Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM
AKF AKF started this thread

178 posts, read 708,356 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

What part of San Antonio is considered the best, based on the below criteria:

1. Affordable housing - 3 bedroom/2 bath single family house for $100K max. I would love it if anyone can give me zipcodes. It would help immensly when looking at Realtor.com.
2. Close to museums, arts, things to do (not bars, nightlife necessarily).
3. Are there any areas with spanish style homes under $100K, of course in a "safe" area?
4. Anyway to avoid those overwhelming overpasses to get in and out of the city?

No, I don't mean "Uptown" area where all the rich peple live, a more diverse area but low in crime absolutely.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
I know most wont agree but I would have to say the Southside. Theres no traffic and there is exciting new growth there. Housing is very affordable. I have a 4 bedroom 2 story home that is 2250 sq ft and it was only 105k. It is only about 5 - 7 miles from dowtown which means it is "close to museums, arts, things to do" and only about 2 mins from Loop 410 which from there you can get to anywhere in town quickly. Zipcode 78223

Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
One thing, if you do get a house in this area make sure its a new one. The older ones are really old.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Default You are right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
One thing, if you do get a house in this area make sure its a new one. The older ones are really old.

From all the reading I have done so far, THAT is the part of town everyone says to avoid. Apparently it is high crime and poverty stricken area.
I actually like historical homes, specifically spanish style, italian style homes...I don't particularly care for the houses with vinyl siding ala NJ...is South side then still my best bet? If so, how bad is the crime in that area?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Zipcodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube665 View Post
I know most wont agree but I would have to say the Southside. Theres no traffic and there is exciting new growth there. Housing is very affordable. I have a 4 bedroom 2 story home that is 2250 sq ft and it was only 105k. It is only about 5 - 7 miles from dowtown which means it is "close to museums, arts, things to do" and only about 2 mins from Loop 410 which from there you can get to anywhere in town quickly. Zipcode 78223

Do you know what the zip codes are for the "midtown" part of SA?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
The Southside is not a monolith - some areas are terrible, and some are nice middle clas areas, like the Highland Hills area. It totally depends, and it can be a block-by-block adventure in places.

What do you mean by midtown? San Antonio is mostly divided up into quadrants - Northside is stereotypically Anglo, South and West are stereotypically Hispanic and the East Side is stereotypically Black. The areas directly north of downtown are Tobin Hill and Beacon Hill, Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Olmos Park Terrace and Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:18 AM

21 posts, read 65,279 times
I have a question. My husband and I are looking to buy a home in this area, since he will be stationed at Lackland. Any advice for finding a decent home just under $200K? We really want a safe area. I found some KB homes around this area in the Northwest??? Please help!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' The TriCities View Post
The Southside is not a monolith - some areas are terrible, and some are nice middle clas areas, like the Highland Hills area. It totally depends, and it can be a block-by-block adventure in places.

What do you mean by midtown? San Antonio is mostly divided up into quadrants - Northside is stereotypically Anglo, South and West are stereotypically Hispanic and the East Side is stereotypically Black. The areas directly north of downtown are Tobin Hill and Beacon Hill, Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Olmos Park, Olmos Park Terrace and Alamo Heights/Terrell Hills.
Actually those areas you mentioned are what they have listed as "Midtown" on the internet...so thanks for clarifying that.

Thanks for that breakdown it does help. Where would you say the Asians hang out?

Old 10-04-2007, 07:11 AM

314 posts, read 2,539,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtosa View Post
I have a question. My husband and I are looking to buy a home in this area, since he will be stationed at Lackland. Any advice for finding a decent home just under $200K? We really want a safe area. I found some KB homes around this area in the Northwest??? Please help!

There are lot's of options around Potranco and 1604 that fit your criteria. It's a 15 to 20 minute drive to Lackland, and its considered one of the safest area's of the city.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:54 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times
Sshhh!! Don't tell everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio