Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM

363 posts, read 749,087 times

Advertisements

Received a notice from SAWS that this needed to be inspected. What is it? Where is it? What will the inspection cost me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,136,542 times
It's the connection between your sprinkler and the water line, so it's probably in a box in the yard, a few feet from your water meter.

I pay about $35 to get mine inspected. Plumbers do it. Sprinkler companies do it. The inspector just has to be certified by the city. I fax my notice to Alamo Irrigation. They inspect it within a month, send the paperwork to the city and mail me a bill when it's done. I've never even seen them do the inspection.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:03 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,563,228 times
More information, etc., here: SAWS letter regarding yearly backflow testing

Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM

545 posts, read 1,062,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I've never even seen them do the inspection.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:08 PM

554 posts, read 1,070,611 times
Quote:
I've never even seen them do the inspection.
Sounds like the car inspection/registration process we had when I was stationed in Panama. A guy would come around and we would give him some paperwork and money. He would come back a couple of days later with your new sticker.

There is another thread on here somewhere about backflow prevention testing. <-- (note: included in Post #3)

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: included note

Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanValdez View Post
I know that at least oneinspection happened, because the last time, I noticed a leak in the yard a few days later. The plumber I called to check on the leak showed me that the "leak" was actually the BFP valve left open.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:37 PM

3,083 posts, read 8,430,031 times
Quote:
I know that at least oneinspection happened, because the last time, I noticed a leak in the yard a few days later. The plumber I called to check on the leak showed me that the "leak" was actually the BFP valve left open.
I do not mean to negatively question the Plumber but how was the bakflow prevention valve "left open" to cause a leak? Here is a typical doublecheck valve found on sprinkler systems and made by WATTS (a very large manufacturer/provider of doublecheck valves) Learn About The GoldenEagle® Series Backflow Preventer - Learn About - Watts. This is the standard construction of these valves. When the backflow test is performed there is no need to physically remove the actual individual valves (see the exploded view) and instead just attach their pressure gauges to the valves. The two green tipped handles you see are displayed in the normally open position to allow the water to flow through the valve assembly. The only way(s) I could see them causing a leak are:
  1. The inappropriately unscrewed the individual valve seats/sub-assemblies and did not fully reseat and tighten them. That would have been an unnecessary step and been immediately visible to the tester.
  2. The tester left some type of adapter on the test **** (small nipple where they attach the pressure gauge) and did not remove it when finished. Again it would have been immediately visible.
  3. The valve is of a unique design that actually does have valve handles to an overflow or pressure dump point that can be left open accidentally. Again this should have been noticeable immediately.
Just curious?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
I do not mean to negatively question the Plumber but how was the bakflow prevention valve "left open" to cause a leak? Here is a typical doublecheck valve found on sprinkler systems and made by WATTS (a very large manufacturer/provider of doublecheck valves) Learn About The GoldenEagle® Series Backflow Preventer - Learn About - Watts. This is the standard construction of these valves. When the backflow test is performed there is no need to physically remove the actual individual valves (see the exploded view) and instead just attach their pressure gauges to the valves. The two green tipped handles you see are displayed in the normally open position to allow the water to flow through the valve assembly. The only way(s) I could see them causing a leak are:
  1. The inappropriately unscrewed the individual valve seats/sub-assemblies and did not fully reseat and tighten them. That would have been an unnecessary step and been immediately visible to the tester.
  2. The tester left some type of adapter on the test **** (small nipple where they attach the pressure gauge) and did not remove it when finished. Again it would have been immediately visible.
  3. The valve is of a unique design that actually does have valve handles to an overflow or pressure dump point that can be left open accidentally. Again this should have been noticeable immediately.
Just curious?
Sorry. I don't have any documentation of the fix and I don't know the details in much more granularity than I provided above. The plumber I use didn't charge me for the service call, since I'm a regular customer who has spent over $1,000 with his company over the years. He reached into the box, messed with something and eliminated the leak in less than a minute. I don't recall him bringing a part out of the box w/the BFP or using any tools to make the fix.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 8,430,031 times
Bo,

Thanks for the info. Interesting the leak was fixed by hand. Might have been a stuck test c ock (Had to split that up because they auto deleted it the last time).

Old 12-26-2013, 07:18 AM

952 posts, read 2,636,595 times
Quote:
It's the connection between your sprinkler and the water line, so it's probably in a box in the yard, a few feet from your water meter.

I pay about $35 to get mine inspected. Plumbers do it. Sprinkler companies do it. The inspector just has to be certified by the city. I fax my notice to Alamo Irrigation. They inspect it within a month, send the paperwork to the city and mail me a bill when it's done. I've never even seen them do the inspection.
I just received this notice also a couple of weeks ago. Can you recommend someone within the AR area? and how much do they usually charge for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio