Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:13 AM

19 posts, read 36,956 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I are contemplating a move from Athens, GA to the San Antonio area. He has a job possibility and we're ready for a change from Georgia. Any information that you could give me on the area (schools, crime, activities for families) would be great but my main concern is acceptance. My husband and I are both white and our 2 small children, who were adopted from Africa, are African-American. Our community in Athens is pretty diverse and accepting of ethnically diverse families although there is still some opposition every now and then. My question is, how diverse is San Antonio and how accepting would the population be of our family? We also have quite a few animals and we prefer to live more rurally with about 5 acres or so. In Georgia, it seems that the further out we go into the "country," the more looks and opposition we encounter. Is it the same in this area? Looks are fine. I know we look different than most families and my kids are freaking beautiful, we just want to avoid rudeness or discrimination which, unfortunately, we've had to deal with here way too often. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM

392 posts, read 749,191 times
I don't think you'd really have any problems around here, and the Hill Country is awesome. The only thing I could see happening is for someone to mistake your kids as someone else's kids, but I personally don't imagine anyone somehow having a problem with the fact that you're a different color than your children... Hopefully y'all have a great move out this direction and fall in love with the area!!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM

584 posts, read 1,192,698 times
Don't worry about your children. My neighbors are white and they adopted three children from China. Blood isn't what makes a family. It is love. You have that obviously since you adopted.

Thank you for having so big hearts to open up your hearts to a beautiful family.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,875,013 times
I know both long time Texans and Mexican immigrants who own ranch land with animals in Atascosa. The local law enforcement told the immigrants it was fine to keep a weapon since they have to defend those animals.

One coworker was in a multiracial marriage in Atacosa and I never heard about any issues but he lived inside the city of Hondo.

I know long time Texans with ranch land but no animals in the Hill Country.

This is purely anecdotal.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,449,871 times
Hon, you have NOTHING to worry about! I have 6 different kids by 6 different men (ok...give it up, it is NOT what you think....we adopted while living overseas) and they all married interacially...we do not have a grandbaby that ANYONE would tag to us in a lineup! LOL GREAT news is SA is a melting pot and being "good people" is what you will be based on...not the color of your skin. So many military members here with foreign born spouses/adopted kids/etc. If YOU are a good person, you will be fine...if you are a PITA, people will react to that, not your or your kids color! WELCOME to SA!!!!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:33 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,681,224 times
you will be perfectly fine.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
you will be perfectly fine.
Yep. This.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM

282 posts, read 472,003 times
I have never seen so many interracial couples in my life before I came to San Antonio. Having said that, you and your family will be perfectly fine. If you do decide to make the move down here, welcome!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,447 times
In the city of SA you would be fine...the only potential issue I see is that you said you desire 5+ acres in a rural setting...those areas may be different. Not sure if you'd have issues or not, honestly.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM

314 posts, read 832,254 times
Is that still a thing?

Nothing to worry about here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio