Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:08 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times

Advertisements

This is a San Antonio forum and this thread is not for opinions on illegal immigration.. there's an entire forum for that. We try to keep things a little more peaceful around here. or at least that's the impression I've got from hanging out here.. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected by some of the old timers from here.

BTW, don't get me wrong, I love controversy, but there's a time and a place for everything..

Old 09-22-2007, 12:22 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
This is a San Antonio forum and this thread is not for opinions on illegal immigration.. there's an entire forum for that. We try to keep things a little more peaceful around here. or at least that's the impression I've got from hanging out here.. If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll be corrected by some of the old timers from here.

BTW, don't get me wrong, I love controversy, but there's a time and a place for everything..
I'm assuming this post is directed at me, and I apologize for stirring up the peace.

But you're right, rd2007, there is a forum already dedicated to bashing Mexicans:

Immigration forum

Knock yourselves out!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:27 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I wonder if the same people that complain about illegals or use words like "Sanctuary City" ala FIXED News Channel, are willing to pay $9 dollars for a head of lettuce or pay four times as much for their McMansion.

I also wonder if those are the same people shopping at Walmart trying to save a buck on the backs of Chinese laborers who make less than $1 per hour at the peril of America's children, pets and economic future.

Yes, Yes I am. I am willing.. Id also like to see people by more stuff made in the USA instead of china or some other country. Id pay more for that product as well. I don't shop Wal*Mart mostly Target.. better store, better selection.

But nice for you to assume we wouldn't or that prices would rise like that.. Americans are a savvy bunch. I am sure we have lost progress in farm equipment technologies that could do the work of 50 illegals if we had to develop them, because we have relied on the backs of illegal workers.

One poster here is scared that it sounds like Germans reporting Jews.. how far off base is that.. wow.. totally different situation. But nice try trying to make that fit in with whats happening here now. Good use of deflection and the race card. Even though I think your insane.

San Antonio is a pretty cool place. I used to live there as a kid. the Zoo is awesome, the River walk. I don't think San Antonio is a Sanctuary City, other than for all who visit it and enjoy its many touristy spots and history, like the Alamo.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:39 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Yes, Yes I am. I am willing.. Id also like to see people by more stuff made in the USA instead of china or some other country. Id pay more for that product as well. I don't shop Wal*Mart mostly Target.. better store, better selection.
Well I'm happy that you're one of the few willing to sacrifice.

Quote:
But nice for you to assume we wouldn't or that prices would rise like that.. Americans are a savvy bunch. I am sure we have lost progress in farm equipment technologies that could do the work of 50 illegals if we had to develop them, because we have relied on the backs of illegal workers.
I never assumed ALL Americans aren't willing, but I suspect most aren't or couldn't . I'd even venture to say most folks don't have the slightest idea of the negative impact they make by shopping at Walmart and it's ilk.

Quote:
One poster here is scared that it sounds like Germans reporting Jews.. how far off base is that.. wow.. totally different situation. But nice try trying to make that fit in with whats happening here now. Good use of deflection and the race card. Even though I think your insane.
You would do yourself a favor if you refrained from personal attacks. It dumbed down your otherwise good post.

Good day now!

Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,332,510 times
As was mentioned before, there is a forum where you can discuss immigration. This thread needs to remain San Antonio specific or it will be closed.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:21 PM

260 posts, read 1,144,977 times
Thanks for your comments. In an attempt to keep this S.A. specific, here is what I have learned:

From ICE's website, the San Antonio office had just under 10,000 illegal immigrant removals in just the first 4 months of 2006 ICE's San Antonio office has removed more than 9,500 illegal aliens this year (http://www.ice.gov/pi/news/newsreleases/articles/060504sanantonio.htm - broken link).

Not a lot of specific information that I could find. Just a bunch of anecdotal stuff which to me is not worth much.

One website lists San Antonio as a Sanctuary City based on reputed city policies. Apparently it is under dispute. These guys don't get specific on their reasons other than the general statement describing how a city gets listed. Sanctuary city, sanctuary, sanctuary city list, Ohio, jobs, OJJPAC, list, justice, soverignty, citizenship, illegal alien, immigration, amnesty, sanctuary cities, undocumented, ICE, NYC, Huston, Chicago, Phoenix, L.A.

Anyway, I brought up the topic because I have work to do around my yard, and I wanted to use the guys who are building the homes around my community. But any time I talk to one of them to solicit their help I have to make my request in Spanish (I am fluent) and they always end up being undocumented... So I keep having to turn to the yellow pages to find a legit business (I don't mind paying more), and even then who really knows who they hire. Like Mitt Romney, I can't interrogate everyone who works for the contractors I hire, so despite being against the law, using illegal workers seems to me to be accepted as the norm for contractors around here. Or at least that's the case in my part of San Antonio. Maybe it's different in your part of town.

Anybody know a good stonework/masonry guy?

Last edited by AirForceDoc; 09-22-2007 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 05:14 AM

370 posts, read 882,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
I realize this may be a sensitive issue, and of course I have my own opinion, but I have much to learn and given this board seems to be a well-educated forum, I am interested in reading what other people have to say about the following topic:

... would San Antonio fit the bill? Would it fit it in Part? In Full? Not at all?
Hi I'm new here, (ArmyNurse) and since I hail from Chicago, (which I would say is much more 'non-documented resident' friendly) my answer on your question is solid enough already to be reflexive.

A RESOUNDING no, I do not think that this is a sanctuary city at all.

Gen
p.s. I'm not of Mexican heritage and look more German or Finnish or Danish than my 50% Indigenous mix...and have only been here for 8+ weeks

Last edited by Gennaver; 09-23-2007 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: queen of typos

Old 09-23-2007, 05:17 AM

370 posts, read 882,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
Thanks for your comments. ...Anyway, I brought up the topic because I have work to do around my yard, and I wanted to use the guys who are building the homes around my community. But any time I talk to one of them to solicit their help I have to make my request in Spanish (I am fluent) and they always end up being undocumented...

So I keep having to turn to the yellow pages to find a legit business (I don't mind paying more), and even then who really knows who they hire.

...Anybody know a good stonework/masonry guy?
Hi,
Ah? Then I guess your post here is more to the point. Start at the yellow pages then, eh?
Gen

Old 09-23-2007, 09:31 AM

260 posts, read 1,144,977 times
Actually my point was to see what other people think, in light of my recent experiences. The stonework question was topic relief.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:10 PM

58 posts, read 203,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
I wonder if the same people that complain about illegals or use words like "Sanctuary City" ala FIXED News Channel, are willing to pay $9 dollars for a head of lettuce or pay four times as much for their McMansion.

I also wonder if those are the same people shopping at Walmart trying to save a buck on the backs of Chinese laborers who make less than $1 per hour at the peril of America's children, pets and economic future.

I'm with you PHM!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio