Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,967,790 times

Advertisements

Looks like our Governor is starting to get dividends from his efforts to get business to come to Texas. Austin comes in 1st with Houston 4th and SA 5th as places in the USA to start a business. If you were considering a start up business, now is the time. Here's the article:
8 most business-friendly cities - San Antonio (5) - CNNMoney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 12:52 PM

112 posts, read 179,719 times
I always wonder why there are so many strip-malls built in SA and then half the spaces stay empty. Is the rent too high? Can people not get loans? Do people come up with ideas and then realize the demographics wouldn't support it? I'd like to see businesses other than fast food thrive here.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,566,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerfeeder View Post
I always wonder why there are so many strip-malls built in SA and then half the spaces stay empty. Is the rent too high? Can people not get loans? Do people come up with ideas and then realize the demographics wouldn't support it? I'd like to see businesses other than fast food thrive here.

I think that it's a combination of high rent (relative to revenue), poor business plan, and not enough capital. Any one of those could kill a business. Two or all three? Certain death.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:28 PM

810 posts, read 1,427,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerfeeder View Post
Agreed. How many drug stores and nail salons do we need?

Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,967,790 times
While the entire list didn't come up in the link, Dallas, Houston, and Austin were also on the list. That means that Texas is the number ONE spot in the USA to start a business with half of the cities rated best are in Texas. I think that supports everything our Gov. Rick Perry has been working for. Too bad we're gonna lose the guy next election but he's been quite the blessing to our city and state.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,974,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I think that supports everything our Gov. Rick Perry has been working for. Too bad we're gonna lose the guy next election but he's been quite the blessing to our city and state.
Ughhh!!! Is this thread about the CNN article or Slick Rick?

Old 06-20-2013, 04:08 PM

490 posts, read 1,096,141 times
These lists are ridiculous. There is no substance to justify the list's existence or the ordering of it. Texas is more business-friendly than a lot of places and the media has jumped on the bandwagon by re-listing the same cities over and over in a very unscientific way.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:21 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,495,671 times
I think you're giving Perry too much credit. Texas was already a business friendly state. Perry just advertises it. I can't wait until he's gone. He's an embarrassment.

With the new businesses come the transplants. IT companies complain about not having enough of a talent pool here, so they're recruiting from other states. That still leaves the natives working low-end jobs. At least we're good at attracting call centers.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:59 AM

865 posts, read 871,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I think you're giving Perry too much credit. Texas was already a business friendly state. Perry just advertises it. I can't wait until he's gone. He's an embarrassment.
Agree with the bold part. Nothing has changed in Texas, it's just that the rest of the country is finally feeling the effects of their choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
With the new businesses come the transplants. IT companies complain about not having enough of a talent pool here, so they're recruiting from other states. That still leaves the natives working low-end jobs. At least we're good at attracting call centers.
Most of the natives lack the education for anything but low-end jobs. It's a long-term cultural problem and their are no easy solutions. Throwing money at the problem is not an answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio