Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 PM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times

Advertisements

Left Behind: Why People Leave San Antonio | The Rivard Report

Quote:
I’ve lived in San Antonio for just over three years and I already know 41 people who have moved. That’s shocking to me.

Shocking and concerning, because the people I know moving out are by and large the people San Antonio claims it wants to attract . The majority are college educated young professionals between the ages of 25-40, many of whom were deeply involved in their communities while living here.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-20-2012 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: title changed to better reflect subject of article

Old 04-19-2012, 10:09 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,919 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

For a lot of those people--and I know all of the main ones mentioned--the issue was a job. Hell, when I lived in Chicago, I probably knew 200 people who moved away over a three-year period. (I also hung out with one of the main ones mentioned in this article last weekend at the awesome Echale night at the Pearl, and he was telling me that he misses SA.)

It's certainly true that SA doesn't have the massive influx of nothing-much-to-do youngsters that Austin does. As the article states, there are jokes up there about folks with a PhD delivering pizzas--just because they want to be in Austin. That's not a problem SA will ever have, at least for a long, long time.

It takes a certain kind of person to thrive in SA, and I like that kind of person much more than the average mindless hipster or "coolness" chaser. But, there is the issue of keeping the Rackspace crowd (for example) happy here. With more and more new things going up, it is slowly--very, very slowly--happening. For example, there are three or four really cool new bars opening up on the outskirts of downtown this month, more or less. Like it or not, that's the kind of nightlife that the young creative types desire.

Really, though, SA will have to capitalize on its unique culture and history as well as the fact that it's quite easy to BUILD things here and get involved in making this city something new. Places like Austin and Portland are already over-saturated. For me, those places are just a bit too pampered and "easy." I like some grit and edge. But that's just me. . . .

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-20-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Orphaned - post comments/title referred to have been changed.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
There is a Catch-22 here. Educated people leave San Antonio because of the lack of entry-level, professional jobs. Because educated people are leaving, there is a lack of qualified professionals here. The lack of qualified professionals makes companies that would hire entry-level employees hesitant to move here.

I read an article in the San Antonio Express News several months ago that said that most of the tech companies here are small and can only afford to hire people with experience. Since many of San Antonio's educated leave for entry-level opportunities and never come back, companies like Rackspace are forced to search for employees out of state.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,545,912 times
This is probably a common joke..I had a doctor who told me he would put a tortilla on his cars radio antenna and drive north until someone asked him what it was..kinda funny. I found another doctor..no problem!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
I know about as many retired military members who have MOVED to SA in the last year that are making GREAT money....guess it is better to have good money tax payers vs starving artist types in this economy.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:16 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I know about as many retired military members who have MOVED to SA in the last year that are making GREAT money....guess it is better to have good money tax payers vs starving artist types in this economy.
Of course they are, because they can get the best of everything. They have access to all of their medical care here, and can get great deals on car insurance and homeowner's insurance. They are also given preference when it comes to jobs. They also get free education while they are in or after they are in as well. They also get discounts where ever they go. I try to avoid places that give military discounts like Retama Park, because I don't want to pay either.

I might have left too, because my wife was very ill last year, but I bought a house.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
But for the city to continue to grow, expand and be diverse we need those types of people to move here. If we continue to attract old retirees we're going to be the next Florida.

I'm in that native group that just hasn't branched put yet. But I strongly agree we need a more diverse type of work force.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times

I've used up my permissible number of quote sentences from that copyrighted material for the thread, so I can't cite more specific instances where the thread refers to lifestyle issues rather than employment issues as reasons for the unhappiness of young professionals. Look for the article's references to San Antonio lacking "locals-oriented entertainment options," mass transit and art galleries, to name a few.

IMO, the lifestyle elements that the author cites as lacking are a more interesting discussion than whether Rackspace and the military give the city enough tech jobs.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-20-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 07:15 AM

611 posts, read 921,234 times

As someone in that 25-40 age range, who moved to San Antonio *for* a job, I have a different perspective.

Most of my friends here are also transplants, young professionals in the 24-35 age range who moved here for their careers. Very few of them complain about a lack of culture or things to do. Honestly, my wife and I moved here from a smaller city (yes folks, they do exist!), and our former home goes through the same hand-wringing about "brain-drains" and "lack of jobs". To an extent that is true almost anywhere.

If you had asked me 3 years ago what I thought of San Antonio, I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything except about the Spurs and the Alamo. However, I had a very good opportunity to advance my career through taking a position here. If my old city paper asked why I left, that's the main reason. San Antonio is superior in many aspects but falls short in many others. I'm not naive to the fact that San Antonio isn't for everyone, in fact if I had the right career opportunity I'd move back to South Carolina, but life is what you make of it and if you can't find something to like here, you aren't looking.

At the end of the day, most folks who want to rapidly advance in their career have to be mobile. You can be in one of the greatest cities in the world, but if you limit your search there, you still may miss an opportunity. This same article could have been written about any city in the country, "PEOPLE LEAVE FOR CAREER, PERSONAL OPPORTUNITY, TO BE CLOSER TO FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND DIFFERENT CULTURE". Big surprise there.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-20-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 AM

332 posts, read 529,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Very few of them complain about a lack of culture or things to do.
the only culture here is hispanic-related, and ill wager some of those leaving got tired of it (like myself and others are). i doubt it was a primary reason, but i know it was likely nagging them in the back of their mind.

would be nice to see something other than hispanic-themed events in this city, even if the majority of the population here is hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio