Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,710 times

Advertisements

The 2013 Children At Risk school rankings are out: San Antonio Rankings and Data Files | CHILDREN AT RISK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 04:25 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Interesting. I have never heard of this organization. I thought it was strange how Lee HS was ranked so high on another list. It seems to be in the right place on this one.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Interesting. I have never heard of this organization. I thought it was strange how Lee HS was ranked so high on another list. It seems to be in the right place on this one.
Children at Risk has been doing this list for just a few years now (at least in SA), and I have tended to agree with most of their rankings.

Lee may be lower on this list because they separated out ISA (ranked #2). Other lists may combine them together since they kind of share a campus.

I've said it over and over: if Harlandale ISD (a poorer district by far) can have both of their "urban" high schools consistently ranked around the mid-point (a "C"), even above a few NEISD and NISD schools... then why does SAISD keep failing?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
Churchill ranking that high, number 7?!?!? I am like totally done with the Children at Risk list as they don't know what they're doing.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Churchill ranking that high, number 7?!?!? I am like totally done with the Children at Risk list as they don't know what they're doing.
Look into the methodology. Churchill is obviously a good test taking school. Methodology (2013) | CHILDREN AT RISK

Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,441,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I don't know why you think churchill wouldn't be ranked that. It's a pretty strong school.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
I've said it over and over: if Harlandale ISD (a poorer district by far) can have both of their "urban" high schools consistently ranked around the mid-point (a "C"), even above a few NEISD and NISD schools... then why does SAISD keep failing?
Because if you keep doing what you've always been doing, you'll keep getting what you've always been getting...

Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Children at Risk has been doing this list for just a few years now (at least in SA), and I have tended to agree with most of their rankings.

Lee may be lower on this list because they separated out ISA (ranked #2). Other lists may combine them together since they kind of share a campus.

SAISD is a much bigger district. That has an effect. They have the top middle school (YWLA) by this ranking and 3 others in the top 10. They have 4 elementary schools in the top 50 (other districts have more, but not Harlandale).

At the HS level, they have 1 in the top 20 and 3 more in the top 50. What this says is that while as a district SAISD is struggling, it has some significant standouts, as opposed to all being mid-point. There are a few bright As and Bs in the batch.

SAISD's Board has major problems, but there are a few bright lights. This, I believe, has less to do with SAISD and everything to do with the communities in which these schools exist. Our goal is to replicate the success at these few schools on other campuses, one school at a time.

Generally, I'm not a fan of rankings as I am not a strong believer in test scores mattering much. This organization is one of the few that factors in many variables, all of which have an effect on how a school performs.

Last edited by Chaka; 05-20-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 07:51 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Quote:

Someone posted this which made it seem as if Lee was the 3rd best high school in NEISD behind Reagan and ISA.
NEISD News | NEISD ranked among best high schools

It might have gotten a silver metal for I don't know what, but its numbers put it at the bottom with Roosevelt.
North East Independent School District | Texas | Best High Schools | US News

Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM

321 posts, read 1,069,710 times
Quote:

I believe a goal of this organization is to identify schools that go against the trend that poorer schools have lower performing students on standardized tests. That is why Economically Disadvantaged is the largest variable used in arriving at a score for the rankings: Methodology (2013) | CHILDREN AT RISK

If you look at the Full Details section, you'll see that Harlandale High is composed of 83% Economically Disadvantaged kids yet they score higher and thus their overall score floats them over some NEISD schools. In other words they are doing something right for a "poor" school. SAISD schools also have the high Economically Disadvantaged percentages, but their test scores are lower so their overall score keeps them lower in the rankings.

The affluent schools in NEISD and AHISD have relatively little Economically Disadvantaged percentages (10% and 15% respectively for Reagan HS and Alamo Heights HS) which would normally tend to pull them down in ranking except they score much higher on tests to offset this "disadvantage" and rise near the top. No surprise there - affluent areas tend to score higher. Again this organization's rankings are to pinpoint schools that are higher in ranking despite being poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio