Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 PM

413 posts, read 742,082 times

Advertisements

He should be fired and charged with animal cruelty, as any other person would be. Accident or not, it really doesn't matter. And I think there's more to the story here that they're not telling us and I'll leave that up to you all to speculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM

11 posts, read 16,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In TX, killing a police dog is a 3rd degree felony. If this officer is charged with the deaths of the dogs and convicted, he'll not only face jail time but also the loss of his professional license. He won't even be able to get a job doing security if he's got a felony conviction.
So what has happended so far with this? Or, is the guy getting off the hook?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: repaired quote tags

Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbGroBox View Post
So what has happended so far with this? Or, is the guy getting off the hook?
Administrative leave with pay.

Sheriff: Heat sensors to protect dogs not installed - San Antonio Express-News

Sheriff is up for re-election. Look for his opponent to raise this as a campaign issue.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,701 times
didn't this happen a year or so ago as well or am I imagining things? We crucify average civilians if they do this. It's only right to have a high expectation of our officers.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Sheriff is up for re-election. Look for his opponent to raise this as a campaign issue.
Considering the opponent has zero law enforcement experience, she had better come up with a better campaign strategy than attacking a tragic accident like this!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Considering the opponent has zero law enforcement experience, she had better come up with a better campaign strategy than attacking a tragic accident like this!
People love dogs and obviously from the thread, people are concerned about the treatment of these working dogs. IMO the story I linked makes it easy to conclude that it was on the incumbent sheriff's watch that no one bothered to install the cooling equipment (which had been purchased, but never installed) in the K-9 Unit vehicles.

If I was running the Pamerleau campaign, I would make an issue out of that.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
People love dogs and obviously from the thread, people are concerned about the treatment of these working dogs. IMO the story I linked makes it easy to conclude that it was on the incumbent sheriff's watch that no one bothered to install the cooling equipment (which had been purchased, but never installed) in the K-9 Unit vehicles.

If I was running the Pamerleau campaign, I would make an issue out of that.
It isn't that simple, and Ortiz is taking steps to ensure that such a tragedy doesn't happen again.

Inasmuch as I am also a dog lover, that fact is not going to compel me to vote against an experienced sheriff in exchange for someone who is simply seeking elected office and who is not anywhere close to being qualified to do the job (it takes a lot more than "management skills," and having been on the receiving end of Pamerleau's "management skills," the mere thought of her heading the county's law enforcement agency not only concerns me deeply, but actually scares me! )

Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Moderator cut: Off-Topic

With that said, I don't see why this lady doesn't deserve a shot at being a sheriff if she wants to run even if she has no past law enforcement experience.

Anyways, I feel bad for what these two dogs went through. Hopefully the cooling equipment is now installed although it is too late for those two.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Off-Topic - National political discussions belong in the P&OC Forum only

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Moderator cut: Off-Topic

With that said, I don't see why this lady doesn't deserve a shot at being a sheriff if she wants to run even if she has no past law enforcement experience.

Anyways, I feel bad for what these two dogs went through. Hopefully the cooling equipment is now installed although it is too late for those two.
Moderator cut: orphaned Read her bio on her website, she has absolutely zero law enforcement experience, even in the military. Hell, based on that, I'm more qualified than her!

I "know" a lot about her, having suffered from her "leadership" when she was in the military. She doesn't have the skills to be the county dog catcher, much less the sheriff.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 09:11 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Moderator cut: orphaned Point I was trying to make is that unless there is specific requirement the person must have law enforcement or even military experience to run for a certain position, that person has the right to run with or without the experience you speak of.

You may be right that she is not qualified. I can't make that assumption because I don't know her or what her qualifications are.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-15-2012 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio