Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,289 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if these schools are good in the NISD? We are considering a move to Colonial Hills neighborhood and it says those are the schools it's zoned for (at least for now) and I'm curious to know if they are good or not. Any input would be greatly apprecaited!! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 03:41 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Actually, they are in the NEISD. My oldest son went to Jackson Middle School and one year at Lee High School. He didn't like Jackson, and I can't recall why, but he enjoyed his year at Lee. I do know that after-school care is free at Colonial Hills, or at least it used to be. Sorry I can't offer more info.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,981 times
Default Colonial Hills Jackson Lee

A friend of mine went to Colonial Hills, then up to Jackson. Colonial Hills is a very enriching school and she liked it there a lot. Jackson she didn't like quite as much because she was picked on often. We both go to Lee and neither like it. If you speak Spanish, go for it. About three quarters of the school is Hispanic and speaks exclusively in Spanish to eachother quite often. Otherwise I don't really rate it all that well. If you're caucasian I also don't suggest it, becuase you get picked on for being white there because it is considered dishonorable not to be mexican. Also Lee is one of the poorest (money wise) schools in NEISD and isn't given much attention.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:42 PM

140 posts, read 493,760 times
Ok, dont post much unless its something I actually know something about. The last post is a bit overstretched. Yes LEE is in NEISD and is majority hispanic, but there are other NEISD schools that are majority hispanic as well. When did that become a bad thing? It also covers a lot of the castle hills area, so it is a mixed school. The statement that you must speak spanish is the most ridiculous and ignorant statement I have ever heard. As somone who is hispanic, grew up almost entirely in SAISD until transferring to Lee I was never spoke spanish too in either district. I suggest you go to the NEISD site and look up the campus report cards. Yes, Lee does get money, if you have seen the campus lately, it looks like an entirely different campus. I suggest doing your own research and deciding whats best for your child. One thing about Lee that many people forget is that it has TWO magnet programs on its campus. North East School of the Arts (NESA) which is great if your interested in the arts in any way, and Intenational School of the Americas (ISA) which is actually rated as a "Recognized" school by the state. All share and mix with the Lee campus/students. My two cents.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4512 View Post
One thing about Lee that many people forget is that it has TWO magnet programs on its campus. North East School of the Arts (NESA) which is great if your interested in the arts in any way, and Intenational School of the Americas (ISA) which is actually rated as a "Recognized" school by the state. All share and mix with the Lee campus/students.
The NEISD magnet schools are fine in and of themselves. But in the big picture, they function like like pontoons, designed to bring in gifted students who test well to raise the average test scores for the school. The fact that Lee is the only school in NEISD that has two such programs is a sign that the school needs more lift than the others to keep its test scores and TEA rating from falling too low.

Lee may be better than schools not in the NEISD, but the presence of those magnet schools makes me wary of the general population of Lee.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM

140 posts, read 493,760 times
Once again not true, as I mentined earlier Lee might not be for everyone, but lets make informed posts please. ISA is considrered its "OWN" school. So you are incorrect. ISA has its own principal, its own teachers, its own graduation, etc. The students at the recognized ISA have NO effect on test scores for Lee high school. They are graded to the states standards on their own and thus, differently from LEE. They do however share facilities with Lee and are allowed to particiapte in Lee activites, such as band, athletics, etc. As far as NESA, I dont know the enrollment for NESA, they are considered Lee students and their scores do count with LEE. What effect that makes I dont know, im sure is very minimal though. There are numerous magnet programs throughout the district, and so in regard to the last post, Lee would then only have one program with counts toward test scores. Along with MacArthur, and Madison which also have one. Roosevelt would be the only school with two magnet programs counted in test scores. As I mentiond earlier, depends on what is best for you !!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:41 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The NEISD magnet schools are fine in and of themselves. But in the big picture, they function like like pontoons, designed to bring in gifted students who test well to raise the average test scores for the school. The fact that Lee is the only school in NEISD that has two such programs is a sign that the school needs more lift than the others to keep its test scores and TEA rating from falling too low.

Lee may be better than schools not in the NEISD, but the presence of those magnet schools makes me wary of the general population of Lee.
The majority of Lee's population belongs to the magnet programs. The actual Lee HS non-magnet population is small.

Last edited by pobre; 12-20-2007 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar

Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 PM

546 posts, read 3,104,505 times
I graduated from Lee way back (1989). It was pretty junky back then, so I can only imagine what it's like now. Now it WAS far better than where I went to summer school the previous year, Roosevelt, yikes, man I was scared for my life at that joint.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 AM

343 posts, read 1,305,216 times
Colonial Hills is a Title I campus. This means a vast majority of the students come from humble homes. A friend is a teacher there and she says it is a good school.

They have a great bilingual program. Her son and daughter go to school there and they speak english and spanish very well. Much better than my daughters. And their program is not only for spanish speaking children but for anyone.

Don't know much about the middle school.

Lee I believe has a low enrollment if it was not for the magnet schools. I believe NEISD wanted to cancel extra curricular programs because of the low enrollment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: