Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 PM

235 posts, read 360,353 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

First post here but I have been poking around the forum for some time. My wife and I are considering relocating to San Antonio for a possible job. I am originally from San Antonio but I haven't lived there in almost 20 years. She is not from Texas (South East).

I am researching possible neighborhoods and places to live in case we decide to do this. I remember just enough about San Antonio to target some areas but since I haven't lived there in so long, obviously many things have changed. We are currently living in Houston in a townhouse. No kids and we don't plan on any (do have a dog though).

I would love to find a neighborhood that has convenient access to neighborhood shops (not chain places), restaurants and a local pub. We prefer to live in a neighborhood that is walkable and is cycle friendly. Convenient access to a nice park would also be ideal. Safety is also a big issue. I don't want to live in fear that someone will kick in our front door and I don't want to feel like I am the only person walking down the sidewalk at 9pm on a Saturday night.

I know that this is Texas and "walkable neighborhoods" are few and far between. That is one of my biggest complaints about Houston. But, we have found a pocket of walkable areas within the great sea of suburbia that dominates. I would love to find something similar in San Antonio.

So, any neighborhoods or areas that would stand out? We will probably rent initially but eventually buy; hopefully for between $400K to $450K. I love the Riverwalk. Are there any neighborhoods with convenient access to the Riverwalk now? Growing up it was mainly a tourist area and very few locals lived down there.

What about Alamo Heights? I remember that Broadway used to have many shops and little dives (50/50 for example). Any other areas to recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
You're probably going to have to stick to the 09 area, or possibly Monte Vista too. There are some cute homes in Alamo Heights in your price range.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Is Alamo Heights still very cliquey?

I didn't grow up there (north central), but I always thought it was one of those places where everyone who lived in Alamo Heights was from Alamo Heights and grew up in Alamo Heights. Maybe that has changed though with the growth in San Antonio?

Also, Monte Vista is near Trinity, correct? I always thought that area was a little marginal. Has it transitioned?

Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
There has been a huge level of transition all around downtown, including near north and near south.
Monte Vista is quite desirable these days.

Since you are so close, I highly recommend making a few visits to San Antonio on weekends to personally explore neighborhoods. Southtown (King William, Lavaca, SoFlo), Downtown, Broadway Corridor, Monte Vista, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill have all seen huge revivals. Some still marginal, some well established.

AH is great, but I see no reason to stick to it, and that price range is low end for AH, so may not be as worthwhile as elsewhere. Plenty of suburbs around SA too. So if that' your thing, there is no shortage of subdivisions.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
There has been a huge level of transition all around downtown, including near north and near south.
Monte Vista is quite desirable these days.

Since you are so close, I highly recommend making a few visits to San Antonio on weekends to personally explore neighborhoods. Southtown (King William, Lavaca, SoFlo), Downtown, Broadway Corridor, Monte Vista, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill have all seen huge revivals. Some still marginal, some well established.

AH is great, but I see no reason to stick to it, and that price range is low end for AH, so may not be as worthwhile as elsewhere. Plenty of suburbs around SA too. So if that' your thing, there is no shortage of subdivisions.
All very good points

Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
SoFlo (South Flores/Southtown) is growing and the spaces coming online for purchase are beautiful. Perfectly within that price range too. Three new spaces at Camp Street Lofts are soon going to be on the market, and all at very low prices (priced to move).

Government Hill continues to gentrify. As I mentioned in another thread, that neighborhood offers some interesting bungalows, in both remodeled and needing re-doing shape.

Monte Vista has some GREAT stock, but a lot of houses with foundation issues... Ask yourself how much you're willing to spend on something that could be great (think 'The Money Pit' with Tom Hanks).

Yes, AH remains cliquey. Always has been, always will be. I don't see that as a bad thing as long as you can handle it. Good resale values on homes there. I'd consider AH a good investment in many ways, but socially, the area is a bit incestuous. Everyone seems to know everyone else's business.

Take Chaka's advice and come visit, walk around and see what suits you best

BN

Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Southtown looks very cool. It is very close to downtown and the parks downtown.

Thank you.

Is it a safe area?
Are there amenities there for residents (dry cleaners, grocer, etc.)?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
Southtown looks very cool. It is very close to downtown and the parks downtown.

Thank you.

Is it a safe area?
Are there amenities there for residents (dry cleaners, grocer, etc.)?
Dry cleaner, yes. Grocery no, at present. Hoping that will change soon!

safe, yes. But safe is relative. It really depends on you, which is why a visit is recommended. I've lived in Lavaca since 2002, initially as a single female, now married with kids. In 2002 it was still borderline, but I've always walked around at all hours, including walking home late at night from a night out downtown. I've never felt unsafe. But I do know people who have a different sense of "safety" and would be fearful if certain looking people were around, so it just depends on your perception. Part of what makes me feel safe is that there are always neighbors walking about or sitting out on their porches.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Dry cleaner, yes. Grocery no, at present. Hoping that will change soon!

safe, yes. But safe is relative. It really depends on you, which is why a visit is recommended. I've lived in Lavaca since 2002, initially as a single female, now married with kids. In 2002 it was still borderline, but I've always walked around at all hours, including walking home late at night from a night out downtown. I've never felt unsafe. But I do know people who have a different sense of "safety" and would be fearful if certain looking people were around, so it just depends on your perception. Part of what makes me feel safe is that there are always neighbors walking about or sitting out on their porches.
I love to walk around to restaurants and pubs for a night out and I don't like to be the only person walking on the sidewalk. I don't want my wife in that situation either.

Although I grew up in San Antonio, I moved to DC right after college. I really got used to the ease of urban life and the culture. I walked everywhere and I never felt unsafe because there were dozens of other people walking along with me.

I know San Antonio is different and not the same as the North East. But I would like to find some sense of a walkable neighborhood that is safe, if possible. I have kinda found that in Houston, although it is a little young (Midtown Houston).

I will look into Southtown. It looks very interesting and I like the fact that it is close to downtown and the Riverwalk.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 873 times
My fiancée and I live 2 blocks from Trinity University! We love this area! We originally located here because of his job and were in the 410/Culebra area....and after driving around and looking at different areas, we decided that we wanted to find something temporary in the Monte Vista area until we knew if his contract was going to continue. After being here for three months, we can't imagine living any where else. Anyway, we have live off of Mulberry Ave. and are centrally located to everything. Some of the restaurants and bars are within walking distance. And even if they are not within walking distance, there is a great selection in the same central location. We also have the convenience of Olmos Park/Alamo Heights!! We love San Antonio but because of where we live we sometimes forget that we live in a big city....people are walking, riding bikes, and running, even at 10pm in the evening! It is a great community and even though it has a small community feel, you can still stand on the street and see downtown SA right in front of you! There are many rentals in the area and many of them are in older historical buildings with much character and charm. Keep in mind that there are a lot of students in the area! We also spend a spend a lot of time in Alamo Heights....shopping and eating, and "cliquey" has never been an issue in us enjoying ourselves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio