Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM

19 posts, read 36,411 times

Advertisements

Im looking for a good sod delivery & installation company in San Antonio I figured what better place to ask for recommendations than this forum. Also I haven't really nailed down the type of grass to use we have two kids and a dog so I'm leaning towards something that can handle heavy traffic. So any tips?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Try Dels and Grass to Go. Both have worked well for me over the years. I'll let them recommend the type of grass you need.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Try Dels and Grass to Go. Both have worked well for me over the years. I'll let them recommend the type of grass you need.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 AM

862 posts, read 865,230 times
No matter what type of grass you buy make sure you are putting it on at least six inches of top soil. It will cost you a few bucks now but will save you a lot more in water down the road. The Texas AG extensions and Texas A&M have a lot of good information online to help you make an informed decision about your new lawn. One of the things they found was for drought tolerance the type of grass you have doesn't matter nearly as much as the amount of topsoil.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 AM

112 posts, read 179,324 times
Not sure I would even buy sod these days...aren't they going to soon stop us from watering much at all? Cuero gives good advice, though. We discovered upon doing other projects that our builder put no topsoil under the sod. We've since found out from friends this is pretty common unless you are watching them closely.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM

78 posts, read 199,372 times
Cuero is 100% right about the soil. There is a stuff SAWS and Texas A&M did a study on on sod survivability:
http://www.sodsolutions.com/pdf/saws...port_final.pdf

I doubt that the results would be the same if they did the study in Stone Oak because the test site had some very thick soils that the sod was able to draw moisture from.

I have Buffalo Grass/Curly Mesquite which we started from seed (I do not recommend doing this). It looks great and requires minimal maintenance. However, Buffalo would probably not work for you as it does not tolerate traffic.

Another thing to consider is how much sun will the grass be exposed to. Some hybrid Bermudas will be able to handle two dogs and children just great but will need at least 6 hours of sun. IF you have deep soils then Floratam may also be an option but it does not like freezing temperatures so if you live on north side of town you may have a problem.

Finally, I would strongly recommend putting of installing sod this year as San Antonio will most likely be going into Stage 3 and Stage 4.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
Jamur Zoysia is what you're looking for. Great for high traffic and drought tolerant. Pretty much perfect for Texas.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 PM

This is why I enjoy hese forums great information from several directions. After looking at the cost,forum recommendations, and the chance of water restrictions this summer we decided to start from seed. That way if it dies I've only lost about $50 bucks instead of $850 lol. Thanks everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardamir View Post
Cuero is 100% right about the soil. There is a stuff SAWS and Texas A&M did a study on on sod survivability:
http://www.sodsolutions.com/pdf/saws...port_final.pdf

I doubt that the results would be the same if they did the study in Stone Oak because the test site had some very thick soils that the sod was able to draw moisture from.

I have Buffalo Grass/Curly Mesquite which we started from seed (I do not recommend doing this). It looks great and requires minimal maintenance. However, Buffalo would probably not work for you as it does not tolerate traffic.

Another thing to consider is how much sun will the grass be exposed to. Some hybrid Bermudas will be able to handle two dogs and children just great but will need at least 6 hours of sun. IF you have deep soils then Floratam may also be an option but it does not like freezing temperatures so if you live on north side of town you may have a problem.

Finally, I would strongly recommend putting of installing sod this year as San Antonio will most likely be going into Stage 3 and Stage 4.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I like them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Jamur Zoysia is what you're looking for. Great for high traffic and drought tolerant. Pretty much perfect for Texas.
I have a couple of different varieties of grass in my yard and this is by far the best. The only drawback with it is that it doesn't go dormant when not watered like Bermuda does, it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joka84 View Post
This is why I enjoy hese forums great information from several directions. After looking at the cost,forum recommendations, and the chance of water restrictions this summer we decided to start from seed. That way if it dies I've only lost about $50 bucks instead of $850 lol. Thanks everybody
I tried seeding an area last year and it didn't work out so well. I would highly recommend that if you're going this route to get the seed in the ground now and water the hell out of it for the next two weeks or so.

Good Luck!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 PM

78 posts, read 199,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joka84 View Post
It takes about a year for a grass to establish itself so you will need to water what you plant a lot. I would suggest doing only a portion of the yard that will be small enough to water easily and wont be destroyed by your dogs.

Dont forget about the soil depth. It is REALLY important.

For those interested here is some info on Habiturf.
Native Lawns - Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

It is only available in seed but it should be available in sod in a year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio