Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 AM

25 posts, read 94,664 times

Advertisements

I am going to Jamaica on on July 8th, but don't have my Passport yet... I know, I should have done this long ago (Even though didn't know till recently we were going). Question is: Where is the best place to submit Passport Application? I was just going to do a post office if I can get an appointment right away, or else go stand in line at the Perrin beitel location some saturday morning. But after looking at the City of San Antonio's City Clerk website (City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Passports) It looks like I can just go to the Municipal Archives & Records Facility. Has anybody gone there? I am hoping to avoid lines which seems to be the problem at the Perrin Beitel post office.

Also, my trip is about 10 weeks away. The passport website says it takes 4-6 weeks to process. Can I trust that time frame or should I shell out the cash to get an expedited service to make sure I get it in time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.wayne89 View Post
I am going to Jamaica on on July 8th, but don't have my Passport yet... I know, I should have done this long ago (Even though didn't know till recently we were going). Question is: Where is the best place to submit Passport Application? I was just going to do a post office if I can get an appointment right away, or else go stand in line at the Perrin beitel location some saturday morning. But after looking at the City of San Antonio's City Clerk website (City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Passports) It looks like I can just go to the Municipal Archives & Records Facility. Has anybody gone there? I am hoping to avoid lines which seems to be the problem at the Perrin Beitel post office.

Also, my trip is about 10 weeks away. The passport website says it takes 4-6 weeks to process. Can I trust that time frame or should I shell out the cash to get an expedited service to make sure I get it in time?
You should be fine with timing. Go now.

We've gotten our kids' passports and done recent renewals at the County Clerk's office downtown on three separate occasions. Never any wait. They'll do the photos there for $10. Easy as can be. (We live near there so usually walk, but there's on street parking a couple of blocks away and a parking garage nearby).

I know the Alamo Heights post office does them, and I've never seen a crowd in there, but not sure of their passport hours.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:57 AM

25 posts, read 94,664 times
Thanks for the info. I guess I am a bit skeptical on the government and their time frames.. I sent an order to the state of Texas for my Long Form birth certificate over 3 weeks ago. The website says orders are processed in 10-15 days, and when I contacted them this morning, my order "hasn't been processed at this time". arg..

anyways, thanks for your info on the Clerk's office. Are you saying you went to the actual clerk's office or are you talking about the Municipal Archives & Records Facility?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,172 times
i went to the Post office in converse and i was in and out in 15 minutes. make sure you bring a check or cash. no CC. if you bring cash they will make a money order for you.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.wayne89 View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess I am a bit skeptical on the government and their time frames.. I sent an order to the state of Texas for my Long Form birth certificate over 3 weeks ago. The website says orders are processed in 10-15 days, and when I contacted them this morning, my order "hasn't been processed at this time". arg..

anyways, thanks for your info on the Clerk's office. Are you saying you went to the actual clerk's office or are you talking about the Municipal Archives & Records Facility?
It was the Bexar County District Clerk's office. They moved locations recently, but just to the building across...or at least that was last sumer. I'm not sure which building has the Municipal Archives. This site lists it as 101 W. Nueva St, Suite 217 Bexar County District Clerk

Except when the new law requiring passports to go to Mexico came into effect and there were huge delays, the passport office has generally been fairly quick. They say 6-8 weeks but it's usually like 3-4. Of course there is the off chance of an application getting lost, and I'm sure it happens, but you'll still have plenty of time if you don't receive it in 4 weeks.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:31 PM

358 posts, read 577,259 times
Be sure you have your SS card and a certified copy of your birth certificate and a photo ID.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:23 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,881 times
Have your application printed and completed ahead of time, too!

FWIW, my son submitted his (minor, not a renewal as they don't renew kids, but not first time, either) at the Thousand Oaks PO March 13, had his PP and PP card in hand April 11.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
We just did my 14-yr-old son's passport (he's going to Germany this summer with my Mom), we stopped by the office at the Municipal Archives & Records Facility (719 S. Santa Rosa, San Antonio, Texas 78204, (210) 207-4214) and had it in less than a month. No appointment necessary, but avoid Friday's if you can. Here's more info...

City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Passports

Be aware that many post offices require an appointment, and are booked for a month or longer...

Cheers! M2

Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,965 times
I think I needed cash or two seperate checks or something... Be prepared. And yes the clerks office - fast, professional and easy.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM

36 posts, read 149,054 times
Default Same Day Passport

You can get a passport done on the same day.

Schedule an Appointment at the Houston Passport Agency

George Thomas "Mickey" Leland Federal Building
1919 Smith Street, 4th Floor
Houston, TX 77002
(Use the entrance located on 1919 Louisiana Street.)

You should go there in the morning and have a paid airline ticked for a trip within 2 weeks. If you do they should be able to give you a passport by 2:30 pm.

I went there at 2 pm and they had the passport ready the following day for pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio