Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Take a look at this thread: Gun Shows, Shops and Ranges in San Antonio

The few outdoor ranges close to Stone Oak are not overly recommendable, unless you have a DoD ID card at which point Camp Bullis would be your best bet.

Honestly, the best indoor range in SA at the moment is Nardis on the SE side of town (roughly 90 and 410). It's a bit of a drive, but worth it.

If you want something closer, Bass Pro has an indoor range but you have to make an appointment (210-253-8800) and check your weapon in with them at the front door.

Cheers! M2
410 and 90 is the East side and not the Southeast side.

Quote:
I've heard numerous accounts of them accusing people of doing things they aren't doing (e.g. shooting at the stands instead of the target, trying to shoot over the berms, etc.) and getting into incorrect arguments with people over what weapons can be used on what ranges (they don't seem to realize that ARs and AKs can be legal pistols).

They've also made some ridiculous modifications to that range because of the claims of stray rounds hitting a new neighborhood built a quarter mile or so away. A full-sized male cannot shoot normally with those overhangs and they expect people to crouch down when they shoot.

Frequent some local firearms forums and there are numerous threads about some of the antics there, Cedar Ridge and the Bullethole. These are accounts from people I know and trust, not some strangers. I have no reason to doubt them.
They are sticklers for rules at Bracken, true. They will run out to you and inquire to insure the safety for all. I don't see that as a negative but to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
410 and 90 is the East side and not the Southeast side.
In the Air Force we call that quibbling.

Quote:
They are sticklers for rules at Bracken, true. They will run out to you and inquire to insure the safety for all. I don't see that as a negative but to each their own.
I have no issues with safety, having shot regularly throughout my military career I am very aware of its necessity.

However, there's keeping a firm watch over the firing line and then there's being jerks; and both Cedar Ridge and Bracken have reputations for being the latter especially when the accusations are unfounded. The individual's I hear the stories from are not gang-banger-wannabes that you often see at the Bullethole; these are seasoned, experienced and mature shooters--mostly retired or former military--in their 50s and 60s.

I understand keeping an eye on younger, less-skilled shooters; but I work with a former law enforcement officer who was constantly badgered by the owner of Cedar Creek simply because she was a woman (he was not aware of her LEO experience). I would bet she is as good and safe of a shooter than he is, if not more so; and I've heard similar accounts from several other individuals about the guy.

I understand it's his property and his rules, but if he's going to treat customers like that then word will get around and it will impact his business. I have been very vocal about the unsafe conditions I witnessed firsthand at the Bullethole, especially considering the fact that the management there made no effort to stop it when informed about it. I wish things weren't that way there, but I am not going to lie to people about what I saw and experienced. The firearms industry is under a lot of fire at the moment due to recent events, the last thing we need is another ugly incident to generate even more public opinion against armed law-abiding Americans!

Old 01-05-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
In the Air Force we call that quibbling.

I have no issues with safety, having shot regularly throughout my military career I am very aware of its necessity.

However, there's keeping a firm watch over the firing line and then there's being jerks; and both Cedar Ridge and Bracken have reputations for being the latter especially when the accusations are unfounded. The individual's I hear the stories from are not gang-banger-wannabes that you often see at the Bullethole; these are seasoned, experienced and mature shooters--mostly retired or former military--in their 50s and 60s.

I understand keeping an eye on younger, less-skilled shooters; but I work with a former law enforcement officer who was constantly badgered by the owner of Cedar Creek simply because she was a woman (he was not aware of her LEO experience). I would bet she is as good and safe of a shooter than he is, if not more so; and I've heard similar accounts from several other individuals about the guy.

I understand it's his property and his rules, but if he's going to treat customers like that then word will get around and it will impact his business. I have been very vocal about the unsafe conditions I witnessed firsthand at the Bullethole, especially considering the fact that the management there made no effort to stop it when informed about it. I wish things weren't that way there, but I am not going to lie to people about what I saw and experienced. The firearms industry is under a lot of fire at the moment due to recent events, the last thing we need is another ugly incident to generate even more public opinion against armed law-abiding Americans!

On the Southeast side we call 410 and 90 the East side, the Eastsiders I have known call it the same.

Unsure what the military has to do with that?

I appreciate the rest of your information but keep in mind my comments were strictly directed toward Bracken. Now you bring up a whole host of other issues from other ranges, especially about safety, just adding in that those safety issues are not present at Bracken.

I have had them come to me, I was not offended, but maybe because I understand things a bit differently regarding my role, theirs, and the range. Have a nice day if you can.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,965 times
Wow, this is great discussion...thanks everyone! I am inferring from some of the posts that "rapid fire" is not looked upon favorably here in San Antonio? At my prior location (Wash DC area) that was fine.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyferris View Post
Wow, this is great discussion...thanks everyone! I am inferring from some of the posts that "rapid fire" is not looked upon favorably here in San Antonio? At my prior location (Wash DC area) that was fine.
Shooting from the hip to rapid fire isn't allowed anywhere. They will come check to insure you don't have a fully automatic.

Forgot to add Bexar Community Shooting Range in Marion.

Last edited by Merovee; 01-06-2013 at 04:47 AM..

Old 01-06-2013, 10:28 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
Nardis will let you draw from the holster but they will check you out first to see if you know what you are doing.

Having add a guy draw his gun and put a 45 ACP in the ground about a foot away from my toes - I appreciate that. They have bullet proof doors between the range and shop area - good plan!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Shooting from the hip to rapid fire isn't allowed anywhere. They will come check to insure you don't have a fully automatic.

Forgot to add Bexar Community Shooting Range in Marion.
Rapid fire and full auto is allowed at the Bullet Hole, you just have to get a private bay.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:10 AM

11 posts, read 17,443 times
Where is a good range to zero a rifle? I have not been able to find a low key gun range that would allow paper targets. I have low powered binoculars but would like to be able to walk down range.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 17,443 times
also, I would be willing to travel up to an hour out of town to find a gun range that would not be crowded.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,480 times
This is a great discussion.

To answer your original question, the best indoor range close to Stone Oak is Bass Pro in my opinion. It can be tedious since you have to check your weapon at the front, and watch someone who has no idea how to hold a firearm put a bulky trigger lock on. (often times pointing the barrel horizontally towards passing customers). The range master's name is Lee. The guy is tip top. He is a retired police officer, and competition shooter. He is very friendly, and courteous.

I don't go to Bracken anymore, I just don't like the atmosphere. They have very strict rules, such as claiming that your brass is now their property. I also hate the shooting bays, I am 5'8'' and I have issues with the low overhang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio