Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,966,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Duane, I'd suggest a little more research on your part before deciding which trade to jump into.

The building trades are iffy at best. During the first part of the 2000's, we couldn't find enough plumbers and electricians and you had all the work you wanted. Everybody made a lot of money. Then the mortgage crunch hit and there were plumbers and electricians on welfare as there was no work. This is just typical of the industry and there's a lot of history to substantiate it.

You might consider other trades. There is a huge demand for diesel techs right now especially on oil field equipment. As we progress thru time the diesel engine will be used more in our cars/trucks. Learning oil field maintenance is a prime industry and probably good for the next 20-25 years.

A truck driving job pays pretty decent and they are screaming for good drivers in the oil fields. There's always work for truck drivers. A guy that knows his way around a body shop will be busy. Folks are always going to be unwilling participants in car wars. Custom paint jobs pay major bucks.

The aircraft industry needs good mechanics and you mostly get to work inside a hanger- not bad versus a plumber/electrician who usually gets to work in the cold or heat.

A good gunsmith makes good bucks these days as does a machinist. With San Antonio going after more manufacturers there will be a huge demand for machinist and QC folks.

I'd look over the entire spectrum of what is up and coming and what industry fits you best. I've been in the building trades for over 50 years and if I had to do it over, I'd find something else. It's been interesting and fun but it's not a reliable paycheck.
Sorry for the edit Trapper...

My fathter was a aerospace/aviation sheet metal mechanic. He made a good living. I was a Aviation mechanical designer. The Aviation industry inwhole has taken a hit since 2008, but there are jobs here in S.A.. They have A&P programs at ACCD/East Kelly and Halmark.

I also thougtht you should go to local Trade Union's offices and just see if you could talk to the guys...ask them for advice. Better face to face with these guys.

I know it sounds hokie, but find something you love to do. There is nothing worse than waking in the morning dreading going to work. Dont stop learning. Every bit of knowledge makes you better...as an employee and as a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio