Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 AM

11 posts, read 30,242 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have read many of the threads posted about relocation and neighborhoods; while my questions are somewhat similar, I think they are a little different as well.

My husband and I have the opportunity to move to San Antonio from Seattle, WA (his job). We visited in September and found that we liked it. We found a realtor and she took us to a few neighborhoods according to our description of what we said we are looking for. We visited Alamo Heights, Monte Vista, and Olmos Park. We liked all three of the neighborhoods, but I would have to say that we liked Olmos Park the best. We will be returning for another trip with the possibility of buying in January or February. I have still been actively searching from home. I have found that there are other neighborhoods as well that have good schools; i.e. Castle Hills and some near 1604 (right?). My question is; is there a big difference in the culture or openness of the people the farther you move away from the center of San Antonio (some cities are like that)? My husband is white and I am black, we will probably be starting our family soon and we want to be in a neighborhood, area, school district that is accepting and positive. Does anyone have good stories or bad ones? Any information would be helpful? I will say that while we were there, people were very friendly and when we went to look at houses, people were very nice (nice city).

Also, in our search we found a lot in a neighborhood called Terrell Heights. I researched that the neighborhood goes to the same school as Alamo Heights (which is a good one, right). I also found that in that neighborhood there has been alot of new commercial development, i.e. HEB, Lowe's etc. Our realtor thinks this is an "up and coming neighborhood." I do have to say it would be great to build our own house the way we want it, but we are not willing to sacrifice safety. Does anyone have any thoughts or information on this and the neighborhood?

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2006, 06:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Default Diversity in San Antonio

Hello GreatDane1,

Welcome to San Antonio!

The neighborhoods you mentioned are nice established neighborhoods. In my opinion, these neighborhoods would be a little more conservative than newer ones out by Loop 1604. Northern San Antonio (outside Loop 1604) would also fit in this group. Now, this doesn't mean people there wouldn't accept your family. San Antonio, is very diverse and we even celebrate those diversities during the Texas Folklife Festival in June and Fiesta week in April. Of course, there are many more festivals during the year. Some other good school districts are Northeast ISD (northeast SA) and Northside ISD (northwest SA).

Here is the official San Antonio web site:

http://www.sanantonio.gov/?res=1024&ver=true (broken link)

Old 10-05-2006, 07:44 PM

266 posts, read 706,357 times
Terrell Hills is a good area. you did mean Terrell hills? It right next to Alamo Heights, a up scale place. the strange part of that area is how quickly is turns to crap (imho) just a few blocks away!

if you travel a bit down broad way from Terrell hills, it only takes a mile or so before you are into what i call a bad area. that’s not to say i would live in Terrell hills, i would if i had the $$ lol.

i live in northern hills subdivision and love it. nice, quite, not too $$. but there are many areas around town like northern hills. you just have to drive around and look. a good realtor should point you in the right area!

I will say there is a big difference between the attitudes of south SA and north. I own a duplex on the south side and I have dealt with a lot of “differences” to the point where im selling it. There is defiantly attitude difference from what you are used to and south san Antonio. I am from Montana and understand the north western way of thinking, and I can tell you….its different here. Im not trying to offend, and im not saying its bad, its just different that the normal north western persons views.

That said, I love SA, though there is much I miss about home, public land, outdoor lifestyle, making friends easily, and most of all, mountains! There is a lot to gain here as well, weather being the biggest for me. Along with lots to do. There is always so party/festival/concert going on. I really love that part!

I think you are right choosing carefully where you live. Look very closely, once you find a place you like, find the closest Wal-Mart, HEB, and other stores you will use all the time and walk around and see if you feel like you fit in. I think that’s the best “test” you can do.

Last edited by mtdave2; 10-05-2006 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-08-2006, 10:15 PM

469 posts, read 2,341,990 times
I moved my family to northwest San Antonio last month and have noticed the mixture of races in our community. I send my daughter to the only preschool in our immediate area (it's a new community and this preschool is darn expensive!) and very few of the students there are 100% caucasian. There are indian (as in India), mexican, filipino, black, puerto rican,and mind you that's just in her classroom with 14 kids in it. I think what we are seeing though is the huge influx of people not from Texas. I have asked many of the parents where they are from and so far none have answered Texas. If you are looking for a less conservative area try looking just outside the 1604 loop in suburbia (oh the dreaded word).

Old 10-09-2006, 09:33 AM

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I am going to inform our realtor to take our search outside of 1604. It is funny how things happen. I never would have thought that we would be researching a move to San Antonio, however there is a job opening with my company there as well, go figure I agree with you MtDave about how there will be things I will miss about Seattle; but I was raised in NC and my husband in MI and it will be great to be somewhat closer to family and to see more sun.

Are there any neighborhoods specifically, that are great outside of 1604; schools included?

Old 10-09-2006, 07:30 PM

There are a lot, the more straight up north you go though the worse the traffic gets so take that into account. I know the Stone Oak area is very desirable and pretty expensive for Texas. We opted to not move there because it was too expansive and there aren't enough trees for our liking. I partially decided on our home because I liked the builder. Energy efficiency is uber important to us and we liked the fact that Medallion was a local builder. We then went to the different neighborhoods they were building and picked from there. We fell in love with the suburb of Helotes since it reminds us of home. Look on the websites of the builders, Pulte, Legacy, Medallion, KB, Toll Brothers. Even if you aren't buying new they have the neighborhoods mapped, the links to the local scools (keep with NISD, it's the north side district and it's very good), plus you can tell the worth of the neighborhoods by how the homes are priced. Then you go to MySanAntonio.com and there's a real estate link in the upper left hand corner, right below classifieds. You can then search for homes by subdivision.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
..We fell in love with the suburb of Helotes since it reminds us of home. Look on the websites of the builders, Pulte, Legacy, Medallion, KB, Toll Brothers. Even if you aren't buying new they have the neighborhoods mapped, the links to the local scools (keep with NISD, it's the north side district and it's very good), plus you can tell the worth of the neighborhoods by how the homes are priced. Then you go to MySanAntonio.com and there's a real estate link in the upper left hand corner, right below classifieds. You can then search for homes by subdivision.
My wife and I had a lot reserved in The Hills At Sonoma Ranch- a Medallion community! We ended up with another builder, but I can relate to your appreciation of Helotes.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:21 PM

We bought the last home in The Hills at Sonoma Ranch, a little spec home that happened to be available at the right place and time. They have opened up the last phase of homes here at Sonoma Ranch but they are more expensive now and we wanted something closer to $200k, not $300k. It's our first home and we love it!

Old 10-10-2006, 10:26 PM

470 posts, read 1,952,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
We bought the last home in The Hills at Sonoma Ranch, a little spec home that happened to be available at the right place and time. They have opened up the last phase of homes here at Sonoma Ranch but they are more expensive now and we wanted something closer to $200k, not $300k. It's our first home and we love it!
Congrats.
We were looking to build a Langford on Ponderosa Pass. Great community! I wish you the very best.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Locales

Hello,

TI told my husband the suggestions that around 1604 (north end) would be good for us. We were curious about the neighborhoods Latinocowboy and Michelle were referring to; where are they located? Can you build a custom home or do you pick from plans the builder offers? How is the resale in those areas?

Tks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio