Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 AM

581 posts, read 1,188,210 times

Advertisements

UTHSC has they're own locator service, if I remember correctly, in the Student Services dept. As well as people looking for roommates. And as former med student to another, I would suggest you get as close as possible in an area you feel safe in. Go to orientation or the campus and ask around where other students live. When I went to med school, out of state though, I chose to stay somewhere very close (within walking distance) and a little pricey and I skimped on basic needs, like good food. But I wanted to be closer since I didn't have a vehicle at that time. But it was my situation and It worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM

993 posts, read 2,491,376 times
Man, I should rent out a room in my house.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 PM

448 posts, read 919,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyausten View Post
Thank-you for your response

I'd love to stay under $650 (trying to accumulate as little debt as possible during school) ...I was willing to do old and small.

SA Station and The Villas at St. Moritz had no 1 bedrooms or efficiencies available

Woods at Elm Creek, Mesa Ridge, and Las Cimas were all a bit dodgy

BroadStone only had renovated 1 bedrooms available...at $750 and they were pretty small

I guess the frustration comes from knowing I could get a larger, cheaper (albeit older) apartment in a very nice part of Dallas that has a lot going on...the Medical Center's only attraction seems to be the Medical Center...outside of that everything looked pretty sketchy (admittedly, I don't know the area well at all--so maybe I'm off base here)
That's strange. I currently live in Dallas(Oak Lawn) and I pay 735.00 for 500 Sq ft. apartment. I feel for that same amount of cash, I can get a larger unit in SA.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,649 times
Again, thank-you all so much for responding...this whole thing feels very over-whelming...still I've lived in Dallas for a quarter century now...probably time to shake it up

Regarding orientation---I was admitted off the waitlist so I missed the main one they had in March...I feel very much behind everyone else in getting settled.

Obviously getting roommates is the best solution for cheap living...and my thought about that has been: next year I will be able to get a house or something with friends I've made (well...provided I make friends...)

To do it this year, with people I don't know, would be risky. I dread the thought of being trapped in a year lease in a bad situation---that said, I'm pretty easy going, and heck...maybe a bad situation would drive me to live at the library...(so good for my grades anyway)

So I'm willing to risk unknown roommates if the price is right---I've gotten a couple of mass emails from med students looking for roommates for condos etc...it just didn't seem to be that much cheaper than getting an apartment. I have no pets, have a car, washer/dryer connection would be nice, but as long as the place is safe I'd use an on-site one.

I emailed a few people looking for roommates from the UTHSCSA housing service this weekend and so far haven't gotten any responses (maybe they found people already)...I'll go back and make sure emailed everyone though.

One of the places that was full gave me the name of an apartment locator (the two places he suggested were duds---but he was out of town so I think he was just throwing out a couple names---I'll call him tommorrow)

It'd be nice to be within walking distance...because the only parking pass I could buy is Zone 5 which is apparently god-awful and for a lot on another block from the school (that'll be fun in the heat or rain )...but I can get used to anything (or just skip class...jk)...from reading past posts I have gotten the sense that alot of long-time SA residents don't think highly of the Medical Center area....so what are the better areas around it (or which bordering zipcodes/neighborhoods should I look at)?

I'll look into the apartments/areas some of you all suggested...(The Carlise is nice but pricey)...please keep them coming if you have anything else to suggest...

@SAguy---lol...alas, maybe the real issue is just everything is always going up....but from what I saw this past weekend... Oaklawn has more life/character than the Medical Center...at least parts of Cedar Springs are jumping with clubs and resturants...(though I know it's still rough around the edges)...the emergence of Uptown probably has driven Oaklawn rents up. What I was really thinking of was The Village in East Dallas (my favorite part of Dallas)...you used to be able to rent one of their older units for less than $600...granted they're slowly tearing them all down and going high-rent only...but the Med Center (from what I saw) was nothing like East Dallas....it was like the Harry Hines area around Childrens' Hospital and Parkland

The thing is....when you know a city well...you know where you can get good value...when you don't you have to make a choice based upon very limited information...it may be inevitable that I pay too much this year or have a situation that leaves something to be desired...I'll be happy when I get into a routine and find my bearings...this flying blind is no fun

Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
The Medical Center is not anything like East Dallas....you are correct. I lived in the Med Center 20 years ago and kind of liked it, actually. I lived in Windridge Apts. on Babcock and also the International Residence (I think they were called) Apts. I enjoyed both....Windridge was quiet back then but I've since been by and it looks more run-down and not as quiet, but that's just judging from the street. It may indeed be quiet. It sort of butts up to the complex on Wurzbach that is loaded with med students.....I'm in Dallas now so I don't know the name, used to be Chapel Ridge, I think. There are so many apts. in the Med Center......a lot of them are on Cinnamon Creek....it's been years but they seemed to be OK, lots of students again, and medical people. The Int'l Residence....it was HUGE as apts. go. Almost 1500 sf 2 story...really was set up for 3 people to share, with small living area and kitchen but HUGE bedrooms, 2 up one down. I have no idea of pricing these days, though.

I guess I just jumped on here to implore you NOT to move to any place over there that has "Fair" in the name, such as Fairway or Fairhaven....or Datapoint. All of these used to be nice but they are nothing but scary now.

Since you have a car, have you checked to see if anyone is renting a room, say in their home in Shavano Park? That would not be a bad drive and it would likely be a lovely home. Someone already mentioned the 4plex-type apts. near UTSA, which would make me nuts but there are also some new apts. on Hausman Road that don't look too bad.

Good luck, SA is so different from Dallas. You will come to love it there but just know.....it's different than what you're used to.

Moderator cut: RE listings from any source can no longer be posted in the forums - send info by DM only

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 06-25-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 PM

Location: inside, where it is warm or cool depending on the season
117 posts, read 140,110 times
Quote:
Again, thank-you all so much for responding...this whole thing feels very over-whelming...still I've lived in Dallas for a quarter century now...probably time to shake it up
We just moved from dallas two months ago and have been going through the same process as you - expect we have kids and careers. The med center to UTSA area has pockets that seemed sketchy to us at first, until we drove through neighborhoods closer to downtown. some have blocks of razed buildings.

...there is a different feel here. Dallas has a certain feel and SA has a different one and I find that it was something to get used to (and am still getting used to). For example driving north/east on Huebner from I-10 and I thought it was just an average neighborhood as the streets were uneven and rough and in areas there is open undeveloped space or poor landscaping and then I would see nice landscaping and nice/new buildings and wondered what kind of area this was - well that area known as Shavano is really nice but it has a different FEEL than anywhere else I've lived before so I was initially fooled. On the other side there are some sketchy areas inside the 10-1604-151-410 triangle/square/area (whatever) but also some good ones - however none of the will have that Dallas FEEL, it is different here. You mentioned walking...but if you can drive then look north of 1604 - that has a more similar feel to Dallas burbs than anything else however you might find some affordable apartments there. then there are the alamo ranch apartments, they might be affordable(?) but that would be a 15 min commute by car. if you want a downtown experience there are some nice riverwalk/downtown areas but the nice/decent ones aren't (that I know of) inexpensive.

most of our search has focused along i-10 and around 1604 from alamo ranch (near sea world) to stone oak (highway 281). we might be settling in helotes area...making a decision soon.

in the end, those of us with limited budgets must compromise at some point and figure out the one or two things that are of prime importance...it sounds like you need to figure those one or two things out and let them guide your decision. I think we have about 5 "must have" items on our list and so far we've had good luck and I'm sure you will too.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
One of the places that was full gave me the name of an apartment locator (the two places he suggested were duds---but he was out of town so I think he was just throwing out a couple names---I'll call him tommorrow)
Find a better locator. Some know their stuff a lot better than others.

Also, with the parking situation you described, if you do find a place to live that's only a mile or two away, a bicycle might be a good idea (as long as you don't mind parking it inside your apartment). Sometimes it's really too hot to walk around here, but on a bike at least the wind hits your sweat and cools you off a bit

Old 06-26-2012, 04:05 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
That's strange. I currently live in Dallas(Oak Lawn) and I pay 735.00 for 500 Sq ft. apartment. I feel for that same amount of cash, I can get a larger unit in SA.
Yes, you could. I lived at Huebner & 10 (clean area) at Ventana Apts, paid $715/mo for 750 sq ft.
Why did you choose Oak Lawn?

Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 PM

15 posts, read 23,826 times
i like off blanco near wuzbach parkway (idk where the medical center is from here, im new to SA) and i LOVE my apartment. Its called the Winston Apartments 11246 sir winston drive. They are well kept, nice and they do a lengthy background check on all applicants, you can barely get in with a speeding ticket. They aren't owner by a management company, its a husband and wife. Maintenance lives on site also and he is super nice and things are fixed same day. ( i needed a new front door) very clean. I drive 410 all hours of the day and have not hit traffic except once at that was coming back from the west side at 5pm. tons of stores, restaurants, etc and the people that live here are friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio