things about Keystone, but beyond that I don't have a good grasp on the good private schools in San Antonio. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 12:43 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Unless you live in SAISD you honestly don't need a private school, but beyond that St. Mary's Hall is one of the most prestigious in San Antonio, along with Keystone. Also available is AHISD for a fee if you live out of district.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
Avoid St Mary's Hall like the plague. I speak from experience here.

Keystone is wonderful, and I have also heard good things about Judson Montessori. For a child as young as yours, there are also some good choices like St. Luke's and St. George Episcopal, which only go through 8th grade, plus there are a variety of good Catholic schools as well. For preschool there is the Circle School and Acorn, which have very devoted followers.

If you want strong academics, Keystone is your best bet. They were recently named the number one Advanced Placement program school IN THE WORLD. My sibling went there and was very happy, plus got one of the best educations available.

Keystone AP Program Best in the World (http://www.keystoneschool.org/news/AP_Best.asp - broken link)

Old 07-31-2007, 07:18 AM

112 posts, read 365,942 times
Why avoid St. Mary's Hall. You're the first person I've heard say that.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I sent you a PM, but the short version is avoid it like the plague unless you want your child steeping in an atmosphere of entitlement, overconsumption as competition, and mediocre academics.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
We were in Northside ISD and that left a lot to be desired so we went over to St. George and loved the place. We moved so this school year will be in the Austin area but St. George is very good, Trinity United Methodist is also very good, really small but very good.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 67,799 times
Thanks so much for all the recommendations...please keep them going! I was surprised to know that school districts accept out-of -districts students for a fee. I did contact AHISD and they confirm that they do this. So...if we do ultimately decide to go public, is the AHISD district far superior than the NEISD? We live off of Bulverde and 1604, so my daughter would go to Longs Creek Elementary School, if she were to go to public. Would it be worth it to schlep her all the way to Alamo Heights if we go the public route?

Finally, any other resources out there to compare San Antonio schools?

Thanks so much for all the information. While she is only two, I know that time flies and I would like to have plenty of time to review this information and visit the pertinent schools during the next couple of years. Also, if any of the schools have pre-k programs, we would like to explore those as wells. Thanks!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 AM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
I have heard great things about AHISD for small kids.. There is the Howard Early Childhood Development Center for little children, and then Cambridge and Northridge are the elementary schools. Plus, they are currently spending a ton of money to upgrade all of the facilities. Both the Junior School and the High School are being heavily remodelled right now.

I don't really know much about NEISD, except that people seem to like it a whole lot. You might want to check if any of the schools in your area are capped - I know people who have moved so their child can go to a particular school only to discover that that school is capped. That's terrible.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 AM

874 posts, read 2,892,917 times
You can go to the Great Schools website to see data on test scores, student population, teacher experience, etc. There are other resources, too, but that could be a starting point if you just want to do some beginning comparisons.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt4463 View Post
Thanks so much for all the recommendations...please keep them going! I was surprised to know that school districts accept out-of -districts students for a fee. I did contact AHISD and they confirm that they do this. So...if we do ultimately decide to go public, is the AHISD district far superior than the NEISD? We live off of Bulverde and 1604, so my daughter would go to Longs Creek Elementary School, if she were to go to public. Would it be worth it to schlep her all the way to Alamo Heights if we go the public route?

Finally, any other resources out there to compare San Antonio schools?

Thanks so much for all the information. While she is only two, I know that time flies and I would like to have plenty of time to review this information and visit the pertinent schools during the next couple of years. Also, if any of the schools have pre-k programs, we would like to explore those as wells. Thanks!
By the time your daughter is 5 or 6, there will be new schools near you. NEISD just passed a bond to build 4 new schools, mostly, I believe, between 281 and Judson ISD, N or 1604. So you *may* be in one of those attendance areas.

You do have plenty of time to consider things, and you will know much more about the area and schools when the time comes. If you are considering private, there are plenty of schools in the 1604 corridor. For preschools, there are excellent ones in every area.

For perspective: I have 2 children. One attended a private (Episcopal) school from preschool to 5th. The other has been in public since kinder (going into 3rd). Both were/are excellent. Both kids got what they needed. If I had to do it again? Tough choice...My older child got a wonderful education, and was with some incredible teachers and fellow students. Then again, so is my other child. My SO and I do question whether the 30K+ we spent (K-5) was worth it, though...Our local school (NEISD, outside 1604) is also excellent. And I have told anyone who asked me the same as I am telling you: you cannot go wrong either way. I do not know much about Longs Creek, but I know someone who (student) taught there, and had high praise for it.

It is a subjective thing, I know. What bothers or concerns one parent is inconsequential or a plus to another. I'm not sure if I have helped you, but what I am saying is that you have quite a few GOOD choices (and that can make your decision harder!)

I have been on Great Schools: GreatSchools.net
However, it is mostly statistics. HTH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio